Best Brakes - and source

Anglefire

I think it is to do with new type approval testing. Some bureaucratic hurdle, but rest assured, if pads are for track use, they WILL be of a very high quality.

Actually, it is this 

since 1999 brake pads for road cars have to comply with the ECE R90 regulation, but cars made before that date are exempt.

But our cars are older and do not need to use brakes to that std, just like our headlights do not have to comply with E11 standards.

I am just happy we can buy them and use them:)

• Like 1

On 09/03/2018 at 8:00 PM, dougbgt6 said:

Mark,

I think I new that. :lol: But, I still think you don't want to make the rear end too good and unbalance the system. Didn't some USA models have a damper to balance the front and rear?

Doug

A professional race driver may adjust the front-rear brake balance as they go into each corner, it's that critical.       But conversely, I changed to 4-pots with venteds on the front, and OE drums at the back, then to discs at the back, all without any brake balance mechanism.   While I was alert to balance problems I never found any.      This says much for my lack of driving ability, compared to Lewis Hamilton, but also shows that on the road such problems are largely academic.

John

• Like 1

4 hours ago, clive said:

I think it is to do with new type approval testing. Some bureaucratic hurdle, but rest assured, if pads are for track use, they WILL be of a very high quality.

But, if used on the road, do they affect your Insurance or liability in the event of a claim?

The parts should not be fitted to post 1999 cars. Ours are all old, so no issues.

Of course, this is not from a bottom-covering lawyer, so seek advice if worried. But I would not be. But just think how many parts of our cars do not meet current requirements. The list is extensive....

• Like 1

1155 pads are 'hotter' than 1144s.   The second is intended for ordinary road use, the first for 'fast road', track day or competition use.    They are designed to operate in a higher temp range, and so may not act well until warmed up.  So be cautious for the first few corners!  

But even so, I find them excellent for road use, and fadeless on track, although vented discs probably do more.

John

3 hours ago, mpbarrett said:

Really impressed with the Mintex 1155 pads, made a big difference to the amount of 'bite' when braking.

Definitely worth spending the money on.

mike

whoops that should be 1144 not 1155 pads!
Still good though...

Mike

• Haha 1