Vitesse core plug water leak

Robin

I've just noticed a small water leak dripping down the engine block. At first I thought it might be a blown cylinder head gasket but on closer inspection I think it might be leaking from a core plug (photos attached). If it's the latter, is it it a complicated job to replace the plug and a also where would I get a replacement?

One other thing - the leak only seems to occur after the engine has stopped, not while it's running. Is there any temporary sealer I could use?

Many thanks

Robin

post-127-0-64629500-1490976332_thumb.jpg

post-127-0-96075700-1490976382_thumb.jpg

It's not hard to replace them as long as they are the later dished type rather than the domed type called Welch plugs. I always use a bit of sealant around the new plug, either one of the Loctite range of products or Hylomar. They are available from Canleys, Fitchetts, Rimmers etc.

Manifolds off at the least

and, replace  all ye can see, as they  will be all about rotted thru

the ones ont end of cyl heed are doo,able in situ too

butt involved due to restricted space

The housing needs t,be really cleaned oot,

ne gunge left in the holes where new plug is gonna go

Use some sealing compund,like 574, 

AND, bung in a bootle of K Seal, as they will most likely leak  at fust, till its sealed

some doo, some dont

there are also a couple b,int the frunt an rear  end plates

just hope they dont go, as its engine oot job

NOTE, If ye try an shift the water pipe running along back oft blok,

it,ll moer than likely snap off, or will twist an leak

an going by the look of it, its ready t,go

so either fit a new,n or better still, fit a stainless steeel one

May also be stuk into the adaptor int pump back too.

good luk

M

Not hard to remove or replace - dig the old one out (hammer a screwdriver through the middle and twist) and don't damage the block / head around it; clan up the aperture with a wire brush and then replace like for like with a little bit of sealer. I wouldn't use any sealant type additive as they just gum things up - make sure you keep the coolant well topped up and carry spare water just in case.

Not hard to remove or replace - dig the old one out (hammer a screwdriver through the middle and twist) and don't damage the block / head around it; clan up the aperture with a wire brush and then replace like for like with a little bit of sealer. I wouldn't use any sealant type additive as they just gum things up - make sure you keep the coolant well topped up and carry spare water just in case.

Thanks Colin - Can you let me know payment details for the boot channel?

Hi,

I would suggest, while you have the manifolds off, changing the water pipe. From your photo, it looks a bit corroded. There are stainless steel replacements available out there somewhere.

If one core plug has corroded through, its possible that the rest may not be far behind.

Good luck with the repair.

Hi I recently changed the water pipe and purchased a stainless version

from canleys. The fitting was fine though the stainless pipe was too big to take the olive. Filing the first inch to accept the olive went ok and no leaks . I don't think the olive was included

Hope this helps

Olive usually available from the same supplier as the pipe. I wonder if they use 13mm pipe now as more easily available/cheaper? who knows.

I use a seal puller with core plugs, a useful tool and gets most out pretty easily. Yes, I know punching the core plug and a screwdriver works, but the puller is easier to use. Also handy for rubber seals!