Radius Arm Dimensions GT6 Early Mk3

Suspecting that there is something not quite right with my nearside rear suspension, I wanted to check the length of the adjustable radius arm. Haynes suggests that it is 16.71" and the Vitesse is 14.71" while the Triumph Workshop Manual shows it the other way round albeit that the diagram and its key are incorrect. What should it be? Here are two photos of the relevant diagrams from each book.

Radius arm Haynes.jpg

Radius arm Triumph.jpg

I have the hard copy of that manual Johny and agree that the keys to the two drawings seem to have been swapped over. If that is the case, then the Haynes manual would agree with the WSM. I was hoping someone would know the definitive dimensions. When the weather is better tomorrow, I will whip the offside wheel off and measure that radius arm for a comparison.

I have a pair in my shed I intended to use on my Herald CV conversion, just measured one at 17.5 inches, but that maybe wound out more than normal. I bought them from e bay so no idea of origin.

When I converted my Vitesse MK 1 to CV I remember having to mount them in a different position on the rear outrigger.

The ones in my shed have the angled ends as per that drawing. Bugger.

S

IMG_20211021_150556085.thumb.jpg.6418ee6c17e1e23c52dfd5f958d5c1b5.jpgIMG_20211021_153036409.thumb.jpg.2b32b7f2b1da601151036abb2ad81ce6.jpg

9 minutes ago, Gary Flinn said:

This query's been discussed before on here, does this help?

Just read through that thread and it doesn't really help. I need to see if my radius arm eyes are offset as per the diagram or straight. I will find out tomorrow when I take off the offside. These two images which I took when I fitted the CV shafts look as though the radius arm has no offset. In which case, how long should it be?

Edited by Stratton Jimmer
Additional information added.

I have a Mk2 Vitesse- which I believe is very original and fairly un molested.

I am in the process of overhauling the rear suspension so have just confirmed that my radius arms are offset.

The measurement between the two bushes is close to 16.71.

Does this help?

IMG_5754.jpeg

17 hours ago, Stratton Jimmer said:

Suspecting that there is something not quite right with my nearside rear suspension, I wanted to check the length of the adjustable radius arm. Haynes suggests that it is 16.71" and the Vitesse is 14.71" while the Triumph Workshop Manual shows it the other way round albeit that the diagram and its key are incorrect. What should it be? Here are two photos of the relevant diagrams from each book.

Radius arm Haynes.jpg

Radius arm Triumph.jpg

Geometry tells us that a diagonal must be longer than the adjacent side, so the GT6 ones with the angled bush housings should be the longer, as shown in the WSM.

Anyway, the WSM HAS to be Holy Writ, while Haynes only copies it, sometimes wrongly.

JOhn

Im beginning to think the WSM also got it wrong not just on the crossed over dimensions but also which type of tie bar is used on Vitesse and GT6!

I think the GT6 has the tie bar front mounts more inboard than the Vitesse and as the mk2 with roto flex suspension came out before the Vitesse with the same design presumably it was set up for that with STRAIGHT tie bars. Then the Vitesse with its more outboard mounts needed an ANGLED tie bars to allow the same axle to be used...

• Like 1

The WSM keys to the two drawings are definitely swapped over as there is only one dimension on the straight rod and two for the offset rod. Haynes seems to have it right. The Vitesse has a longer wheelbase than the GT6 so I expect there to be differences in the radius rod length. I'm about to get the overalls on and go take a look at the six. I will let you know what I find. 

Well, things are not at all like either book. The radius arms are of the adjustable type but are straight with no offset at all. The eye holes are at 90 degrees to the rod. The length of the offside one was approximately 14.7" measured with a steel tape. The nearside one was 15". The brackets to which they fit are offset to cater for the angle between the hub and the chassis. Pictures to follow...

but its made adjustable soyou can get the correct rear toe in  

having a preset length is just a rough staring point 

having a preset dimension is a hang over from production who never in any manufacturer like to have to adjust anything

so preset lengths were often devised to save any on line adjustments during production 

i remember on assy they set the steering box and drag links on 8x4 before they dropped the engine and cab on  ...caused hopeless straight ahead headaches

and needed to induce a corrective error to correct it when cabs was dropped on.

set the headlamps wthout locking the cab down  good for low flying aircraft 

the manufacturers were full of these daft tricks 

gear remotes are another needs to be set to suit but they always wanted pre set then fight the pudding and stick as nowt lined up 

Grrrrr

Pete

No shims on mine,  when I converted my Vitesse to Roto/CV the slight adjustment of toe required was done by the tie bar adjuster ,it is minimal so I cant see it stressing the bushes. I had to drill the outrigger as the tie bar bracket is further inboard than the MK 1.

Steve

On 30/11/2023 at 11:37, Pete Lewis said:

as on rotaflex the toe is adjusted by shims under the inboard pivot brackets ???

On my Rotoflex GT6 there's plenty of adjustment in the tie bar adjuster to make quite a considerable difference to the toe. The way the geometry works, the adjuster is pretty effective. One side of mine was way out when I first had it, but straightforward to adjust.

Gully

• Like 1