Twin Sports Exhaust on a 71 Mk3 GT6

Taggart65

Evening all i'm considering fitting a Bell twin exhaust instead of the Bell standard style replacement i have already . I like the symmetry of the 2 pipes 

My question is will any holes need to be drilled to mount the silencers or are there already mounting points that can be used ? 

Done plenty of searching for photos from underneath and came up blank 

Yes, you will need to drill holes in the boot floor or inner rear valance to take brackets for the hanging straps on the rear of each silencer.

Be aware, once settled in, these twin box 'wheelbarrow' systems are very loud, so much so that some find them hard to live with for any lengthy journey. For a sportier exhaust sound without a noise induced headache, I prefer the Bells semi sport rear silencer, with a small front silencer between the chassis rails under the prop shaft.

Nigel

I've already got a fairly long front silencer fitted between the chassis rails on the system that's on the car now , I was going to try and leave that in place 

Been researching online and some people are saying the semi-sports is louder than the sports 

16 minutes ago, Taggart65 said:

I've already got a fairly long front silencer fitted between the chassis rails on the system that's on the car now , I was going to try and leave that in place 

Been researching online and some people are saying the semi-sports is louder than the sports 

I would agree it's a good idea to keep the front silencer. Personally, I've never heard it said that the semi sports silencer is louder than the wheelbarrow setup.

Nigel

On 29/03/2024 at 21:36, Taggart65 said:

some people are saying the semi-sports is louder than the sports 

Taggart

You just might be opening a can of worms here, but for what it's worth here's my 2d's worth:-

Since 1977, I have had a pattern OEM Mk2 box, a Mk3 box and three twin silencer systems on my Mk2 (the first two twins were TT offerings in mild steel and eventually rotted out) and I am currently using twin stainless silencers and link pipe of unknown origin, with a mild steel centre silencer. The silencer system was second hand and was 'thrown on' after a rebuild in 2010/11 and somewhat surprisingly is still going strong. The silencers mount onto to the inside face of the rear valence. The tail pipes are 2" diameter and have a perforated acoustic liner. 

I think the centre silencer is quite important and on mine, the sound is really quite nice and doesn't drone.

Back in the late 70s, a friend had a semi-sports silencer on a Mk3 and it was quite loud. 

I would suggest that you try and experience the twin Bell system in conjunction with a centre box before you commit. 

Ian

worms_9526.jpg

DSC_8331.JPG

DSC_8333.JPG

Edited by Ian Foster
update

Thanks for taking the time to reply Ian 

What is the ground clearance on those ? I'm currently at 3.25" on mine as the centre silencer isn't tucked up between the chassis rails like it should be ans I can't see any way of getting there 

22 hours ago, Taggart65 said:

Hi Taggart

ive just removed a wheelbarrow straight thru on mine for a phoenix semi sport box with mid silencer. I’d say it’s gone from drone boomy (altho nice over 4k) to a more higher pitch less droney sound with a better top end drive. I prefer it but it’s personal of course. The wheelbarrow had two bolts drilled thru the valance horizontally on the inner face under car, with 2 rubber bits that the exhausts hung of. Hope that helps.

*to add, it’s quieter now over all than the wheelbarrow setup I had, but that setup didn’t have the mid silencer. 

Edited by gt6j

22 hours ago, Nigel Clark said:

Be aware, once settled in, these twin box 'wheelbarrow' systems are very loud, so much so that some find them hard to live with for any lengthy journey. For a sportier exhaust sound without a noise induced headache

Taggart65, I can confirm this. I fitted the Triumphtune system back in 1988. "It has a sporty note but not too loud" said the catalogue. Not too loud my arse! On long journeys I had to use earplugs. I was soooo relieved when I found someone who wanted to swap his standard GT6 system for my wheelbarrow. My Spit turned into a refined tenor where previously it had been punk rock. (Do I need to say how much I hate punk?)

My advice is, get along to your local group and see what people have got and ask LISTEN to them. Better still take you for a spin.

My rant about too loud exhausts and the rubbish companies spout just to sell their crap is over.

Oh, except to say that my guess is you probably won't make as much power increase as they say you will.

Cheers, Richard

PS: If you DO get a loud exhaust, I hope you remain on good terms with your neighbours!

PPS: Rant REALLY over.

13 hours ago, rlubikey said:

My advice is, get along to your local group and see what people have got and ask LISTEN to them. Better still take you for a spin.

I was about to say that!

Although best to ensure the local group will actually be bringing their cars. :lol:

9 day to next meeting, plenty of time to change the wheel bearing, sort the choke, repair gearchange linkage, bolt down the passenger seat and sort the tunnel carpet.

Better get started.

Doug

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Stratton Jimmer said:

Call me old fashioned but I prefer the original style of exhaust. My sixfire has the twins and if and when they need changing, I will be going back to the original Mk3 GT6 style. 

Me too. I think more than a few owners have fitted twin exhausts then realised it's not what they actually wanted. It all depends on your intended use but you may find that it's not only the neighbours and pedestrians who suffer but the driver and passengers too, and the drive becomes less than pleasant.

• Like 2

I think stainless inherently makes exhausts noisier as the metal can be thinner. Then to keep the cost down after market units are made with the absolute minimum of internals (and possibly thought)....