Rubber Bumper removal.? 13/60.

PeteH

I want to clean and Paint behind the Fitted rubber Bumper`s. Where I can see some corrosion (pre-emptive strike!) I believe they should just "flip off" i-e; just clipped over once the end caps are removed?.

Anyone confirm?. I would hate to rip chunks out of the Valences.

Pete

Unfortunately the white rubber bumpers go brittle with age - you are very likely to break lumps off the bumpers!

The last time I did this job - in the 1990s (on the rear of the car only) I removed the rear chrome over-riders & end caps, lubricated (poss.WD40?)  behind the bumpers & carefully knocked them off with a block of wood & a mallet. Good luck.

I was watching a programme called (I think) 'Repair Lot' on Freeview 'Dave' on Sunday & I watched the bumpers fall apart as they tried to remove them from a late 1200 saloon (or Coupe as they kept calling it)- new ones were required.

Chris

If you can, get a good wax treatment (Waxoyl in aerosol can with long nozzle) and spray that in behind the rubber bumper, anywhere you can get the nozzle in - removing the end caps reveals the side profile and some good gaps. Fill with as much as you can, it will find its' own level eventually and should help treat or prevent any rust in behind, without having to remove anything difficult.

What Fastenings are used to secure the (I am assuming?) metal fittings that in turn secure the Bumpers to the valences then? I-e; Nuts/bolts, self tappers.

Sadly, I can already see indications of Paint being affected by corrosion.

Pete

Yes, I have access to a set of Vitesse style alloy "bumpers". Which I must admit, do look more attractive. So maybe that is the option?. A fair bit of "originallty" is already gone, (Spitfire Engine for one) so some more won`t really make a lot of difference. I might dig them out of storage, and see if they will clean up.

Pete

vitesse do look good only problem you may have is how good the valance is behind the rubbers , the you will need to remove the mounting strips first before fitting  the vitesse will properly need some valance repair work , i have personally done the conversion  many times paul , 1 point you need a decent pop rivet gun

2 hours ago, foshi said:

vitesse do look good only problem you may have is how good the valance is behind the rubbers , the you will need to remove the mounting strips first before fitting  the vitesse will properly need some valance repair work , i have personally done the conversion  many times paul , 1 point you need a decent pop rivet gun

I’ve used stainless screws instead of rivets on my Vitesse They look ok and the sections easily removed 

Paul image.thumb.jpg.1bb0d8433a7b45931dac2b70e80f3000.jpg

• Like 1

Dug them out of the "Stash", they look pretty decent and are a complete set👍. Now to find the Alloy cleaner/polish?.

image.jpeg.03b085da3f9b2b80b8be09a89aff76d5.jpeg

Something else came up. The Dash Steering mount, is "Listed missing". I am sure it was there, but no sign of it in the "storage facility" (Shed), I think it`s Called :- (708098 Triumph Herald Steering Column Support Upper??). Without it I cannot get the steering back into the "kit of parts". And I now need to be thinking of moving it to storage, to bring "Plum" inside to work on over the winter. Anyone out there got one?. I know Rimmer don`t, and spitbits sold their last one recently. Canley`s website was down earlier. any suggestions?.

Pete

• 2 weeks later...