Triumph 2500 Headlights

sulzerman

They don't look original, in that the lenses are clear, but I have a pair of "crystal" headlights in my spitfire, and the light is fantastic. So much so that I have never needed to use the spotlights I thought I would need when doing 12 car rallies at night. I would assume the smaller size is equally good?

Otherwise branded ones eg cibie would be a safe, if pricey, bet.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all

I fitted a pair of crystal headlights as recommended. They are excellent and have transformed nighttime driving

Thanks for the advice!

Hi Where did you purchase your crystal headlights from as my Vitesse has the existing sealed beams and looking to convert

Paul 

Crystal lights have a plain glass (Acrylic more likely) lens rather than the traditional type with a pattern on them. To achieve the correct pattern they rely on the reflector shape, so that is probably more complex that the original type. They seem to waste less light energy in achieving the pattern....

Pretty sure most are e marked (mine are) and seem to be lasting well on a car that spends a lot of time outside. Much better than the Wipac/autopal varieties in my experience (where the reflectors start to lose brightness around the edges fairly quickly)

• Like 1

A better link, but looks as though you will need to purchase 2x H1 bulbs for the main as these appear to come with 4x H4 units - I suppose you do then have 2x spares !!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ford-Cortina-Capri-5-3-4-H4-Crystal-Halogen-Headlamp-Headlight-Upgrade-Pilot-/261771311744?hash=item3cf2c93a80:g:66cAAOSwBLlU2jSw

Regards.

Richard.

Hi Richard thanks for links , H1 Bulbs cost between £1.50 & £15 each . Which ones do you use 

Thanks again for valuable advice

Paul 

• Like 1

Hello Paul.

I have to say I am a big fan of Osram bulbs, not only for the classics but also our modern vehicles. Yes they are a tad more expensive but they are a quality bulb and have an excellent shelf life during use.

Just flicking through EBay, I spotted the following: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Brand-new-Osram-Silverstar-Headlight-bulbs-H1-H4-H7-Closing-stock-Sale-/172582888058?hash=item282ebde27a:g:98UAAOSwzgBYzlSW

The lights should be sold in pairs, which looks as though these are on the sellers listing, but worth making an enquiry to confirm. The seller is open to offers so could be worth a cheeky tipple; especially as your Micra fan was a scoop !!

Here is some info from Osram: https://www.osram.com/osram_com/products/lamps/vehicle-and-bicycle-lighting/cars/halogen-headlight-lamps/silverstar-2.0/index.jsp

There are other Osram types such as Nightbreaker and Nightbreaker Plus, all of which have various updates. I think the Silver Star with Crystal units will be a very nice set-up IMHO; quite tempted myself !!

Regards.

Richard.

Thanks Richard and Clive, for your comprehensive replies.  Very helpful.  Cars' headlamps have certainly improved in quality and intensity over the 50-odd years that our cars have been around.  I have run mine with a halogen-conversion for a long time now and although an improvement over the originals, they're not up to some of the (often blinding!) ones on some moderns.

Tom

Hello Tom.

I agree with your view on modern cars with headlights that are at times blinding; especially if out of alignment - a helpful aid that has almost become a real danger. Is it really necessary to have lights that bright - I am not sure there is. It's likely that some accidents have occurred due to an oncoming driver being blinded especially along country roads. 

The downside is that drivers will drive faster with these penetrating lights and probably way beyond their ability to control the vehicle correctly if a situation occurs in front of them.

Regards.

Richard.

Agree if you look at the modern projections you dont have the clean top cut off of the older lamps

far more stray light gives a bright fuzzy cloud above the \___ flat top beam cut off

more devised by styling and how daft can we make the running lights add these seem to be on with headlamps to creat even more dazzle

Chuck in varifocals and heat reflective screens and thers no hope ,.....well squint and hope

Pete

• 2 weeks later...

A better link, but looks as though you will need to purchase 2x H1 bulbs for the main as these appear to come with 4x H4 units - I suppose you do then have 2x spares !!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ford-Cortina-Capri-5-3-4-H4-Crystal-Halogen-Headlamp-Headlight-Upgrade-Pilot-/261771311744?hash=item3cf2c93a80:g:66cAAOSwBLlU2jSw

Regards.

Richard.

Hi Richard - Ive added the Crystal headlight replacements to my birthday list for my vitesse  !  One ? currently the 2 outers are halogen and the 2 inners are sealed beam - with the crystal upgrade will the current wiring be ok or will a relay be required ?

best regards

Paul 

The bulb wattage is not very different between some sealed vs bulbed be they halo or tungsten

the old sealed on my 2000 were 75w

Most halo are 55/60w so actually a bit less

what you gain with relays and a good sized and fused supply is 14.5 volts at the pointed end

with old wiring and ancient switch gear on my old vit6 we had only 10volts under load

so getting full voltage to the old lamps will rejuvenate glow worms into bright yellow using halo

makes for a brighter white, but getting the voltage up to a correct workin level is the key to decent lighting and safe guards the old switches from heating up

pete

• Like 1

The bulb wattage is not very different between some sealed vs bulbed be they halo or tungsten

the old sealed on my 2000 were 75w

Most halo are 55/60w so actually a bit less

what you gain with relays and a good sized and fused supply is 14.5 volts at the pointed end

with old wiring and ancient switch gear on my old vit6 we had only 10volts under load

so getting full voltage to the old lamps will rejuvenate glow worms into bright yellow using halo

makes for a brighter white, but getting the voltage up to a correct workin level is the key to decent lighting and safe guards the old switches from heating up

pete

Hi Pete , is there an idiots guide how to introduce relays into existing lighting wiring 

regards

Paul 

You need 2 relay one for dip one for main

e bay sells some cheap kits with fuse and pig tails to link up

you make a fused feed from the starter sol battery side. You use the old wires to trigger the relays

so mount them up front under the bonnet and you only need to run a supply to them

Break out the old wires in the front snap connectors , fit lucars to match the relay terminals

Hoping there will be a sketch along soon from someone who can ....draw

pete

• Like 1