Shock Absorbers

The last couple of occasions i'v replace my shock absorbers i recalled the times when, having spent a more on the adjustable ones, i invariably ended up setting them to the middle-setting!   

If the car is for road use i just opt for new std. ones now and pocket the change ...... well, ok, spend it on something else ;)

..... Andy

Agree with Andy, the main trait of adjustables is what to set them to

without a chassis dyno or a developement devision its a lot of trial and error but never own up to the fact you cant set the bump and rebound to any specification,

but like many aftermarket bling make out it has to be better

pity as very often its not

Pete

Hello Darren,Everyone will have their own opinions but when I did a full suspension overhaul (Spit 1500) I used KYB shock absorbers and blue grade Polybush kit. I didn't want to start playing around with adjusting the settings...

Again, each to his own but I have been delighted with the outcome, the car really does handle and ride far,far better than before. The info I was given is that KYB supply many new car manufacturers. Good luck!

I have had KYB on a few (more modern) cars and been happy with them. Yes, they are an OEM supplier, so quality should be very good.

Heard a ate that a Triumph rally car kept breaking one of the makes in your girst post (can't remember which) so went to KYB and no issues at all. 

As far as I know KYB is the only make now that you can get to fit our cars. I would avoid the cheap black painted far eastern sourced ones that a few big suppliers offer as they have a short life and the bushes don't last and are an odd size so can't be replaced. We used to stock Monroe though they were getting more expensive, however they have now stopped making them.

The other option is wait till Stoneleigh and see what new old stock there is about Woodhead, Monroe, Gabriel etc.

I have read of concerns over KYB shocks on the Rover 75 MGZT forum but that might just be specific to that fitment.

I remember fitting Spax to the rear of the herald in the early 90s. Set em stiff. Cornered appallingly ! The shocks and springs on the front were new in 85 and after about 60,000 miles still work brilliantly, the rears have been changed three times.....

I got mine from www.autopartswarehouse.co.uk and I can't believe it's 5 years ago! Never regretted it. At that time they were very competitive for prices.

Thanks for that, seems your supplier is no longer around. Managed to find here instead: https://www.buypartsby.co.uk/buy/TRIUMPH/SPITFIRE/1.5/1978/__/101/steering-suspension/shock-absorbers/kyb-shock-absorber You have to select a Spitfire 1500, won't find them under Herald or any other Spitfire model.

• 3 weeks later...

I gather from all this that standard shock absorbers are the best bet and you'd only be wasting money on the adjustable type.  I see that the Club shop has Monroe available at around £105, has anyone tried these and with what results? Also do you need to replace any bushes at the same time or is it just a matter of bolting in the new shocks?

No, adjustable shocks are very useful IF that is what you need, but many people just want shocks that do their job properly. That means the cheap black (I think they are marked Armstrong, who USED to be good, just like monroe and others, but I suspect the name was bought and used on the cheapest shocks they could make) shocks should not be on the shopping list.

Worth keeping your eyes open and ears to the ground, NOS shocks do turn up. Usually availability is good at the Stoneleigh spares day.

Shocks should come with new bushes. And beware ebay sellers and others selling front shocks that are missing the spring platforms.

• Like 1

When I was doing my suspension I decided not to go for adjustables for all the reasons given here. The shop had Monroe fronts for £117.60 but.I think they were out of stock, so I got Club Shop Gaz fixed length for £158. I'm very pleased with them, a vast improvement. The came with new bushes, oddly the front had rubber and the rear polybush. The polybush are a devil to get in, I had to drag my vice around the back of the car to squeeze them on/in.