ACCUSPARK PROBLEM

foshi

fitted a accuuspark kit a while back ,the pick up trigger was not a tight fit  advised to put a bit of insulation tape around the distributor cam took for a drive today noticed a slight pull back on hard acceleration apart from that drove fine got home hour latter would not start had a spark fuel just turned over , took the cap off removed the trigger refitted it the car started badly popping back fire would not rev , took the trigger out refitted now running fine trouble is now i have no faith in it idead please should i just purchase a new kit ? fitted a few first one to give me a problem although the others the trigger was a very tight fit paul

i would not expect a loose fitting trigger to mess up the running more like the module is playing up 

whilst i mainly see cars with a problem  im afraid i see accuS as often the culprit with erratic running .

im sure there are many running fine  

a bit of tape to make a better fit is not an unusual fix even for the rotor arm 

Pete

18 minutes ago, Pete Lewis said:

i would not expect a loose fitting trigger to mess up the running more like the module is playing up 

whilst i mainly see cars with a problem  im afraid i see accuS as often the culprit with erratic running .

im sure there are many running fine  

a bit of tape to make a better fit is not an unusual fix even for the rotor arm 

Pete

seems to drop low if i pull it up tight to the rotor all good was thinking maybe supper glue it to the rotor arm , i keep a set of complete  points kit the boot for back up , accuspark has covered no more than around 20 miles since fitted  too late to return now had over a year paul

Yes I wonder if you have the right model for your distributor?

Ive bought another separate new sensor off ebay (someone was selling just those and I got it for 11quid) so I can quickly swop it over without touching the timing in case of any doubt about the original working correctly...

so update used tape as per aaccuspark  recommended to take up the trigger slack , so test drive slight pull back on acceleration first mile 3 miles latter getting  worse  head back for home just made it engine now will not rev popping back fire , remove the trigger refit starts up running fine thinking best place for it is the bin , first time to be honest ihave had problems with accuspark units may just go back the points rout .

58 minutes ago, AidanT said:

Tried accuspark some years ago as cheap. A bad experience, purchased a better quality system and no problem since then

Trouble is I dont know how one can decide quality of these systems as the important electronics bit is all inside so impossible to see🤔 You can select on price and that might be an indicator of quality.... 

3 minutes ago, foshi said:

so update used tape as per aaccuspark  recommended to take up the trigger slack , so test drive slight pull back on acceleration first mile 3 miles latter getting  worse  head back for home just made it engine now will not rev popping back fire , remove the trigger refit starts up running fine thinking best place for it is the bin , first time to be honest ihave had problems with accuspark units may just go back the points rout .

It seems very strange that removing - refitting the trigger makes a difference and I wonder if thats allowing the head to cool down? Mounted on plenty of heat transfer paste is it?

loads of paste as said fitted around 8 units on different cars , could it be the distributor worn fair bit of play in it , have been playing around with it the tolerance is very slight on the trigger slightly down a bit will not start tight against the rotor arm runs but badly. may swop the dist have a spare

• Like 1

back to points had a set of old stock , went for a 5 mile drive different car pulls well lot livelier all round , so definitely a problem with the accuspark .

• Like 1

sometimes the simplest is the best 

a small bulb on the trigger line will wink just the same as with points 

might be worth checking you get 4 pulses per rev.of the rotor 

I am currently playing with one only doing 3 out of the 6 

so thats gone back to points for now. 

sorry but i find they look the part but just seem unreliable 

and i find aldon and lumenition just battle on for ever 

pete

• 3 weeks later...
On 01/02/2024 at 15:53, foshi said:

back to points had a set of old stock , went for a 5 mile drive different car pulls well lot livelier all round , so definitely a problem with the accuspark .

That is exactly my experience, I won't bother with electronic ignition again. The sort of mileage most of our cars cover now,  points will last a few years anyway.

Edited by sulzerman

I've had accuspark fitted to my 13/60 since 2015, no problems.

It seems to something that people either love or hate. The important thing is that the car starts when you turn the key and runs correctly(ish)

there is a problem in that most of whats sold is just an elctronic switch rather then the 

mechanical switch of the std.points     most are just not "electronic" just saves the errors of points setting and reduces maintenance , it can revive a worn dizzy cam spindle errors.

they are and i used them clouded in some magical myth ....there isnt one 

agree love em or hate em rules apply , so  can be a sort of must have !!

divide cost by miles covered and points win on saving you £££s

pete 

1 hour ago, Pete Lewis said:

so  can be a sort of must have !!

divide cost by miles covered and points win on saving you £££s

There are also lots of posts about the unreliability of condensers.

What even system you use carry a spare, that way it won't fail but something else will 🙄

If you run points, why carry a spare condensor?

Condensors may fail in two ways:

1/ they conduct electricity, shorting the points, so no spark, there or at the plugs

2/ they fail to 'condense', to act as a capacitor.  Sparks continue, but at the points the spark will be fiercer, wearing them out quicker.

In either situation, the correct solution is to remove the condensor!   Ignition will continue, you can drive home or go on your journey.    All that happens is that the spark at the points will "arc", be stronger and  more erosive to the points, which will wear out faster.    You may install a new condensor and points at leisure in the comfort of your own garage, instead of at the roadside in rain and wind! 

The inventor of points ignition, Charles Kettering in 1912, found within months of having his new invention installed in Cadillacs that a condensor was needed to prolong point life from 1000 to at least 6000 miles.   Somehow, that the system works perfectly well without a condensor seems to have escaped anyone, even a century later!

John

• Like 1

I have Accuspark in both the Spit and Vitesse and have had for over 15 years and very happy. At the time their costs were very reasonable under 30 quid delivered to Aus. BUT I do carry a spare unit in each car as they have different mountings to suit the Lucas and Delco Units.