Goodrich Braided Hoses

Peaks

Please, I'm not after personal opinions or guesses - I can do that for myself - but does anyone know what the life of a Goodrich braided brake hose is?

Despite Googling, I cannot find a definitive answer, except that they have a lifetime guarantee. Pretty sure they are not designed to last forever though!

Thanks

Pretty sure you'll need a receipt. And who do you sort it out with, the dealer or the manufacturer?

I had a "guaranteed for life" stainless exhaust, the welds and baffles started to fail. I think I bought it from Rimmers, but it was 40 years ago.

Doug

Agree with both of you regarding the guarantee. My Bells sports exhaust system has split along the main straight pipe, but I don't feel I can return it as I fitted it in 1993 🤣 I still have the reciept from the club as well!

I was more after a stated life/change routine for the hoses. I'm a chartered engineer,  and I like design lives, mean time between failures, and all that anorak stuff 😁

Edited by Peaks

Some don't like braided hoses. Non-braided you can see when the rubber starts to bulge and that's when you change them! :lol:

I used to be Ceng, but in retrospect I really wish I'd done English Lit.

Doug

Edited by dougbgt6

10 minutes ago, dougbgt6 said:

Non-braided you can see when the rubber starts to bulge and that's when you change them! :lol:

Doug

Ahh, change on condition eh Doug? You'd have been wasted as an English teacher 🤣

• Haha 1

I did look recently at doing English Lit at the OU, it costs about £7k a year for 3 years. Turns out I can get a Student Loan and being a pensioner I have an apparently low income.  Which means I would be paying back only £200 odd a year. After 40 years the loan is written off when I'd be 116. 

Doug

1 hour ago, Peaks said:

I was more after a stated life/change routine for the hoses. I'm a chartered engineer,  and I like design lives, mean time between failures, and all that anorak stuff 😁

Theres so many variables, mileage, road surface, temperatures, driving style etc. I think if youre worried and you havent already got one youd better fit a dual circuit brake system....

I fitted a set years ago. They were probably in use for at least 15yrs. I replaced them during lockdown as, although they still 'performed' ,you can't see the rubber hose condition under the stainless braiding. The decision  was more about the visual state of the ferrules/unions which were looking rather corroded where the cadmium plating had deteriorated. When I cut one open it appeared to be a nylon ( PTFE?) narrow bore inner tube, then a thin rubber tube, clad in baiding.

I fitted a set of the older style Goodridge SS braided hoses to the Spit 20 plus years ago, by older I mean the steel connection ends are crimped direct to the SS braiding

I was subsequently advised by my brake repairer guru they wer illegal here in Aus (Aus Design Rules, ie ADR) the theory being that SS work hardens and will fail/fray at the swaged/ crimp outer face joint.

The Aussie SS braiding is insulated at this interface with a plastic/nylon sleeve also crimped into the joint the plastic sleeve is quite long day 30mm meaning the pipe has to longer than std to facilitate any flexing of the pipe one I had made for the Sprint balance adjuster to rear axle reall y looked contorted as it was S shaped and I had the SS flexible pipe made the original length, not really happy but it passed its RWC that way!

I subsequently replaced the Spits Goodridge SS hoses but with a locally made set, Heli where the SS braiding is sleeved on the outside with thin poly plastic I chose a carbon fibre effect cover but could of had anything from clear to yellow it appears these plastic sleeved SSFlexi pipes are cosher legal.

I believe the UK Goodridge SS braided hoses have been modified to include this outer plastic covering.

Aus ADR also doesn’t allow fixed copper brake pipes for the same reason ie work hardening they have to be steel don’t know about SS fixed pipes? I had to remove the copper Aotomec set I brought and use bundy piping my brake Guru made me a set free as he kept the Automec set saying they could be used on boat trailers and caravans GO figure that one out!

Edited by Peter Truman

1 hour ago, Colin Lindsay said:

The trouble with braided is that any problems will be inside, unseen. Fine when they're new but if any kind of age, I'd replace. Like Danny, I went back to rubber, and replace regularly. 

22 hours ago, dougbgt6 said:

Non-braided you can see when the rubber starts to bulge and that's when you change them! 

I can see why you've so many posts Colin! :lol: