Seized Studs

Adrian

For future use a 50/50 mix of ATF and Acetone is far superior to spray can release agents. Have a google

Also an induction heater will heat it up nicely. I have and use one of these.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pro-5V-12V-Low-Voltage-ZVS-Induction-Heating-Power-Supply-Module-Heater-Coil-PM/192285333847?epid=2214062564&hash=item2cc5195957:g:HKwAAOSwFWVZnCWd

Adrian

• 4 months later...
On 24/11/2017 at 4:09 PM, JohnD said:

If the manifold stud has useful threads, leave it alone!

On the flange, again, it's the exposed threads that get eaten away, so if the rest are still there, use them!

Double nutting is, to be honest, a desperate measure bordering in bodge.  Invest in a stud extractor, NOT the type that forces a knurled wheel against the stud, but a 'roller' extractor (see below) that grips the stud allong oits length and won't damage it.       Not cheap about £10 each.

As Pete said, non-ferrous nuts will help prevent them seizing again, but not Brass, which is a soft metal.    You need Bronze nuts, available in eBay, again not cheap, about 50p each, but worthwhile.

John

Roller stud extractor.jpg

Need to ask again about the best route for stud extractors

I have now got my engine for refurb I will need to remove multiple studs from exhaust manifold to water pump to head. The ones above seem to be for specific sizes, the one Adrian decided on does multiple sizes

If the better ones are per John then what sizes do i need to buy? And where is the best source?

Aidan 

the laser chuck type takes any size from 6mm to around 12mm 

they are german  made by Klann KL0181-3 these self tightens on removals  and lets go itself on tightening   designed for use with hand !/2" drive or impact gun,   will hold studs with as little as 3mm proturduing 

worth every penny .

available from all over the place 

Hi

Not having access to either Stud extractors, nor to an impact gun. The following worked well. Weld a Nut to the end of said Stud. (assuming not already broken flush!). This has a second effect of introducing heat into the stud/head/manifold interface. Apply release fluid of choice, (in my case, gas oil). Start by Gently progressively tightening and un-tightening the assembly. I have had a high success rate with this method. ranging from 4mm up to 50mm. (Marine Practice).

I have actually removed a near flush broken stud this way on one occasion, but not from a casting.

Using an old welding glove suitably "doctored" helped protect the surroundings from weld over-splash.

Hi  - back to this again

Received the one Pete recommended and as I have pre-soaked in plus gas for a couple of weeks all came out with a spanner easily

I have a couple of questions

I will be putting a new set of studs in, but there seems to be three sizes. Looking at the parts diagrams there seem to be three sizes PN: 105124, 105125  are these 5/16 UNF?  and  101962. I assume the last of these is the thicker size but can tell me what that size is please? 

Whats the best way to refit the studs? Double nutting?

Lastly what quantities are needed? Canleys suggest 13 in total - seems a little odd! (no pun intended!):lol:

Thanks

Aidan

Thanks Pete. Is this another book I need to invest in? I have most but none seem to provide all the part dimensions 

I think the 13 is right as there are two studs with no thread I assume used to position the gaskets and manifolds making 15 in all same as the gasket

Is it better to purchase a whole gasket set for the rebuild?

Aidan 

Ok thanks Pete. There are long and short ones I agree but one of the remaining studs in the spare vitesse engine that I took out of the head at the weekend is definitely a thicker stud. Possible I guess that a P.O. has re-tapped one 

I will recheck the head once its off

Aidan 

Hi  Its a Mk2 Vitesse engine - looking at the various pics of the gasket, I think the plate is wrong on Canleys or does not show all the holes, including dowel slots. I didn't think this was a difficult question (:lol:) but there looks to be 16 

Then again when I look at the Canleys  parts list the quantity of parts don't add up - Dowels 2,  short studs 4, long studs 6 that's a total of 12 

It does mention 101962 2 off as an addition to the short studs and this is on the Mk2 2 Litre cylinder head plate, so not the exhaust manifold but that STILL does not make 16  :wub: 

Aidan

This should be exactly the same as the Mk2 GT6 Engine yes? Not consistent, the MK2 GT6 Head plate on Canleys shows three off of the 101962 aagghhhhhh!

trouble is these studs are used across the range  not just 2ltr

is also used on the back plate to fix the gearbox   on and on 

the three on the exhaust are all the same diameter,  on manifolds and others stud length for the same aplication change length is the sudd is used to support a water pipe or spring brackets etc   so theres no clear science on this 

easy if you fit one too long add a nice  washer,........... if it turns out too short.........start again    ha 

you could offer up the fitting first before you commit to a stud length

Pete

Pete

I was going to buy a pack of each from Bresco as they have always provided me with decent kit. This is why I wanted to know what the larger size was from the 5/16 short and long versions. They are all UNF I assume so what would the next size up be?  maybe I should just buy a mix

Aidan

Looking at the Canleys diagrams, I think my memory is right. There are three types of studs used, and only one is 5/16".

The inlet manifold is held, at the top, by three 5/16" studs, 101962

The exhaust manifold is held, ends and top, by four 3/8" studs, 105124

The whole lot is then clamped by six double-ended clamps on 3/8" studs, 105125.

I think the dowels locate the inlet manifold

2 hours ago, Pete Lewis said:

yes but the studs aid alignment on refitting the manifolds and keep the gasket in place   and you dont want a long bolt to bottom out 

or break into the water jacket

That last one is important to note. I'm not sure on the Mk2 head but on the Mk1 the studs for either end of the exhaust manifold enter the water jacket and removing them empties all your coolant. I know this because a previous owner fitted bolts instead...

P.S. I have put my first name in the signature but I suppose I could add the surname, too, if you want.