Mathewsons Auction - Herald 13/60 Convertible

Gary Flinn

Very tidy car. The chromed rocker cover (not 13/60 type) looks out of place.

15 minutes ago, NonMember said:

I'm really not convinced by that driver's seat either.

I would say the original seats are wrapped up inside the car plus I suspect original wheels boxed in boot.

17 minutes ago, NonMember said:

No anti-burst hooks on the door or B-post

See what you mean about that.

No crossed flag badges, but then I'm not sure when/if they were deleted by Triumph. My Aug '68 has them - could be original or previous owner addition I don't know.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, NonMember said:

No anti-burst hooks on the door or B-post

I'm really not convinced by that driver's seat either.

True, but not a major issue to resolve?

I suppose the seats are an acquired taste!

It looks to have had a lot of work done and the interior looks all new including the Dash.

Gary

42 minutes ago, Gary Flinn said:

True, but not a major issue to resolve?

That depends whether they've fitted the reinforcement / attachment plates behind the panels. If not, it will need very awkward welding and much of the work done will be destroyed. My guess is they haven't - they've used saloon parts without consideration of the need to restrain the doors on a convertible.

20 hours ago, NonMember said:

That depends whether they've fitted the reinforcement / attachment plates behind the panels. If not, it will need very awkward welding and much of the work done will be destroyed. My guess is they haven't - they've used saloon parts without consideration of the need to restrain the doors on a convertible.

I always though the threaded plates within the 'B' posts were already present, or an I getting mixed up and it's simply the indentations that are present on the 'B' Post for drilling the holes?  

Whatever is the case, I certainly wouldn't let it put me off bidding if the price was right, I know the door mounted male part is screwed into a loose threaded plate within the door, so it wouldn't be to big a job to make some of these up, if you can't find any on E-Bay or off one of the usual suppliers. 

I've not looked at the car in the flesh and I suppose it could well be a converted Saloon, but again so long as the price isn't ridiculous and the works been done to a good standard with the correct front Bulkhead, again it shouldn't be a major issue.

I do like originality, but it looks a nice restoration (A closer inspection is certainly worthwhile though before bidding)

PS - If it was a Vitesse I may well be booking a day off and having a trip up to Pickering for sure, although I've got to sell mine first!

Gary         

20 minutes ago, NonMember said:

I'm not sure that getting the anti burst parts would be that easy either

4 minutes ago, Gary Flinn said:

They do get listed on E-Bay occasionally, usually not cheap though.

Here are the parts that go on the 'B' Posts 

Then there are the parts for the doors.

Still a nice example, I'm sure it will go for a good price.

1 hour ago, Chris A said:

Very tidy car. The chromed rocker cover (not 13/60 type) looks out of place.

I would say the original seats are wrapped up inside the car plus I suspect original wheels boxed in boot.

See what you mean about that.

No crossed flag badges, but then I'm not sure when/if they were deleted by Triumph. My Aug '68 has them - could be original or previous owner addition I don't know.

Lack of flags (they were deleted on the very late cars only) may point to a saloon tub having been used, that may also explain the lack of anti-burst catches. I was hoping for a look at the top of the screen, but the hood is firmly up. It's funny they've welded new D-plates to the bonnet but then coated them in black, not body colour. Could be a good car but I'd need to know more and of course it all depends on the final price.

Flags? I don`t have them in the "kit of parts", Late 70 build, Jan 71 reg.? Nice gaps though, doubt mine will come anywhere near that. I thought you couldnt use a saloon (rear) Tub on a C-V? the rear and seat setup are different?. Due to the need to fold the Hood?.

Pete

16 hours ago, PeteH said:

Flags? I don`t have them in the "kit of parts", Late 70 build, Jan 71 reg.? Nice gaps though, doubt mine will come anywhere near that. I thought you couldnt use a saloon (rear) Tub on a C-V? the rear and seat setup are different?. Due to the need to fold the Hood?.

Pete

Same basic body tub for all models, just adjusted as required with differing wings, rear decks etc. You can use a saloon tub if you swap over the rear deck and hood frame assembly, just split the welds and remove those particular panels you need from a convertible tub then do the same on the replacement tub and remove the saloon bits, before rewelding the convertible parts on instead. 

Edited by Colin Lindsay

It came under consideration, back in the 80`s. I "found" a C-V front end write off, A Herald I think, and if the Scrappy owner had not been greedy, the idea had been the turn SWMBO`s Vitesse Into a C-V by swapping out the rear Tub. In the end, decided to stick with the saloon and the full length "webasto" roof. XGH465G, Recorded as still "sorned" since about 2012?, so likely gone now?

Pete

Edited by PeteH

On 13/03/2023 at 20:25, PeteH said:

Pete

My 13/60 was built Dec 1969 and is a no flag car!