Ebay steering wheel leather kits

I want to recover my original spitfire 1500 steering wheel.  I have seen some kits on ebay that look a good way to go , providing they fit. They are a leather kit and require stitching to the wheel. Has anyone tried one?

If they need alterations to fit then it might be better to start from scratch. Thanks 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Colin Lindsay said:

If those are the wrap-around / leather strip type of cover I used one on the Vitesse wheel, then very easy to fit, really improved the grip and with a little bit of care re spacing the cord it looks quite well. 

Colin Lindsay,  no it's a complete one piece cover , that then has to be stiched around the rim. As per original 

• 2 weeks later...
On 15/11/2023 at 20:30, p7rider said:

I want to recover my original spitfire 1500 steering wheel.  I have seen some kits on ebay that look a good way to go , providing they fit. They are a leather kit and require stitching to the wheel. Has anyone tried one?

If they need alterations to fit then it might be better to start from scratch. Thanks 

will be interested to know how you find them , I was also looking at these after already being happy with my spray job on the 3 arms of the steering wheel. I now just wonder if I can add some thickness and tidy the rim. Some of the photos on their advert look like classic rims even a Triumph wheel I believe.

No not yet. I gave my wheel to an upholsterers to look at over the winter. I mentioned the kit to them . It might cheaper to buy the kit about £32 and gave them stitch it on. However the picture example on ebay the leather doesn't extend up the wheel arms like the original. 

18 hours ago, p7rider said:

No not yet. I gave my wheel to an upholsterers to look at over the winter. I mentioned the kit to them . It might cheaper to buy the kit about £32 and gave them stitch it on. However the picture example on ebay the leather doesn't extend up the wheel arms like the original. 

OK, thanks. I'd also noticed how the leather doesn't cover the 1cm or so of covering (vinyl I think) on the arms. A bit OCD on things like that so it might just drive me mad (excuse the pun).

• 1 month later...
On 29/11/2023 at 16:30, p7rider said:

Hi guys, I took the plunge and ordered a kit. Fitted it over Christmas and happy with the process and outcome. OK it is not 100% perfect wrt the original arms just showing at the edges but 99% and the look and feel is really nice. The slight increase in grip diameter also makes a big difference to myself. The grip compared to the original surface is much more reassuring. It took me nearly two hours and taking up any slack in the stitches is important every few stitches. Otherwise the only tricky bit to enable a nice tidy outcome is the ending of each section. Loads of thread provided enabling repeat of any section in the future if required.

The details of my purchase: The price was actually less with a discount applied. £20.39

LEATHER STEERING WHEEL COVER FOR TRIUMPH GT6 BLACK SEAM

£23.99Unit price £23.99

Item number: 185886714327

8cm or 3.1in37cm or 14.5in

image0(4).jpeg

image1(6).jpeg

image2(5).jpeg

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

When I recovered my Vitesse steering wheel used some offcuts from a local upholsterer. Drew a line around the inner circumstance of the wheel to keep stitch line straight and clear adhesive to stop the cover moving on the wheel.

Regards

Paul