Spitfire 1500 on "Shed and Buried"

DVD3500

16 hours ago, Ian Faulds said:

I watched that on TV. I wouldve had a go at repairing the origonal bonnet, didn't look too bad to me. Hope they didn't throw it out!

They heated and bent the bonnet tube to get the gaps correct? Bit of a bodge there... especially given the fit of the doors to the sills.

They claimed it was because it was a federal hood/bonnet but I am not aware of any differences in the hinges etc. ... More likely the welding was not not as straight as it could be and/or something else was twisted...

Fuzz also said that there were only about 20 MK1s left, obviously looked on howmanyleft.com for spitfire MK1 of course very few were ever registered as MK1 as that was never used until the MK2 appeared. there are many more than 20 left

remember its a tv program made not to be questioned ,

worrying that some simple facts are easily obtained from any club or supplier but they dont do any 

homework  . same as any film with steam loco's involved where they intermix all the lner.lms gwr southern all on on trip 

on the footage detectives they questioned why so many old prewar cars had only one headlamp

working      i remember that was common on dip of the day . 

guess we should be pleased its not Russian TV   

well the suns out for a change 

Pete

One bit I found very confusing was they had a chassis with a bent D/S hinge box and front chassis rail so to "save money" bought an entire Spitfire chassis for £250.  A Spitfire chassis with a rusty D/S front chassis rail.  To replace the damaged D/S chassis rail/hinge box, parts you can buy for less than £250...  Ech?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Pete Lewis said:

remember its a tv program made not to be questioned ,

Classic Car Garage yesterday (admittedly on UKTV Play streaming) had a white 1980s Jaguar, the owner complained that the oil gauge was showing empty, even when just filled... so they dipped the car, oil was halfway, then checked the gauge which was now showing 'a yellow line just below half-full, which is accurate'. Trouble is they showed the oil pressure gauge, and I could not for the life of me spot any oil-level gauge in the instrument cluster. Owner went away happy, I was just bemused.

Screenshot2024-04-17at12_07_46.png.52649c9c3fb69d2fca7aa619f2ae233e.png

This morning they had a Standard Super 10 with a duff headlight, only three wires, but the 'mechanic' had to call for help as the car was 'before his time'. I'd have thought that was one of the easier repairs, just a broken connector behind the headlamp. I like the series, but if they're going to try to pull the wool they need to look again at their audience, who will no doubt vary from the enthusiastic amateur to the expert. 

My father had a 1960s Rover 3 litre, straight 6, overhead inlet, side exhaust.  There was a switch that when depressed with the engine off, displayed the oil level on the fuel gauge.  A long time ago so I hope I remembered correctly.

I have not seen the episode, but from your description, it sounds as if the owner did not know how an oil pressure gauge worked. Zero when stopped, yellow needle half way at idle when cold would be normal for a pressure gauge.  Where do they find these people?

On 15/04/2024 at 14:42, Colin Lindsay said:

Sadly I can't get that on my Firestick, too tight to subscribe to Discovery +. I do like the show, though, Henry suits my mentality.

It is free to view, seems to be the only show on Discovery plus that is.