Spark Plugs

cliff.b

Will be giving the Spitty a service shortly and thought I might replace the plugs.

Some time ago I read recommendations for Bosch W78 but then read they are now hard to find.

So just wondered, can you still get then, if so where, and if not, are there any other recommendations?

this came about because many makes stopped glazing the ceramic isolator and they dont clean up well with carb fueling 

the general was ngk 5-6 bpes  but they can noe suffer  

W78 seem discontinued 

the main snag is poor running on choke coats the ceramics with carbon ??  and the plug breas dwn early life 

so get the fast idle set quite high and get it up to temp by brisk driving not tootling round on choke  and most plugs of the correct range will work 

i have never had a problem with the base NGK and my view is never use a plug with an R in the suffix  our HT is not enough to work them at best 

Pete

30 minutes ago, Pete Lewis said:

this came about because many makes stopped glazing the ceramic isolator and they dont clean up well with carb fueling 

the general was ngk 5-6 bpes  but they can noe suffer  

W78 seem discontinued 

the main snag is poor running on choke coats the ceramics with carbon ??  and the plug breas dwn early life 

so get the fast idle set quite high and get it up to temp by brisk driving not tootling round on choke  and most plugs of the correct range will work 

i have never had a problem with the base NGK and my view is never use a plug with an R in the suffix  our HT is not enough to work them at best 

Pete

I haven't had any problems with the existing plugs, just thought it might be time to change them and seem to remember some claiming the Bosch plugs performed better than the traditional type. 

Not even sure I need to replace the old ones yet. How long do they usually last in our cars if all set up ok?

5 minutes ago, cliff.b said:

I haven't had any problems with the existing plugs, just thought it might be time to change them and seem to remember some claiming the Bosch plugs performed better than the traditional type. 

Not even sure I need to replace the old ones yet. How long do they usually last in our cars if all set up ok?

Err, 20K? More?

I can't remember the last time I replaced plugs. In my spitfire with teh ford engine they were in the engine befor eI rebuikt it, and done 30K more with me. But they are about £40 a set I think.

In my TR7 engine in my toledo, again reused the plugs that did 25K, all still fine. I did get some Bosch plugs to fit, but never got around to it. 

Just carry some spares.

4 minutes ago, clive said:

Err, 20K? More?

I can't remember the last time I replaced plugs. In my spitfire with teh ford engine they were in the engine befor eI rebuikt it, and done 30K more with me. But they are about £40 a set I think.

In my TR7 engine in my toledo, again reused the plugs that did 25K, all still fine. I did get some Bosch plugs to fit, but never got around to it. 

Just carry some spares.

Maybe I will save my money then. Nowhere near that sort of mileage yet.

41 minutes ago, cliff.b said:

19 minutes ago, dougbgt6 said:

On the other hand I had a misfire which turned out to be a plug, only done 2K!

I think it depends a lot on the car. Of my three, the only one that "gets through" plugs is the GT6. That's also the only one that's been properly set up. It also won't run at all on Champion - it must be NGK and they must be renewed annually. The other two really don't care and keep going just fine on whatever they had fitted five years ago.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Pete Lewis said:

the service schedule used be 10,000 miles for a plug change of the day 

the ngk bpes in the 2000 fitted in 2015 and still going fine with a re gap every year 

Pete

I'm not experiencing any problems 🤞 so I think I will just inspect and gap them this year.

the ngk bpes in the 2000 fitted in 2015 and still going fine with a re gap every year 

My 13/60 came with NGKs, back in 2015, I fitted replacements in 2018 which have done 5K miles and have been regapped once maybe twice. The originals are in my spares kit as known working replacements in case of need.

No idea what mine are in the P-107, suppose I should look, but they work fine all 3 of them. The generator is the worst, that is an NGK and has just had a replacement, allegedly should be OK but (pull) starting is still a BIG issue. Lately my Chain saw has been playing up as well. It soots the plug, but reducing the Oil might be the cure 40:1 rather that the recomended 20:1?. I think the ones in the 13/60 engine are NGK or Champion, either way they are only finger tight and there to stop the crap getting in. Whats the alleged issue with "irridium"? plugs?.

Pete

• 2 months later...

Just as a follow on to this, I had all the plugs out today to do a compression test, as I had access to a gauge, and noticed they are NGK BP6ES, which is what I was sold for a Spitfire, but I now see the 1500 engine specifies a BP5ES. Just wondered if anyone knows why it is different to the 1300s and what, if any, difference it might make. Seems to run ok but that is what has been in there since I bought the car.

the 5 withstands hotter temperatures than the 6   overall  not really a major difference  both would be pretty much  OK 

all due to emmisions the 1500 would by design run leaner/hotter  and also had a 88C coolant stat 

pete

Ok, changes due to meeting emissions requirements makes sense. I try to ensure my car doesn't run hot so if that's the reason, it's probably not an issue anyway.