Overdrive speedo angle drive

Hi

This appears to have broke on Vitesse, so a few questions please.

I have heard of this being omitted and the speedo cable going in directly at 90 degrees to G/B?.

If so, I can't see any male threads anywhere,to attache the cable locking cap thingy?.

Also I guess It already has a longer cable due to being an O/D box, therefore assume I would need an even longer cable and if so, are these available?.

I have heard that the angle drive can act as a sort of mechanical fuse, as it's the weak bit of system and there prevent other parts getting damaged, if a problem develops. Any views on this?.

Any help, great, thanks.

Cheers, Dave 

Theoretically yes you can do away with the angle drive as long as the end of the cable fits the gearbox directly (next time I'm in the garage I'll check however the diameter may be different) but this is dependant on the room you have round it - hence the reason for the angle drive in the first place. I don't think it was designed as anything other than a space saver, so no weak link to save the speedo or cable  (the latter being much cheaper to replace)

If you remove it you'll need that extra few inches of cable but I think the overdrive cable is the longest version available, unless you can get one custom made.

Dave is yours D or J type ?

we have an area car with the cable direct fit on the OD and runs through a hole in the floor under the carpet up to the head with the std OD cable

this is on a D type   od. and the  cable on this is a direct fit

the angle drive will have failed because it does not have the 7/17" 538532   copper/fibre washer fitted to space the drive away from the gearbox

many places like rimmers wont sell or warrant the drive if this simple washer is omitted.

Pete

Hi, thanks

It's a J type and a push fit into O/D secured by a plate with a cut out, which is held by a small bolt I seem to remember.

The cable has always had some side to side waggle and front to back play, which I have always wondered about and I don't remember a separate washer when I took it off once.

cheers, Dave

from rimmers pics there is a adaptor nkc43 to convert the drive to the threaded end for angle drive 120694  which is clearly states you must have the washer fitted .

if you have the aaptor the cable should screw on direct if thats a way to go , 

if you dont have the threaded end you could be without the adaptor and possibly a different to normal  angle drive  ??

Cheers Pete. How was your holiday?. No withdrawal symptoms with being away from the garage I hope.

I think mine may have that adapter as has the securing plate that comes with it.

Will have to have a proper look. Will have to jack G/B up a bit, Maybe an inch or more, to take off angle drive I think. Can I just undo the G/B,O/D mounts as the prop sliding joint will allow for the movement.

Also, where does that washer fit, as can't see it on any parts diagram etc.

Cheers, Dave 

they hide the drive well in thin finger long plier access on the small chassis cars.

abandoned the yorkshire wet sheep on the friday and gave up came home a day early.  there's more fish and chip shops than sheep well nearly

the washer just sits in the drive to make a sort of simple spacer , any washer that fits inside the thing will space it be it copper,  fibre or steel

the 7/16" is the hole size  . it doesnt need to be that accurate ... just  find a washer in your hord of bits and bobs.

if you undo the clamp plate and withdraw the whole assy you will get very oily 

Pete

Cheers Pete.

Removed angle drive. The square ended drive cable that locates into the end of the O/D pinion shaft has broke about 1" and a 1/2" down from the square end. Have removed this and put angle drive back on, as need the car for work tom.

Looking at angle drive, diagram, I'm not clear on what holds the pinion and shaft from moving outwards when turning.  If its just the square end drive cable that Iv'e taken out, can I still use car, do you think please.

Thanks, Dave

most drives are not  repairable,  well mend to destruction seems to fit the task.  

its broken due to being too long it preloads the thing hence this spacer washer is added

if you can make a new square drive to make it all work fine , if the speedo doesnt work then thats not legal ....whos to know ???

certainly have aplay with the drive let us know how you get on 

pete

Cheers Pete

Will replace A/D  anyway. Just need to know if can drive in meantime without wrecking O/D pinion etc, as don't know how this is secured, and the broke bit of square drive cable from pinion shaft to angle drive, I have removed, if this does support the pinion shaft.

thanks, Dave     

There's a chap over at the TR Register who repairs them. He did a really impressive article in the Register Comic several months ago, analysing why all the repro angle drives are so poor. He's tooled up to repair the original Smith's Industries ones. Might be worth a go? Just mosey on over and search for "angle drive" and "AlanT"

Someone else at the TR Register recommends a company called Speedograph Richfield Ltd who don't attempt to copy the original, but make a CNC machined equivalent. However, he warns that they're £95 a pop!

No connection with either, but thought it might be useful.

Cheers, Richard

I have successfully repaired angle drives at home.

On the back I used a small, very sharp cold chisel to remove the 3 pressed lugs that hold the back on. Then it all comes apart.

The broken bit can be knocked out. Then the tricky but.

I used old Speedo cables to provide new wire "bits", cut with an angle grinder fitted with thin blade.

The difficulty is how to fit the new bit. I cleaned it all up and carefully degreased, then once happy with position used my mig on the inner part. Seems to have worked!

Carefully reassembled, plenty of grease and peen the alloy housing over the metal back. So far about 10k attached to my type 9 box via a clever (no, that is a lie) bit of adaptation.

But as a curve ball the Speedo drive on the shaft in the gearbox has cunningly slid an inch. So Speedo stopped working. I assumed it was my angle drive. Once home I shall try some studlock or whatever to hopefully drop a reoccurance. All while leaving the box in the car...

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks a lot for all your replies, very useful.

would like to repair if pos.

Have read Alan T's info on TR site. very good.

Few questions please.

Not dismantled my A/D yet, its a repro I think so don't how it's made up inside.

Is the short length/stub of cable from the O/D to the A/D  square headed, where it fits into A/D, same as how it fits O/D pinion.

If so. Haven't got a broken cable to adapt for this, so was wondering if i could make up a solid bit , maybe file up a length  of thinish , round  alloy (if tough enough)  rod and file to a square profile( Pretty good at this sort of stuff as used to make silver jewelry), though it would have to be pretty straight/true I imagine (I assume the the cable gives a bit of flexibility/leeway).

Any thoughts please.

Thanks, Dave 

• 2 months later...

Paul,  rimmers make it quite clear they offer no warranty if theres no washer no mater what car its fitted to

earlier posts had a BL service document stipulating it needs a washer

its not my  idea , just what we have gleaned from documented data from all over the place 

the angle drive is a simple pair of bevel gears the drive end that fails  is a short bit of speedo cable with a pressed in shaft attached,  not easy to replicate 

you can knock te shaft out of the gear but need a lathe or something to make a replacement shaft