Paint colour code

BrianY

Hello all. I have finally reached the point where I am about to put some paint onto my Mk1 Vitesse. I have decided on Powder Blue and have had some mixed to match a sample swatch that the club shop kindly sent me. The primer is going on very nicely and I am feeling brave enough that I think I will have a go at putting the "white" stripe along the car The thing is that I had not initially intended to do this as I thought it might be pushing my skills( and that might still prove to be the case but nothing ventured is nothing gained ) so I have not researched this colour so far and I think the stripe would denote the car really well. So can you help me with a match for the white/cream colour that Triumph used please. Is there a modern colour out there that would do?  Help and advice would be appreciated. Thanks

Thanks everyone. The problem I have is that suppliers would not ship paint to Northern Ireland, that might have changed but I doubt it so I have to get it mixed locally. My go to paint supplier cannot reconcile the Triumph codes on his system to get the mix formulation. They can do current colours and I was thinking that the creamy white colour used on modern BMW minis might be close to what I recollect as the colour but it might be a bit too cream.  My paint guru sold me a Mercedes silver for the wheels and said that it was a good match that lots of guys used on 70's cars. I have to agree that it has worked very well and looks perfect on the wheels. so I am looking something similar for the stripe.

6 hours ago, BrianY said:

The problem I have is that suppliers would not ship paint to Northern Ireland, that might have changed but I doubt it so I have to get it mixed locally. My go to paint supplier cannot reconcile the Triumph codes on his system to get the mix formulation. They can do current colours and I was thinking that the creamy white colour used on modern BMW minis might be close to what I recollect as the colour but it might be a bit too cream.  My paint guru sold me a Mercedes silver for the wheels and said that it was a good match that lots of guys used on 70's cars. I have to agree that it has worked very well and looks perfect on the wheels. so I am looking something similar for the stripe.

They still won't supply here. Try AC Components at Portadown, if you're over that way, although there's a good paint supplier at Mallusk that I only know of by reputation. Mine was scanned from a bootlid into their (AC's) computer, after which they gave me the nearest modern equivalent (VW Delft White) for the modern colour my 13/60 is sprayed with. Colours fade over time and scanning is the best method of matching older paint especially for body shops / accident repair setups. 

Thanks everyone for your input. its a problem and as you say Colin any original paint will have faded or changed by now and I wonder how consistent the colours actually were back in the day. I can get the Wedgewood Blue scanned from the sample that Angie at the club shop very kindly sent me but to my eye its not as light as as a car of a friend who was an automotive painter and who resprayed his car Wedgewood 10 odd years ago! So its a difficult one . Thanks Colin for the heads up on VW Delft White , I will take a look at this and see if I can get a sample mixed.

Paint colours are a total PITA. One gross example being A Ford Metalic Blue circa 1980, which had 26 variants!. The Valencia, supplied to myself from Club Shop is, for me, more green than blue, when Tested across a variety of base colours.!

Pete

15 hours ago, BrianY said:

Thanks Colin for the heads up on VW Delft White , I will take a look at this and see if I can get a sample mixed.

I can send you the codes for that one, but it's a very bright white along the lines of the later 'New White' colour. My estate is Triumph White Code 19, a creamier white and one I'd go for, for a side stripe for that period pastel look.

Thanks everyone for you input. Today was interesting. I have primed the car in a 2k epoxy primer sealer manufactured by a firm called Axalta. I have to say that in my limited experience it mixed easily and went on very easily , no tendency to sag or run and gave a lovely cover and finish. In my research on this stuff it appears that  Axalta were Dupont in the distant past and on the internet I found a site giving paint code equivalents for Triumph colours for a number of suppliers and included were two codes Dupont 8451 for Triumph 26 Wedgewood Blue and Dupont 8449 for Triumph 19 white. Now I thought that this would be too easy and I was correct. I asked my friendly Axalta paint supplier if his computer would recognise these codes , no problem , in they went and the results came back. It recognised both codes but the colours it brought up were a Rover brown for the Triumph 26 and a Renault red for Triumph white 19!  I had thought that the current Altaxa software might have recognised the old codes not no .So I give up. I have a blue that I like and which I think is close to Wedgewood and I am going with that.  Incidentally at our branch meeting last night, (my first attendance and  guys once again thanks for the advice,) no one thought that the sample of Wedgewood that the club sells and which Angie in the club had sent we was anyway close to the correct colour! So there you have my experience..  Once again many thanks for the advice and photos.