Faint pulsing noise.

Wagger

I agree guys, there are other marks concealed in the caliper. These marks should wear away as they would have been from a long period 'Parked up'. It is impossible to see the backside of the disc. It is all being checked out this week while I am away enjoying my 76th birthday by not working on it. In Winchester now and will be in Charmouth tomorrow.

6 hours ago, Pete Lewis said:

Happy Birthday   then you will soon be catching me up  Ha !!

Pete

Thanks PeteL. Currently I am sitting on the East side of a valley in Charmouth, gazing at the scenery all around in full sunshine. Walked to the beach earlier where recent falls prevent walking to the foot of Golden Cap at high tide.

We have been visiting here since the Millenium, but not for the last ten years. Much of it remains the same but the Pubs open for less time and here are fewer of them. I miss the 'Eldridge Pope' Beers.

all i remember of a visit to Charmouth (well not really) was some geezer with big motor bike fitted with some proximity alarm  which kept repeating 

Move away from the Bike it is armed ......so loud the grockles just kept taunting it ,  the amusment didnt last long 

but we did walk the shores and never found a dinosaur footprint 

have a nice holiday 

Pete

Charmouth used to be part of my “district” back then there was a Hotel that had an ancient “still” steam tea boiler gas fired which had to be examined annually. Nice little place a bit bleak in the dead of winter though. Palmers Brewery in Bridport was one of my annual jobs too. Preferred EP though. Even better was the Badger brewery at Blandford. Always came out of there with freebie or two. The cob at Lyme was where the classic film shots where made for The French Lieutenants Woman. West bay was the location for Broadchurch. Amorite’s where regularly pulled out of Portland Quarry. I had 2 on the rockery in Yeovil. Curtesy of the owner who’s  showman’s steamer I used to examine. Memories, prompted by just a tiny reference.?

Pete

Edited by PeteH

5 hours ago, PeteH said:

Charmouth used to be part of my “district” back then there was a Hotel that had an ancient “still” steam tea boiler gas fired which had to be examined annually. Nice little place a bit bleak in the dead of winter though. Palmers Brewery in Bridport was one of my annual jobs too. Preferred EP though. Even better was the Badger brewery at Blandford. Always came out of there with freebie or two. The cob at Lyme was where the classic film shots where made for The French Lieutenants Woman. West bay was the location for Broadchurch. Amorite’s where regularly pulled out of Portland Quarry. I had 2 on the rockery in Yeovil. Curtesy of the owner who’s  showman’s steamer I used to examine. Memories, prompted by just a tiny reference.?

Pete

I lived in Weymouth 1990 to late 91. That was too busy in the Summer, but great in the OFF seasons. I liked Hardy's 4% ABV, Not the double fermented 14% stuff. Nothing else is close. Flower's original is gone too. We still have Harvey's in Lewes, but their best ales do not travel far.

My eldest brother and wife stayed with me Sept 1990 and we had a whale of a time.

Edited by Wagger

19 hours ago, Wagger said:

I lived in Weymouth 1990 to late 91. That was too busy in the Summer, but great in the OFF seasons. I liked Hardy's 4% ABV, Not the double fermented 14% stuff. Nothing else is close. Flower's original is gone too. We still have Harvey's in Lewes, but their best ales do not travel far.

My eldest brother and wife stayed with me Sept 1990 and we had a whale of a time.

The Fish and Chips in the Pub on the quayside. Where to die for back then. Nearly as good as back up here if fact.

Pete

OK, the family's trusted mechanic checked the discs and they are not cracked. The marks are just where it has been parked unused whilst we were touring in the MOHO. He changed nothing because the MOT is due soon and he checked the car with a stethoscope and found that the noise is loudest at the differential. He charged me nothing for a whole day's investigation. I am grateful as some would have changed the discs regardless.

I have found a stretch of road with gentle turns left and right. If I drive at 43 mph the noise is really audible but fades entirely on a long left curve. It gets loader on a long right curve. In the past, this has been how I check wheel bearings but cannot remember which side of the car it will be and whether it is the 'Inner' or 'Outer race. These things can go on for many miles before they get worse, so the MOT will be the time to decide what to do. There are two CV joints on each rear driveshaft, so it could be one of those transferring the noise to the diff casing.

I really need a ULEZ compatible car (Unfortunately) as I have not visited stepson and family in Walthamstow this year. Must do to appease his mum to be fair.

A very sick brother may be parting with his compliant car due to a terminal condition, so maybe it is time to 'Move with the times'. Meanwhile, I'll put up with it and use the MOHO for long journeys.

On 13/09/2023 at 18:12, Wagger said:

Thanks PeteL. Currently I am sitting on the East side of a valley in Charmouth, gazing at the scenery all around in full sunshine. Walked to the beach earlier where recent falls prevent walking to the foot of Golden Cap at high tide.

We have been visiting here since the Millenium, but not for the last ten years. Much of it remains the same but the Pubs open for less time and here are fewer of them. I miss the 'Eldridge Pope' Beers.

Wifes family used to live in Charmouth.  We have walked above the cliffs to Golden Cap and back from Seatown along the beach.   We were younger then....

22 hours ago, mark powell said:

Wifes family used to live in Charmouth.  We have walked above the cliffs to Golden Cap and back from Seatown along the beach.   We were younger then....

We have been going there since 2001. We walked up Stone Bank Hill every time until this visit. Used to stop at a pub in Morecombelake which closed around 2012. Then walk back via Golden cap and a disused church.

16 year old dog said 'No' this time and refused to ride in the pram bought for her, so we failed this time. Left her in the van and did two hour stretches with the nine year old dog, who is just lazy. Can't win.

Edited by Wagger

• 2 weeks later...

Doing some work in the front garden, I noticed a bright spot on nearside front tyre, one of the pair I had fitted at the beginning of this thread. Removed the nail and the pressure dropped, so I put the proper spare on. Next trip out, no pulsing at all. Therefore, that tyre has a fault, or the wheel does.

I'll have it replaced and try again. I don't believe that the nail has always been present. However, I have had more nails in new tyres than in worn ones. They are softer and stickier, so pick up debri.

Oh well, a nail has saved me swapping and searching. That is a plus.

Aren't the Spitfire rear wheels if Minilite replica's are fitted a PITA to put on! the wheels tuck under when jacked up so they have to be lifted up and held on the studs or the wheel falls off the studs all whilst trying to centralize the wheel holes with the studs as the wheel holes are larger than the stud dia and then trying to get the chrome nuts on without cross threading, took me 5 min each and I was bug***d last week after having to remove the wheels to bleed the rear brakes! 

Wagger I think I agree with you re new tyres and punctures, my mate brought his wife a new top of the range Merc, which has NO spare and special run flat tyres which Mercedes say can't be repaired. In the first 3 months 3 flats that required new run flat tyres at $800 each, Mercedes want $5k to replace the run flat tyres and their special rims with 5 standard tyres and normal rims., Mercedes won't give him a credit for any of the replaced tyres/wheels. I can get him normal Michelin correct fitment tyres at 50% off under $800 for 5 tyres, so he's tyring to source the correct Merc wheels at a reasonable cost, no one wants the near new run flat rims! fortunately he has a very large garage/shed for 8 cars so he can store them, hey in time they might become collectable?

Edited by Peter Truman

I have not had a problem with Runflats before this, AND a local fitter here will repair them so long as they have not run with no pressure. However, I never put a repaired tyre of any description on the front wheels.

I like the security of runflats, but comfort is compromised. I always carry a spare since my towing days because the loading at the rear would compress the runflat beyond safe usage.

Out there the temperature will make the tyres sticky, I imagine.

• 1 month later...

Resurrected this because I had to change a wheel for another 'Puncture'. This meant putting unmatched tyres on the front because I won't put repaired tyres on that end.

I have five run flats, four on the car. I have a Uniroyal on n/s front and a Goodyear on o/s front. The Unroyal hardly notices manholes but the Goodyear really does. Looking at tyre reviews, this is to be expected. MOT is soon, so I will review all then. I am expecting a few issues this time as it has gone straight through the previous three MOT's. If it passes, I wil fit two new more compliant tyres.

The only immediate cure is to put two Goodyears on the front as the spare is a Goodyear.  I am reluctant because this was the last one to deflate. It was not a puncture, but a sudden leak between tyre and rim. It would not hold pressure for even half a minute. I watched the repait guy through the whole procss and he found a lump between tyre and rim, maybe corrosion. He removed the tyre, cleaned the rim and tyre and re-fitted it. It is holding up after a week now.

It ran for half a mile flat, so I am reluctant to fit it on the front. Would rather test it on the rear for a while before doing so. Will have to ask a friend to change it as I injured the back again. Lifting it back on is the problem because you have to lift, align and get a bolt in. May just fit one stud to make this easier. Too damn cold now anyway.

On 05/10/2023 at 20:18, PeteH said:

I recently Bought a "one man" vaccuum bleeding kit. so far so good. 2 cars and  the motorhome, full brake fluid change, and nice firm brakes. 👍 and no spills.

Pete

Which one? I have half a dozen, all gathering dust. Still never found one that I was happy with.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Colin Lindsay said:

Which one? I have half a dozen, all gathering dust. Still never found one that I was happy with.

Could be Sealy, But the garage is dark and too ******* cold to go looking. But it work`s OK?. And with no access to "Assistants" now I have to become a proper "one man band". Time was I could press gang/bribe a grandchild. But now the nearest is 200+miles away. The oldest is in Australia!.

Pete

On 24/11/2023 at 17:58, PeteH said:

Could be Sealy, But the garage is dark and too ******* cold to go looking. But it work`s OK?. And with no access to "Assistants" now I have to become a proper "one man band". Time was I could press gang/bribe a grandchild. But now the nearest is 200+miles away. The oldest is in Australia!.

Pete

Same as me; miles from any other Triumph owner and with a family that will walk miles in the dark for a flaming horse but won't walk fifty feet to my garage. Over the years I've bought so many one-man brake bleeders and most are on the shelf gathering dust bar the Gunson's Eezi-Bleed which went off after going off, all over the bulkhead. If i use a suitably long pipe I can bleed using my feet then tighten up before the bubbles go back in again... needs to be long so I can see the jar on the floor.

9 minutes ago, Colin Lindsay said:

If i use a suitably long pipe I can bleed using my feet then tighten up before the bubbles go back in again... needs to be long so I can see the jar on the floor.

Yup, that's my method to, no assistance required. A jam jar, a long pipe and a spanner.

Doug

Edited by dougbgt6