so what do you clean glass with

Pete Lewis

ive been fighting the smeary deposits on the windscreen on my Picasso for a while

even the pole's wash n wax locally does not last without all the wipe marks appearing next day

so windolene ,autoglym ,halfords, turtle wax, thinners and water , brake cleaner, newspaper,neat screen wash, 

all have been rubbish 

but white vinegar wins hands down ...its worked  a treat 

so what do you use ????????????????????????????????????

Pete

Yup, white vinigar is the stuff. People still say news paper to clean it off but that doesn't work anymore. In olden times news print ink was noxious stuff and did clean glass,  modern print ink, no good at all.

My house windows need cleaning, (I only did them last year!) Went down to Waitrose, do they have plain white vinegar? Off course not! 3 dozen artisan offerings, walnut and pomegranate,  red wine infused with gogi berries, white wine and lemon grass.   :angry: 

bit like getting brown tea , builders cuppa stuff, 

all sorts of colours flavours and insipid stuff but tea seems to be now an environmentally useless hooch  for yuppies or greenies 

happened to get the white vinegar   from Sainsbugs   we dont  have a posh supermarket like waitrose up ere.

but a new  Aldi is  only 300yds away    ( i didnt look there)

I bought a giant sack of Yorkshire hard water tea bags from Makro. Big mistake. A year later I'm still ploughing through them. At first great, but now tasteless, I'm having to putting 2 or 3 in a cup to get any taste. Note to self, always buy tea in small quantities.

Wilkinsons do a series of various cloths, "No More Chemicals", they're impregnated with silver if I remember rightly. You just need to dampen them to be effective and definitely work very well, just keep rinsing them out. The glass one is brilliant, cost is about £1:50, I carry one with us all the time, hate windscreens that aren't clean.

Yes, white wine vinegar. Good for glass,descaling sinks etc,not sure about the coffee machine though (smell/taste lingering).

It is very cheap and readily available here as lots of people use it for jobs like this.

However malt vinegar is very hard to find,my last bottle was bought in Spain in a shop run by Brits for expats. I felt so guilty going in

But if you don't have malt how do you pickle your onions?!! :o

I don't​ I get my pickles from the chef at my village bistro, picked herring​s, onions,mixed pickle etc He's Danish, wife is Belgian. Running a bistro in what was the prespetry,leased from the village council in a small village in Normandy, oh! I'm on my second term as a councillor. Standard everyday stuff really

Derek,  not inflation proofed then  Ha !

I'll get one with the wifes pension  

now cold tea there's a thought.

i could put some vinegar in the screenwash but will always be dreaming of a chip shop with every squirt  

Pete

Some (winter?) screen wash contains alcohol.    Whenever I use some of that, I think, Ah!  G&T!

JOhn

we had neat alcohol on the line side for adding into the air brake antifreeze resevior.. half the opertators were tipsy

same applied to neat screen wash 

the fun stopped when banned from the line side and decanted in a locker room,

early days of sprayed impact adhesive  had  a cab line of loonies till H & S became god and spoilt their fun 

Hic.

and a new metalurgical lab had a re fit with loads of plastic wast pipe   think it as carbon tetrachloride used to clean samples which down the drain melted the lot 

happy days 

bit like the fire on the lab bench which when blasted with an extinguisher blew the lot over and set fire to the whole lab ....happy days 

Mercury filled 'sphygnomanometers' (blood pressure measuring) in every doctors room?

The Horror!

I once had a small, sealed vial of mercury at home.  Can't recall where it came from (probably a sphyg!) but to remove itf from little children, I rand tge local council's refuse disposal dept.

They sent round two men, in forensic suits and gloves, within 30 minutes!   Didn't ask me where I got it!

John

I had  a special barometer  in the emissions workshop,  held about 1/2 pint of mercury in a leather  pouch  to re calibrate it you screwed a pad into the bag to raise the manometer pile 

bet it all went in the bin when we closed the factory.

Pete