Speedometer reading whilst stationary !

Kevin.payne.15

Ok so I'm not mad well not completely. Today we were sitting in stationary traffic and I looked at the speedo and it was reading that we were doing 30 mph. I revved the engine ( I must sort out the low tickover but that's another issue) and the reading went up to 70!

Honest we weren't moving. I can provide evidence from the management if required! I have absolutely no idea how this can be happening

Anyone else experienced this? Solution?

Kevin

As a final check, remove the drive cable from the back of the speedo and check the inner isn't turning when the engine's running. Be careful, just in case it is (though I can't see how!) as if it snags something it could do some damage.

Cheers, Richard

Hi Kevin,

I had problems with my GT6 speedo earlier this year (extremely noisy before the needle flew off).

I looked on the web for a secondhand unit only to find that they we I felt very expensive. When I asked for advice on this forum I was told that I also needed to make sure it had the right calibration number to match my overdrive and rear axial ratio. Pete Lewis was very helpful and gave me the details of a firm that would recondition my existing unit. The firm is Speedy Cables (Email: sales@speedycables.com) Tel:01639 73200. 

I rang them and they gave me a quote inclusive of return delivery and an estimate of 4-5 weeks turnaround. 

They did a great job within the timescale.

It was a bit more expensive than some secondhand ones I saw but looks and functions like new and I feel was well worth the money.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...
On ‎7‎/‎25‎/‎2016 at 6:51 AM, clive said:

I suspect time for a replacement speedo (or have existing repaired, but that is not the cheap option)

I have prettu much the same problem. My speedo stopped reading the full speed and takes ages to get up to speed. The same happens when slowing down and it often stops at around 15mph. A sharp tapon the dial usually resolves this. Can anyone suggest where to get it repaired or should I just get a new one

Strip out the mechanism, do not remove the needle

A dab of light oil pn the needle spindle will solve most sticking needles

Some instruments actually use a dab of silicon grease on the needle spindle to act as a damper this goes hard with age 

Caref clean and a dash of lube will work

The hardest job is is getting the rim and glass to leave the degraded rubber 0 ring  then 2 screws and its in your hands 

Well worth a look before you dig into the wallet

Pete