** 26/02/23 Heading Up ** Probably how not to restore a Herald!

Ignoring foot related puns for a moment, I received a delivery from Chic Doig this afternoon.

n7fEFy.jpg

zFesUV.jpg

UBmB1B.jpg

I only ordered it yesterday afternoon, so well impressed with the speed of that service.

Very fleet of foot you might say!

This is for the passenger side which I was dreading having to finish, but this should make that exercise a lot easier, and I note how much more substantial the body mounting brackets are than the ones I bought separately, and not from Chic Doig.

Karl

Wayne, their panels are certainly very good quality and my car seems determined to give me every opportunity to try as many of them as possible! :o

I bought some new body mounting brackets a few months back from a supplier which rhymes with haddocks, and they are fine, but nowhere near as substantial as the Chic Doig ones attached to the new repair section.

The same goes for their replacement chassis outriggers which I am sure have added a couple of extra Kg to my car.

Karl

The weekend's over so time for an update, as I have actually got some more done on the Herald, not a lot, but some.

Ahead of doing anything on the car I spent some time looking online, to better understand how others have tackled this repair, and found an excellent blog detailing a full resto, but also in detail the bulkhead repairs, see link below:

https://triumphherald.weebly.com/the-bulkhead.html

Not sure if he is a TSSC member, but the blog was very helpful.

I am looking forward to welding in the new mounting panel from Chic Doig, however before I can do that, I needed to remove my previous repairs (Sigh!) and clean up the corner of the bulkhead, which is what I spent a couple of hours doing on Saturday afternoon, leaving me with this.

DENcOD.jpg

Not very exciting, but very necessary to provide me with a sound starting point with the new panel.

The replacement panel is full depth along it's length, but the area where it fits isn't, which means making a cut in the front of the panel where the floorpan sits over the front outrigger.

Here it is unmolested.....

n7fEFy.jpg 

.....and showing it clamped in place uncut, showing the area to be removed.

R2mXim.jpg

This is it after the first cut, which is truly the hardest on a virgin panel.

bHnTil.jpg

The extra metal is useful as the horizontal area at the front of the bulkhead is often rotten where muck gets trapped between the front outrigger and the floorpan, as was the case on my car.

This is the bit I'm talking about.

4r5KWu.jpg

Next up was to cut the panel further so that it formed a neat butt joint against the vertical section of the footwell area, again, measure multiple times before attacking it with a cutting disk and crossed fingers.

j6LDXm.jpg

I'm very glad to say that the fit is spot on with around 1mm of gap around the edge, just right for MIG welding, but before that I need to rebuild the flange at the base of the bulkhead beneath the bonnet latch, which should be easier with bulkhead off the car, unlike the first time I attempted it.

I was never happy with the way I tackled this originally, so I'm actually quite pleased to be able to do it again and get a better finish.

That's another weekend gone, but one where the progress feels tangible.

Karl

• Like 1

With the glorious weather this weekend I ended up spending Saturday working in the garden, performing what I am hoping is the last mow of the year for the lawn, as well as sorting out one of the tyres on Mrs B's modern which had collected a lovely shard of steel. Scratch one tyre, which left Sunday afternoon to continue work on the Herald.

I'd left it last week with the new Chic Doig panel cut out and ready to fit, but not before I had tackled the vertical portion of the front bulkhead where the bonnet latches.

Those with a long memory will remember that I 'repaired' this section before, but I was never happy with the result, and you can see why from the pics below:

Exh7Nm.jpg

The repairs weren't pretty, and I hadn't addressed the dents in the panel before attempting them, so first order of business was to bash out the dents with my cheapy panel beating set, to get me at least a semi original panel shape to work from.

mZWQmN.jpg

Which still left this to be dealt with.

iUhUEv.jpg

Nothing for it, time to break out the angle grinder and slitting disc, leaving me with more fresh air.

PLJmdL.jpg

I cut back quite heavily to ensure that I was going to be welding the repair panel to good metal, so started off with a fairly large piece of 1mm steel for the start of my homemade repair panel.

A panel beater I am not, but after an hour I was left with this, which I was actually quite pleased with.

opNf75.jpg

The oversize panel was then clamped to the bulkhead, and a marker run around the edge to indicate the area to be removed. Having learnt the hard way I always apply masking tape to create a straight edge to cut to, and always work in small increments to avoid removing too much material.

With that carefully done, I clamped the new panel in place along with the Chic Doig panel to gauge the overall fit, which was actually pretty OK.

bc00xY.jpg

Now, I could just weld the homemade repair panel to the Chic Doig panel and move on, but that's not the way the original panels were arranged, as the vertical panel had a lip which was spot welded to the floor pan/foot well panel.

This meant creating a new section which would be welded to my homebrew panel to replicate the lip, and as usual started with a cardboard template.

THwg6o.jpg

This was then transferred to sheet steel and cut out with the angle grinder.

Jn2JbG.jpg

Now at this point I was under the impression that the lip of the vertical panel folded over the lip on the floor pan, but a quick check on the driver's side revealed that this was not the case, so the lip that you see in the following pics will be removed before I start welding.

hX91Bl.jpg

dEpX5D.jpg

197bs6.jpg

There's still some tweaking to do with the panel fit, but overall a really good afternoon in the garage, which has yielded a number of new parts which I hope to get welded on in the next couple of weeks.

Karl

• 2 weeks later...

Given the change in the weather over the weekend you might not be surprised to hear that I didn't spend too much time in the garage this weekend!

It didn't get above 5 degrees in the garage, and combined with the wind, I wimped out and only spent a couple of hours tin bashing on Saturday afternoon, tweaking what I did last week to improve the fit, as per the pic below.

HOAX2E.jpg

Even getting this far took several coffees in order to restore the circulation in my fingers!

But then it was time to break out the welder and join the two pieces of the repair section together, which at least meant I got some heat into the garage!

I've never been so happy to hold a piece of steel I've just welded!

I didn't take any pics on Saturday as the phone died, so had to resort to taking some pics on Sunday.

G4zzss.jpg

6PcTfB.jpg

ybKKSr.jpg

It's not finished yet as there are some holes that I need to weld up, and I need to tidy up the flange so that it matches the one on the driver's side, but that is a job for next week now.

Hopefully it won't be quite so cold then as I am now a self confessed wimp when it comes to the cold now.

Karl

Well another weekend gone, and it was definitely a game of two halves.

Saturday was spent sorting out the last of the welding on the large home made repair section, leaving me with this.

F5QK1a.jpg

Note holes punched ready for spot welding to the Chic Doig panel, and the back.

boIhoW.jpg

Neat enough, considering that it will be buried in the depths of the passenger side footwell, and certainly good and strong.

Next up was the curved section beneath the bonnet latch, which I repaired a few months back, but hadn't got the curvature right, so had to cut it out and start again.

OPmS0c.jpg

Chopped out, and ready for a new patch, which utilised some of the steel cut from the Chic Doig panel, hence the colour.

rDM69w.jpg

Nice fit, and now just needed welding.

RJInNv.jpg

The aftermath, cleaned up with a flap disc, and a tungsten carbide burr in my Lidl air grinder, which makes this sort of thing a lot easier.

And that's where I left it Saturday evening, at the end of the first half.

Cue the second half today, which didn't go so well.

No pictures today, which is probably a good thing, as I slunk out of the garage feeling somewhat crestfallen.

Why? I'd welded in the new Chic Doig panel with the front bulkhead flipped through 90 degrees to improve access, but in my enthusiasm, rather than just tacking it in place, had seam welded large portions of it, without checking the fit first.

Of course when I flipped it over and put it back on the chassis, the front portion sat fine, but not the rear of the floor pan which is now sitting about in inch higher than it should.

Whoops!

I must have cut too much off the repair panel, which when joining the old and new had pulled the footwell panel upwards.

A bit of a schoolboy error, but one that I can fix.

Oh well lesson learned, now to fix it.

Karl

• Like 1

After last week's dropped ball, it was time to work out how to rectify the situation.

The first step was to bolt the bulkhead to the chassis so that I knew I had a solid set of reference points to work from, which just highlighted the problem that I had created.

QOPyrY.jpg

You can see the driver's side sits flat on the middle outrigger, while the passenger side sits at least an inch high, which you can see better in these shots.

Dg2hW2.jpg

9dQqVK.jpg

I still need to sort out the frilly edge, which will be my next job once I finally get this bit sorted.

What I then did was cut through the weld that joined the new and old panels together, which took some effort as the weld was thicker and stronger than the steel of the panels, but which then allowed the panel to pop back to it's correct alignment, revealing the gap to be bridged.

pmnHG9.jpg

But this then allowed the panel to bolted to the middle outrigger without distorting the bulkhead.

WFPNAF.jpg

Much better!

Now to start closing that unsightly and embarrassing gap.

m43uAU.jpg

Here is the first piece cut and shaped and ready for welding when I next get into the garage.

I'm happy with progress today as I felt like I had completely cocked it up last week, but at least I now know that I can fix it.

Karl

• Like 1

Luckily most of it will be covered by the lower section of the A post that I cut away, so even better!

This is where I left it last Saturday, not getting any time in the garage on Sunday, or yesterday for that matter.

m43uAU.jpg

First up this afternoon was tacking in the sliver of steel I cut out last week to start filling the gap.

ksiKER.jpg

This was then tacked further, ground back and seam welded, as I wanted belt and braces on this repair given it's what links the front of the chassis to the passenger cabin!

jeCRzZ.jpg

The difference in the rigidity of the bulkhead is amazing, it's feeling much more secure already, just with this bit welded in. I've only applied a couple of plug welds on the outside where the vertical section of the bulkhead laps over the new repair section, and three more where the inner section of the A post attaches to the flat of the repair panel over the chassis mounts.

This lot was then ground back with a flap disc, and then a tungsten carbide burr in my air grinder, as my flap discs are a little lacking in bite and need replacing, allowing me to try the section removed from the lower A post in place.

bO5MzR.jpg

There's still more work to do, before I can weld it back in, but it's getting there, and Mrs B is away next weekend, so I should get a couple of days in the garage to finish this repair off.

Karl

Hello Karl

I have spent the last week reading through your restoration, it is very impressive. I hope you do not mind me saying but the welding from where you started is now very impressive.  The work you are putting in is a credit to you and I hope you are enjoying it. In addition the time spent doing the forum. 

Keep going

Graham

Graham many thanks for that.

I would be the first to say that my welding has definitely improved over the last 18 months, but there is still some way to go until I would claim to be a half decent welder.

Its all nice and strong, just not as pretty as I would like.

Thanks again.

Karl

Pete, I'm going as fast as I can!

I have managed to make some progress this weekend while Mrs B was away up north with friends, but not as much as I had hoped as this car continues to fight back.

Friday afternoon was spent plugging the gap between the rear of the replacement Chic Doig panel, and the original sill on the passenger side.

hKVx9r.jpg

z3C4bn.jpg

I ended going with Pete's patchwork approach, using one larger piece to close the gap on the inner sill, and 2 much smaller sections welded in from below to close of the last awkward shaped gap.

I also paid a return visit to the plug welds at the front of the bulkhead, as they just hadn't penetrated sufficiently, so were drilled out and the panels clamped together.

This time the welder was turned up to the second highest setting, with the wire speed wound back a tad, before attacking the panel.

Gx9KiM.jpg

This time, no issues with penetration, and everything is soundly attached.

With that out of the way I took a look at the bottom of the A pillar again, as I still wasn't happy with the fit of the curved session at the outside base of the pillar.

Not happy with what I found, nothing for it but to cut out the offending metal.

ug5bUu.jpg

Replacement section made up and test fitted.

3ev06Y.jpg

Holes punched out ready for plug welding.

cd6CD0.jpg

Then plug welded in.

g6scE2.jpg

That was then welded in from behind, and ground back with a flap disc, which highlighted the fact that the sill needed further work, necessitating removal of a section of the door step.

jzQr9u.jpg

A quick bit of welding, followed by an attack of the angle grinder.

Q6dGts.jpg

bdkyai.jpg

Not perfect, but with a skim of filler it should be good to go.

I had hoped to get the inner section of the A pillar in the I had removed in the summer, however that can wait until next weekend.

Karl