Air Filter box

euan douglas

Looking for advice and thoughts please.

My GT6 currently has K&N pancake filters, which were on the car when I bought it.  In the interests of originality I have got a standard air filter box which I'd like to fit, so I have some questions:

1. Will fitting this make any difference to the performance/running of the car, if I change nothing else?  I have no idea what needles are fitted or if they are even different from standard. The car runs/idles perfectly.

2. Is it better to stick with the K&Ns?

3. How do the inlet hoses for the filter box attach to the side of the radiator, or do they attach elsewhere or anywhere for that matter?

Thanks for any help

Euan

• Like 1

Original box good, K&Ns pretty, but not so good. The standard box allows colder air from the front grill into the carbs via the hoses. The K&Ns take in the hot air that surrounds the engine which may prove troublesome in hot weather or warmer climate.  

My hoses used to be held in place by a wire clip which attached to the front of the chassis. This has long since dropped off and the hoses now screw into two holes in the cardboard radiator cowl surround. I believe this was the previous standard and the wire clip a development too far.

No change in needle or set up required.

You can just make out the cowling holes here:

http://www.canleyclassics.com/triumph-gt6-mkiii-radiator/

I made the same swap last year and noticed no change in performance. The car is quieter as well as being happier in stationary traffic for the reasons described by Doug. The air filter hoses I got from Rimmers were fractionally too short to allow me to put them through the radiator cowl and so I ended up attaching them to the outside of the cowl with self-adhesive cable tie fasteners from Maplins. They're not in front of the radiator but they get the benefit of drawing air from a cooler location than before.

Wayne

Thanks for the thoughts.  Just as I had hoped  -  no change to the setup required and in fact a positive benefit from drawing in cooler air, so win-win all round.

I see Canleys do the hoses, I wonder if they might be longer than those from Rimmers?

Euan

Go to garden centre or pond aquatic centre , you can buy metres of it for

the price of the car spare emporious

1.5" is the size plus a couple of hose clips.

Even the best triumph achieved was a rather cheap W style support on the sode of the rad frame

and every 6 pot had the hoses as std. From day one .

Euan, the radiator cowling and engine side panels are an excellent way to keep the engine temperature down, that's why Triumph put them there! The front cowling ALWAYS sags, why is that!!? :lol: You can get Au ones but I've reinforced mine with strips of wood, underneath, out of sight.  

Hi been following this post with interest. See attached pic - is this Hoover tube inner considered smooth ? as would like to fit on my Vitesse mk2 Air Box - only issue is will the missus miss a much shorter tube ?

Best regards

Paul 

post-1431-0-24206600-1485528961_thumb.jpg

When I get on the laptop (its piped up in the conservatory... Brrr)

I will post a pic of my waste pipe version , if you want something to make up

clives idea of straight rad hose is good , but I reckon 6cly vitesse is 1.5" same as my 2000

4 cyl in probably smaller

Measure the spout ?

pete

• 1 year later...

Out of curiosity on this subject, is there any advantage to having K&N style filters with an air guide to direct cold air from the front of the car but without an enclosure around the filters?

I prefer the idea of an open filter that has less restriction on the amount of air it can suck in, if that makes sense?

Simon