Stepping into the past.

My first drive in my new to me Spitfire was a bit like stepping into memories of my past.

Quite a dim and distant past actually, some 40 odd years ago since my last Triumph convertible.

Having in the meantime got used to the insulation you feel in using modern modes of transport the Spit was a bit of a revelation.

It's low, noisy, rattles over the bumps and spoils your hair do - - but By Gum it was thrilling - the word visceral best sums it up.

I particularly loved how direct and full of feeling the steering was tucking into a corner, no management system between you and the shaft of steel to the rack and out to the wheels, wonderful.

I came back home feeling like James Dean and thinking of that girl - now what was her name a real looker all those years ago.

So the Spit is back in it's nice warm dry garage till such time as this septuagenarian has the courage to gird his loins again for a foray into the past.

I don't think it will be long.

Regards to all,

Your's Aristotle. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Chris A said:

You're right, 'resistance is useless'

Hmmm, “You can checkout anytime you like. But you can never leave”

I took my test in  Herald, curtesy of BSM, Feb 1960. Passed despite near throwing the examiner through the front screen, when a cyclist came off in the rain in front of us. Needless to say he didn’t ask for a “crash stop”.

Pete

Edited by PeteH

8 hours ago, dougbgt6 said:

I'm afraid you're infected, there is no cure, no escape. you belong to US! :lol:

Doug

This is possibly true.

Interesting your photo shows a very similar pale blue Vitesse to my last - all those years ago Triumph convertible, except mine was a 1600 six.

My interest in the Spitfire predates that though to a time in the early 60's when a chap who belonged to our gang turned up in a brand new powder blue Spitfire - - his rather well off pater bought it for him..

Our collective chins hit the floor in envy and all these years later I decided it was now or never. 

6 hours ago, Pete Lewis said:

oh come on  PICTURES    please 

Pete

Very well, a reasonable example I think, things to do over the winter but I shall just enjoy for now.

Pretty much everything works, except the clock !

How to fix questions will follow in due course.

Spit.jpg

Spit 5.jpg

Spit 7.jpg

• Like 6

2 hours ago, johny said:

Recommend checking all fluid levels before doing many miles. The gearbox and diff have small capacities and theres been a few cases of units being damaged because of insufficient oil😞

Just the kind of info required - most useful, many thanks.

2 hours ago, Pete Lewis said:

when youre ready    a   tip to check the diff remove n/s wheel  and access filler plug through the chassis  

far easier than groveling underneath 

the breather is just above the filler  check the split pin is clear of gunge

Pete

I've invested in a trolley jack for just such an exercise which together with my axle stands your and Johny's advice should make the necessary checks much easier - thank you.

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (1979)

“You can't throw us into space,” yelled Ford, “we're trying to write a book.” “Resistance is useless!” shouted the Vogon guard back at him. It was the first phrase he'd learnt when he joined the Vogon Guard Corps.

My wife has a copy of the book, signed by Ford Prefect from when she worked with him in some theatre somewhere in the galaxy . .

Yes, Chris, the Truth is not only Out There, it is worse than you think!

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" Episode #1.2 (TV Episode 1981) - IMDb

Prostetnic Vogon Jeltz of the Galactic Hyperspace Planning Council.    It wasn't his cruel personality, his torture or his lack of any humanity that was worst.  It was his poetry.

Are you ready? 

Oh freddled gruntbuggly,
Thy micturations are to me
As plurdled gabbleblotchits on a lurgid bee.   

• Haha 1

Sincerest apologies to Aristotle for the thread drift; it happens! In any case lovely Spitfire, enjoy your trips especially into the past, especially with that casette player. It's amazing how simple things like that give so many memories and so much joy, even something like a cigar / cigarette lighter - NOT a 12v power outlet - is so familiar.

6 hours ago, Colin Lindsay said:

Sincerest apologies to Aristotle for the thread drift; it happens! In any case lovely Spitfire, enjoy your trips especially into the past, especially with that casette player. It's amazing how simple things like that give so many memories and so much joy, even something like a cigar / cigarette lighter - NOT a 12v power outlet - is so familiar.

I did think it was getting a little esoteric, meaning - - "intended for or likely only to be understood by a small number of people with a specialized knowledge or interest".

Perhaps it's a Triumph thing.

Any road up - as they say where I come from - thank you all for your comments.