oldest roadworthy Herald in the world??

ahebron

https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/motors/cars/triumph/other/listing/4092926917

Description

1959 Triumph Herald coupe First registered in New Zealand in January 1960, this car left the factory on 22nd June 1959, and joined the second shipment of 12 Heralds to New Zealand in August 1959. With the commission number of Y999, this car has all the characteristic features of the very earliest Heralds, and is thought to be the oldest roadworthy Herald in the world – a few earlier Heralds exist both here and elsewhere but are unusable. The car was acquired in 2009 in a much modified state from Queenstown. It underwent a full body-off restoration (photographic record available), and was repainted in its original colours of Coffee and Sebring white. The upholstery and dashboard were replaced with original patterns, although the latter lacks a correct glovebox lid and, being 64 year old cardboard, is slightly deformed. The original vinyl panels are a bit discoloured – not surprising after so long. New carpet. It didn’t have a factory rear seat, which was an optional extra for this model. I have a pattern for the original inner front mudguard rubber skirts. It was re-vinned with its original registration number, and certified for the 1200 engine that was in the car when I obtained it. While waiting for the certifier at VINZ the car suffered three small paint gouges (see photos). Otherwise the paint is in excellent condition. The car has five new tyres, new trunnions, new suspension bushes, new tie rod ends, and most if not all other replaceable suspension, brake and steering components. The excellent 1200 engine is mated to the original gearbox and a 4.11:1 differential, both a bit noisy. Petrol and temperature gauges have stopped working.The car comes with a spare 1200 engine and gearbox, spare 4.55:1 Herald 948 differential, non-factory rear seat, and many other spare parts. New 12 month registration and WoF.

• 3 weeks later...

That's a winner!! Long time since I saw it in the flesh, though.

Claims of earliest / oldest / most original can be quite entertaining, especially on eBay or other Classic Car sites - I've seen Heralds advertised as 'less than 30 left on UK roads'. I used to attend shows where one particular model of Triumph was displayed as 'the only one of it's kind in the country'. I used to park mine beside it just for devilment.

Let`s Face it!!. It`s almost certainly the case the vast majority of "Classics", regardless of Marque, are very much "Triggers Broom". IF they have had any sort of "working" life.

I don`t doubt there is the occasional one that Got laid up early on and unused for years, But when Like my 13/60 they have near 109.000 recorded (MOT) miles. I guess a Lot of the vehicle will not be original.

Pete

There are still some superbly original cars out there, but many of the owners don't see the need to promote them. I'm still being surprised at small country shows by the odd Herald that appears, the owner has had it from new, goes to one show a year (as it's his church or whatever) and then garages it the rest of the year. They're never modified in anyway and sadly never for sale until the owner dies, then some oik buys them, lowers the suspension, adds minilites, adds a few extra switches etc then gets bored within a year as it won't keep up with his mate's Subaru and sells them on. It's happened to more than one locally.

Edited by Colin Lindsay
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I was told many years ago. When I  had G11 that Triumph built 500 Coupés first and then built 500 saloons. Never seen that written anywhere since. Or how true it is?

Still any car that was built back then is pretty amazing if it is still road worthy without much work. My 1959 Coupe (Y798) was a basket case when I got her in 1979, only 20 years later and according to the vendor had been just about scrapping through the MOT for several years before that. It was me or the scrap yard, and it had only done about 35,000 mile's. Not bad for £100 I thought. 🤔

Well done to any one that keeps any old vehicle in a road worthy condition. Don't recycle ... keep using....