Fuel cap leaking

Danwedges

I have noticed that there has been petrol leaking out of the petrol cap and running down the rear wing every time I have been cornering hard so I replaced the rubber cap in the actual petrol cap and this doesn't seem to have solved the issue although it has made it difficult to close the cap now, has anyone else experienced this? Could the spring part in the cap be damaged or bent in any way causing it to not seal? Should I source a replacement cap? Any help will be appreciated thanks

Is your petrol cap a round locking type or non-locking ??

The reason I ask is that I had the former on my Vitesse and it allowed fuel to escape when parked on a camber.

I think the seal had seen better days and in the end I opted for a Waso locking fuel cap that sealed properly and cured the issue.

Before you condemn your cap, it will be a good idea to ensure that the fuel tank filler mouth is not damaged as any issues with that will always allow fuel to escape, no matter what cap you use to try and solve the issue.

Regards.

Richard.

47 minutes ago, Danwedges said:

I have noticed that there has been petrol leaking out of the petrol cap and running down the rear wing every time I have been cornering hard 

Stop cornering hard then! Seriously, if you're going round bends so hard that petrol is coming up the filler and out of the cap, then that's a lot of centrifugal force. I take it that it only happens when the tank is full? I had an ** Metro Turbo (I'm ashamed to type those two letters these days!) and it used to do the same on left hand bends, but that's because the filler was low down on the side, and the petrol came out of the key slot in an impressive spray. I had the car twelve whole weeks back in the early 1980s, and lost it due to.... cornering hard. 

I'd look again at your seal, it may not be fitted correctly or else your replacement isn't the best match.

Haha yeah it's only when I've filled the tank I suppose I will have to stick to driving miss daisy untill I can solve the issue I'll take another look at the seal in the morning and see if I can see wether it's fitted correctly and seated properly 

Dan.

You could place your vehicle information as part of your signature or whatever it is called; which Pete, Doug, me and others do.

Ideal if you have 1x vehicle, but if more you would need to confirm.

It's a possible solution.

Regards.

Richard.

Dan,

While looking for something else I came across this picture of the inside of my fuel cap. Why I took the picture I have no recollection :wacko: I think it may have been a query about the lock mechanism.  My car is a GT6 mk3 but the front of the cap certainly looks the same as yours. Hope this is useful to you. 

w5a901a8512f27_SL380589(1).thumb.JPG.2fdf397705097e37223e37bc87c2a56b.JPG

Doug

Dan,

I've mistaken your car (again!) It IS a GT6. This cap only appears on GT6, I knew that! :lol:

I wouldn't try and bend it. Looking at my picture, it may be an optical illusion but the spigot looks off centre. I wonder if it can be rotated to accommodate the gap? Here is another picture where it looks even more off centre.

5a902817b8c83_SL380590(1).thumb.JPG.fcba048b0c1e27d930f607dc5fed2375.JPG

Doug

Dan.

I'm at an Autojumble on Sunday, if you can provide a part number or generic reference number for the cap - I will keep an eye out for one if that might assist ??

Regards.

Richard.

Richard/Dan,

The seal for the mk3 is non vented and according to Rimmers has part number 725414.

mk1/2s have a vented seal which isn't suitable, it's got a hole in the middle! :lol:

The whole assembly for the mk3 has the key to one side. The mk1/2s have the key in the middle.

Doug