Police Triumph Herald?

Colin Lindsay

At the NEC last month, at the Classics show, I met the archivist of the Police Vehicle Enthusiasts Club, Paddy Carpenter.

He was enormously knowledgeable, as an archivist should be, and has a book out called "Police-Stop!"  https://www.amazon.co.uk/Police-STOP-Response-Vehicles-England/dp/1445658313  (Only £14, an arresting read!)

He can be contacted via the PVEC website: http://www.pvec.org.uk/contacts/

JOhn

Each Force/Constabulary specified mods as they required them: zip in headlining (to access roof lights), suspension/engine mods etc.

Panda Cars (Unit Beat Policing vehicles) would have had minimum mods as they were only for transport, not pursuit, nor even (theoretically)  patrol.  

Might have had some wiring mods to allow fitment of UHF radios, but fitting would have been by Police workshops and Home Office radio engineers.

(Dave Rumens was a Radio Engineer, but I doubt if he had any experience of Herald Pandas.)

C.

I imagine that the problem for Police vehicle enthusiasts is that it is surely illegal to drive about in Police livery, let alone wear the Blues.

So unless you are recreating a Q-car, the Battenburg or Jam Sandwich can only go on once you get to the show.

Which must make it a bit - er- imprisoning?   :rolleyes:

John

GT6 I've long been aware of through Angie Hill's excellent example and over here they had Police TR6 vehicles, and of course plenty of Triumph 2000s. 

I need to see a few photos or get the correct information of what was done to them, even minor things like a zip in the headlining for the roof sign / light are important in the scheme of things.

They were never pursuit vehicles, but merely used for about-town calls and light patrolling duties.

The June / July 2016 edition of Triumph World carried a 5 page article about a GT6 Mk 2 police car - the one in the photos earlier in this thread. They reunited the car with a former police driver who talked a little about her memories of the car and its use.

Gully

Problem was - it was like a dog chasing a car - once a criminal was caught, where did they put him? No room for passengers... :)

Anyway this thread has become like a group of old men drinking in  a Ballymena pub. "Police Heralds? Wait till I tell you, the 2000 was a much better car....  naw the Ford Zephyr was.... did you watch those in Z Cars?.... now THERE was a television programme....

So I'll be the grumpy one that bangs his walking stick on the table and reminds everyone it's HERALDS I need details of! There's more wandering off in here than a flock of loose sheep!

Yes my background is both electronic and mechanical.

In the UK most of the Panda cars were Morris 1000's. However, the general mods back in the 1960's were. A larger output dynamo, extra fuses, a zip in the headlining to get at the stuff mounted on the roof.

I didn't have much too do with the Panda cars. I don't remember an unmarked GT6 but do remember the West Sussex Lotus Cortina's. The 2.5PI Saloon was the most widely used Triumph and PI set-up proved to be reliable.

Dave

Casper - I understand Dave Pack passed away in October this year in Oz where he emigrated when he retired. Well respected both technically and as a person.

Thanks for letting me know.  A good hard working man, but M2HJ still had it's problems.  Dave used to blame sunspots (and I know they had an effect).  

I loved the PIs.  For some reason we ran them without wheel trims - I think it was something about tearing out the valves (or maybe it was so the trims didn't look tatty when they were resold).  One of Chertsey's Cortinas went to the workshop for service and a fault reported on the oil light.  On driving it back the engine seized.  They had drained but not refilled the oil and 'cured' the oil light problem by taking the bulb out !  So much for Advanced drivers doing cockpit checks on getting into a car.

C.

There were problems caused by weather condition. VHF is not always line of sight, under the right or wrong conditions the signal will travel hundreds of miles.

The PI, I can remember there were problems with the welds cracking in the centre of the road wheels. Up-graded road wheels had to be fitted. They did get heavy use. As wheel trims did have a habit of falling off, also damaging the valves sounds right to me.

Dave