Magnetic sump plug

Colin

yes perhaps it always was a bit optimistic that an interference thread was going to seal time after time without any assistance! It was probably designed as an install once and leave alone in which case it might have worked...

2 hours ago, Iain T said:

Although I bought the NPTF plug I didn't use it and wrapped my Gold Magnetic sump plug with PTFE tape and it's now bone dry no leaks 😁

Iain

Didn't like the idea of ptfe so on the daughters Mk2 Spit which leaked profusely even after trying several old tapered sump plugs I used Permatex Thread Sealant, High Pressure 56521, you don't use a lot and keep run in thread free and only use a little on 3/4 of a turn, supposedly doesn't set and easy to break free (time will tell!)

Importantly it hasn't leaked, so happy now for the other leaks

Edited by Peter Truman

Same thread on yhe 'box?? 

I certainly don't have any washer. I've had to file the sides of the plug flat several times (told you I was belt & braces!). 

Mick Dolphin reckons the top rear  corner engine seal nut is the same as sump &'box ( what's it there fir, anyway?) . . . but couldn't remove any he had for love nor money to try it!! 

Best, C

11 hours ago, SpitFire6 said:

my sump plug is parallel thread and seals on a copper washer that gets heated cherry red before reusing.

My PO fitted a parallel plug with a copper washer but it never sealed so I bought the Gold NPT and NPTF plugs.

Iain

1 hour ago, Colin said:

Mick Dolphin reckons the top rear  corner engine seal nut is the same as sump &'box ( what's it there fir, anyway?) . . . but couldn't remove any he had for love nor money to try it!! 

Best, C

I believe it goes to the cooling circuit and once had a heater hose connected to it....

23 hours ago, johny said:

I believe it goes to the cooling circuit and once had a heater hose connected to it....

It's a sump plug alright, leads to the cooling system and cars like the mid-series TRs have a hose connected to it. You can buy a screw-in extension for the heater system that screws in here and will enable you to use a Smiths valve on the Delaney Gallay heater system. 

• Thanks 1

Thans Colin. Good info.. Mr. Dolphin said he had tried to remove a couple to see if they were indeed sump-compatible but had failed to remove either. Reckons if not fitted with other acoutrements, they must be sealed with some locking fluid or other! Would make sense, I guess, if they are basically an interference fit?

I was going to purchase a couple for drilling & suitable magnet insertion as an experiment . . . 

Best, C.