Some idiot on the road...

Colin Lindsay

I'm sitting here typing and some idiot is racing up and down the road in a car with an incredibly loud exhaust. Up and down, up and down, destroying the peace and quiet. What an ar&e.

Just looked up as he passed by and it's a gold-coloured TR7 with the top down, possibly a V8 version. 

What a lovely car and a great exhaust note. :)

• Haha 9

Ha!
The really   horrible  noisy exhausts are only found on Pratmobiles or Super Pratmobiles 

We should perhaps regard that noise  as a public safety feature - an early warning system to alert us that an immature sociopath,  in charge of a potentially lethal piece machinery,  is somewhere within a several hundred yard radius although we have yet to see them.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dougbgt6 said:

John,

I fear you in turn have completely missed UK's ironic tone! :lol:

But you are correct, Colin doesn't play trumpet, he's into stringed instruments.

Doug

Does Clarinet count? Though I fear blowing my own clarinet may have an unintended second meaning, but the TR was spotted by others with an elderly lady in the front passenger seat.... someone trying to cash in their inheritance early? "Let's go out in the TR and scare Granny to death".

I agree with Unkel, it's a warning sign that we have a certain form of driver approaching, the audible version of the furry dice and blacked-out windows. "Much cry and little wool" was the old saying, you hear a car from miles away shaking the windows then along comes a 1 litre Vauxhall Corsa at 20 mph with a three-foot-tall driver trying to see over the dashboard as he's reclined the seat so far backwards... :)

Youngster, lives close by, has just obtained a Subaru, the one`s with the exhaust the size of the Mersey tunnel!  it is to say the least "loud". Talking to his father, the car is a Grey Import and completely unmolested O/E. Japanese noise regs must be more lax than ours?. There used to be a TR (4?) around with an horrendousely loud system, haven`t heard it for a while though?.

Pete

We have an entire collection of them up the road, one lad has a large back yard and all the oiks for miles around come to have their cars modified, usually with hammers, and heat to lower the springs. As I'm at one end of a long straight and he's at the other, I get the end result bombing past at about 100mph, and in the opposite direction with the horns blaring as his mates like to let him know they're passing. They seem to have some kind of home-made monstrosity that goes up and down the road late at night, no lights and seemingly no exhaust either, and tears round the local village estates to impress the young girls. Some enterprising souls have put up home-made 30mph signs all along the road but I doubt they'll be respected. Every so often you see a pile of debris or a hole in the hedge where they don't make a bend, or you get the occasional fatal accident which is put down to a 'dangerous road'. It never seems to affect my Heralds.

A young ladat the end of our court who got his licence last year has some BMW variant with turbo and big noisy exhaust he screams down the court all the time one day he’ll hit something 

A good car now looks a mess with big splitters and wings, the latter don’t work until you get over 100kph 

shouldn’tcomplain the short time as a family we lived in the UK early 60’s we had a manor house with along drive mum could only go to sleep when she heard me bombingdown the long drive and sliding to a stop in the gravel for court, 

On 30/04/2024 at 10:05, dougbgt6 said:

John,

I fear you in turn have completely missed UK's ironic tone! :lol:

But you are correct, Colin doesn't play trumpet, he's into stringed instruments.

Doug

Yes, I did.  Irony, irony, they've all got it irony.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, JohnD said:

If there's one thing I hate more than people not getting your jokes, its people who explain them.

"Explaining humor is a lot like dissecting a frog, you learn a lot in the process, but in the end you kill it."  Mark Twain

I have to bite my tongue - or the typing equivalent - on FB everytime someone posts a completely self-explanatory cartoon and then someone explains it below in full detail.

440108651_17975791838695536_829970063242900587_n.jpg.6f0e591a6dae18d985e5bb970e088406.jpg

The chap in the photo is the king of . . . . . . . . . . OPPPS..

24 minutes ago, Colin Lindsay said:

I have to bite my tongue - or the typing equivalent - on FB everytime someone posts a completely self-explanatory cartoon and then someone explains it below in full detail.

I know exactly how you feel

• Haha 1

44 minutes ago, Colin Lindsay said:

There's a word for them - Americans.

(With apologies to all our Cousins, chief among them Samuel Clements, James Thurber and Tom Lehrer, who can and do get a joke. But they have neighbours who need explanation)

I posted a photo of our long-dead cat on a Cat-lovers FB group a while ago - the joke being that he was going to kill me for not letting him in, and the muddy state that he was in was the reason he was not getting inside again until clean - and the Administrator messaged me a short time later asking me to post a photo of him inside and happy, otherwise he had received so many complaints about cat cruelty, mostly from American members, that they were going to shut his page down. I realised they had completely missed the humour of my post and had to go find a photo of a long-dead cat looking happy to keep them satisfied. 

DSCF5223.JPG.65ef9b3a8d1f0272879dd0655b023d5e.JPG

"He" would probably get the "Irony". According to a someome I met doing a survey, who had served with him, (Walney I think) he has a slightly warped sense of humour. Something you need in a Marine Environment, it helps preserve sanity.

Pete.

Edited by PeteH