New Vitesse owner required.

Straightsix

Unfortunately due to lost enthusiasm, I am considering selling my Vitesse mk2 saloon , has 5 speed, CV driveshafts. Needs tidying, will list in classifieds in near future.

Edited by Straightsix
Edited wording
  • Like 1

At the moment I have only placed an advert here  in the classified section, but will certainly mention the Tssc to any potential owner if advertised elsewhere. 

No I’m not looking for another classic car, think that’s run its course.
I might return to motorbikes if anything.

Dare I say I’m quite passionate about my 2005 e46 300d Touring…….I’ll get my coat.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Straightsix said:

Dare I say I’m quite passionate about my 2005 e46 300d Touring…….I’ll get my coat.

Pull up a chair instead. Each to his own... but I've found this to be a more and more recurring view amongst drivers: why buy something old rattly and uncomfortable when you can buy and drive a more modern car which is more relaxing and enjoyable, especially over long journeys? Drive whichever gives you pleasure. I enjoy working on all mine, ranging from 1960 to 2015, but which one I drive on any particular day depends on my mood. And the weather. 

34 minutes ago, Straightsix said:

Great car! I'm enjoying my 2000 E46 330Ci coupe. BMW make the kind of cars Triumph would be making today, had the company survived.

Nigel

51 minutes ago, Nigel Clark said:

BMW make the kind of cars Triumph would be making today, had the company survived.

Agree, Triumph was leading the way  Sprint etc. Great shame. I like BMW's  generally and would be tempted to get e46 300d touring, but out of the question now, due to ULEZ expansion.

I've had many BMW's and think the best of the bunch was the E90 coupe and much better than my current bloated 4 series coupe.

I was getting a tad frustrated with my Vitesse but since the diff issues have been solved it's renewed our love hate relationship.

Iain 

My current Z3 is my first BMW, and dating from 1998 doesn't suffer from the same problems that more modern versions do eg loads of electronics and sensors. Sadly there's not the same network of parts suppliers that Triumphs have, so spare parts usually involve going straight to BMW and paying over the odds even for small parts such as nuts and bolts - even provided you can identify the spare part required as firstly there are dozens of variations of any model (front springs differ depending on engine configuration and car spec, for example) and secondly there are no exploded diagrams as on some of our more helpful Triumph suppliers' sites, nor any 'home maintenance' manuals, even the Haynes manual applies to many models and not just the Z3. We really are spoiled with our cars for both good suppliers and good home-maintenance manuals by the dozen.

The BMW on-line forums are the same as any marque; sneer at the 1.8, slightly less at the 1.9 (who on EARTH wants a four pot??? WHY???) and you're no-one unless you have a replacement body-part of a 6-pot with suitable enhancements. I've already been told that my 1.9 at 1897cc is actually a 1.8 and has the wrong exhaust, but thankfully this has been corrected by those who really know. 

The most exciting BMW that I ever had was the four pot 2002 tii. Same performance as a Dolly Sprint but more reliable. Just as with Triumph, the four pot versions usually handled better. The M3's were four pot originally. However, if you want a smooth cruise car, go for a six pot.

Bet you wish you still had the 2002 tii, I miss my e21 323i fitted with a 2.8 lump.

Ive also had an e30. 3x e46 330’s

Was  considering a Z3/4 the other week, think I’m on the wrong forum 😂

Apologies for going off topic!

Loved my late model (South African import) E36 318iS saloon (yes, it was a 1.9!). I found a lovely E36 325 estate on Car and Classic last year which I was sorely tempted by.

Gully

I had one of the first E30 325i and complained of an engine vibration at 2500rpm and only noticeable because everything else was so smooth. Eventually after the year warranty was up and the BMW dealer fed up with me complaining they admitted BMW had a recall due to a faulty oil pump. However as it was now out of warranty and they had no 'official' record of my complaints I had to pay £900 before they would let me have my car back. Then the fight with BMW UK started! I bought and Audi next.. However once fixed the 325 was a lovely car. I have to admit Triumph could only dream of making a car that good.

Iain

2 hours ago, Colin Lindsay said:

My current Z3 is my first BMW, and dating from 1998 doesn't suffer from the same problems that more modern versions do eg loads of electronics and sensors. Sadly there's not the same network of parts suppliers that Triumphs have, so spare parts usually involve going straight to BMW and paying over the odds even for small parts such as nuts and bolts - even provided you can identify the spare part required as firstly there are dozens of variations of any model (front springs differ depending on engine configuration and car spec, for example) and secondly there are no exploded diagrams as on some of our more helpful Triumph suppliers' sites, nor any 'home maintenance' manuals, even the Haynes manual applies to many models and not just the Z3. We really are spoiled with our cars for both good suppliers and good home-maintenance manuals by the dozen.

I've had a range of E36 and E46 cars, and a Z3 1.9. All good cars and I found most spares were available as decent quality pattern parts, with no need to pay extortionate genuine BMW prices. I always look out for Meyle or Febi branded spares for brakes and suspension, Bosch for electrics and filters, Gates for drive belts.

Nigel

Straight sixes will vanish in a few years I fear. The Triumph engine survived in the Rover SD1's that had an overhead cam. Shame that the british straight sixes came to an end. very few marks now make any except BMW and Mercedes.