Lead blob thingy on the engine block

Roger

I enjoy the archeological excavation of my very rusty 2000 Mk II engine now that i FINALLY have been able to remove the cylinder head. I hope that I can use the block, crank and cylinder head but I have to clean it up before I can evaluate the condition of the parts properly. The oil was still in the sump when I took it apart, and it was black, thick and full of dirt. I would like to remove EVERYTHING from the block and have it dipped in acid. The oil "channels" (whats the correct term?) are completely clogged and I would like to remove the lead blob thingy on the block and all the plugs to clean things up. I know I have seen an article in Practical Classics when they renovated a sixpot Triumph engine, and they removed this lead (?) blob and replaced it with a new one. Does anyone here know where I can buy this part (whatever it is called...). To me it seems better to make threads in the hole and add something else there, has anyone done that? I cant find this part, but then again I don't know the proper name so I dont know what to search for.

DSC01378.JPG

DSC01382.JPG

Edited by Roger

Talk to Rimmers.    OR Mark Field, I think he has some, also for either end of the main oil gallery. 

That deserves being opened and then drilled out, but you need to press out the oil pump drive Bush to do that, and buy a really long drill, with parabolic flutes.   I don't know how Triumph produced that, it's full of little projections as if it was CAST rather than drilled!

Block dip - good idea! But once comes out of the final wash it will be so clean that it could flash rust.  Get it home ASAP and give it the WD40 treatment

John

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Roger said:

I have to find that issue of Practical Classic where they removed that thing

Frustrating! I found one issue of Practical Classics (November 2013) that covered the rebuild of a TR6 engine. I'm quite sure that they removed that lead blob in one of the issues in 2013 (it was a serie) but I can only find November 2013. I even spent 99p trying to get access to the archive of PDF versions, but no joy. So, those of you who collect magazines and have all issues 2013 can see what is behind that lead blob... Well well, I'm sure I can clean it properly anyway, I'm just curious! (and stubborn).

PCnov2013.png

That is an aluminum plug that was indeed peened at the factory to seal it.  If you remove it, you will see that the hole is threaded 3/4"-16.  It's not a pipe thread though, so you can't just use a pipe plug.

You can buy new aluminum plugs, but you will probably have to peen them to get a good seal.

I Locktited a 3/4-16 adaptor with a hole for a pipe plug.

Ed

SDC12940a.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

seems its part of the oil gallery  so next clue is what was its purpose

at 3/4x16  its meaningful  and not a  drilling to core the gallery but its so close to the filter zone 

but obviously  just not needed

was this from an very early form of a bypass oil filter before the side mounted full flow was developed ???

On 18/12/2023 at 06:27, ed.h said:

If you remove it, you will see that the hole is threaded 3/4"-16.

Brilliant! That was exactly the information I was looking for. I have said it before and I say it again: The knowledge and support on this forum is excellent. Thank you Ed!