Sensor identification

DJB350Z

Personally I'd go with another tap.  Sure they have their issues but they do at least give you a chance of shoving a pipe on them and draining the coolant in a controlled way, not just dumping at all over the chassis rails/garage floor!

If it does block up you can just unbolt the while drain tap, giving you a fall-back that's the same as just using the blanking bolt.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Mjit said:

Personally I'd go with another tap.  Sure they have their issues but they do at least give you a chance of shoving a pipe on them and draining the coolant in a controlled way, not just dumping at all over the chassis rails/garage floor!

Prefer that myself Mjit ,car repairs are on the road where parked, don't want it to get washed into street drain and then the sea.

My block and rad drain tap wont turn easily to drain, haven't tried much force om them.

Have tried penetrating fluid, though no joy. I could try a bit of localised heat on it to try to get them to move, though maybe break it/stop it sealing?.

The cooling system has always appeared in good shape. No rusty water or clogging up parts, so maybe worth a gentle try?.

If rad and block did need plugging with a bolt after me messing, are both a pipe thread (or common imp) and if so what size threads please>

cheers, Dave 

Here's a rebuilt spare Triumph Block Drain Plug I have where I replaced the old steel & failed/corroded spring with a brass spring cut to length, there's enough tension in the spring to keep the plug tight.

The lever defies normal plug valve operation logic in that when shut the lever is in line with the valve (as shown), normal plug valves are lever at right angles its shut! ie the valve shown is in its SHUT position, so be careful it would be easy to break the lever off trying to turn the valve the wrong way! The issue is which way to turn the lever as the brass cam washer only permits the valve to turn one 90 degree rotation anti clockwise from shut to open, clockwise from open to shut, forcing it the wrong way will damage the cam or bend/break the lever!! 

The valve has an ingenious & simple brass cam washer that only enables the valve to rotate thro 90 degrees ie open and shut. Other than the spring the valve & its components are completely brass and will last forever! The brass spring could be S/S if you have or can get one.

Triumph Block Drain Plog Valve with Brass Spring.JPG

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Colin Lindsay said:

I like that!! Any pointers to a replacement spring?

Not really I’m a bit of a hoarder when a household appliance fails I strip it for anything useful screws nuts n bolts springs switch’s and I found the spring in my spring collection and cut it down so I must still have some left. (I’ve just replaced the door catch and timer on the daughters cloth’s dryer with parts from our old unit I stripped several years ago.)

Locally here there’s a small business making small springs he has a stock of everything I’m sure he or his like would have S/S springs of dia reqd which could then be cut to length.

Ref the rusted and broken. Split pin being steel it must eventually rust out as every thing else is brass, Ha! Try some heat (wait to SWMBO goes out and put it on the gas ring) and small drift (old  nail)

On 20/12/2022 at 21:13, Peter Truman said:

The lever defies normal plug valve operation logic in that when shut the lever is in line with the valve (as shown), normal plug valves are lever at right angles its shut! ie the valve shown is in its SHUT position, so be careful it would be easy to break the lever off trying to turn the valve the wrong way! The issue is which way to turn the lever as the brass cam washer only permits the valve to turn one 90 degree rotation anti clockwise from shut to open, clockwise from open to shut, forcing it the wrong way will damage the cam or bend/break the lever!! 

The only other circumstances I have come across where that happens, is on the Gauge Glass of Steam Boilers where all the Handles hang vertically in the operational position, ensuring that Gravity (or vibration) cannot 🤞 close off the glass and give a false, and potentially lethal indication. In point of fact, it is within the remit of the certifying inspector, to fail the boiler steam eaxamination if that parameter is not met.

"twas on the Monday Morning, when the gas man came to call".

Pete

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Peter Truman said:

Interesting, thanks for the info and it must be the inevitable exception to every rule! But in our case yes it could be hot water but the valve sits horizontal and in a location where it couldn’t be easily knocked, maybe Triumph raided someone’s parts bin!!

TBF. It come under the heading of "more useless information". And is part of a life that seems a long while ago now.☹️

Pete

On 24/12/2022 at 21:15, Peter Truman said:

Colin here's a photo of the rest of the brass spring I cut down to fix the drain plug, if your stuck I can send it in an envelope that postage I could bear, it would probably do two plugs.

Drain Plug Spring.JPG

Thanks for the kind offer, Peter, but you've spurred me on to see if I can equal your success. It's just a simple job once you illustrate it like that. If I can't raid the in-laws stocks for suitable springs then something's wrong.