GT6 engine on eBay worthwhile spare?

AidanT

1 hour ago, Pete Lewis said:

You cant fit a std mk2 head on to a ME engine or any  with dombed pistons

Well it will ' fit 'but comp ratio will be far too high , and piston may even contact the chamber 

Its shallow head and flat tops 

Or deep head and domes

In simple terms

Pete

Pete, Up to ME50000 the engine was the same as the MK2 Vitesse apart from having a Mk1 cam and heavier flywheel. It has flat pistons. At and after ME50001 the block was common with the 2.5 Litre and domed piston were fitted. Plus it had the 150CDSE carbs and not smiths breather valve.

Dave

Some of my engine build on the Bond might help you, as and when I progress the egine rebuild. It is a Mk1 but most of the build is the same.

I will try to take more photo's to help.

Just like you I am trying to build this engine in the spec it was in when I got it (as it was in the 1970's when raced), which was tuned but not hot.

• Like 1

Hi

I am now going to add more confusion! HA or maybe not!  I had to double check my engine number and its actually:

ML24700HE

So would that be Domed or Flat Pistons?

Maybe I should get one of those camera things from ebay and check? :blink:

Aidan 

Hi Colin

Yes I have seen this one. The trouble is its still a 2000 saloon engine , so if I understand all the other posts above will have a heavier flywheel and not the best camshaft?

The idea is really to do the work myself as a project, to enjoy the process and end up with something I have achieved

Aidan

7 hours ago, AidanT said:

Hi Colin

Yes I have seen this one. The trouble is its still a 2000 saloon engine , so if I understand all the other posts above will have a heavier flywheel and not the best camshaft?

The idea is really to do the work myself as a project, to enjoy the process and end up with something I have achieved

Aidan

Yes, saloon has a huge flywheel which is twice the width of the GT6 version but quite smooth running; I ran my GT6 on one for an age (until I realised!) and it made the engine very relaxed, but obviously at the expense of acceleration. Once I swapped for the GT6 version it made the engine quite light and almost insubstantial feeling. Very easy to swap over, though. Same with the camshaft; it's also a relatively simple swap.

flywheels1.JPG.152d9ca468b55775eafe93f16e397395.JPG

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, dave.vitesse said:

Yes its a Vitesse 2 Litre Mk2 Engine and it would be a good start.

Dave

Thanks Dave. It's got minimal end float and without ancilleries so  I will try and get it at a good price

Aidan

Thanks Colin 

This thread has been a really useful learning curve for me. I would never have realised the difference in the flywheel I know they are heavy so the 2000 doubly so. Thanks for the picture it certainly makes it stand out!

Does this impact on the clutch throw out?

Aidan

10 hours ago, Colin Lindsay said:

Looking at the pictures it is a nice paint job but looking at the picture with the big ends (picture 10) the shells are not the same!? So has been rebuilt before and not to a good standard. A good paint job is not a guarantee of a well built engine, so from the photo's the engine for me would need a full rebuild on, with possible regrind and rebore; at the start price without all the other expensive bits on the outside, the price I think is on the high side (but that might be being tight).

3 hours ago, AidanT said:

This thread has been a really useful learning curve for me.

Yes, good to see GT6 etc engine details in.........detail.

Once upon a time, for a time, I was concerned I had rebuilt my late GT6 with flat top pistons but, no. :lol:

db

12 hours ago, Algy said:

Looking at the pictures it is a nice paint job but looking at the picture with the big ends (picture 10) the shells are not the same!? So has been rebuilt before and not to a good standard. 

Never noticed that! He claims he just checked them and didn't replace them himself.... might be worth an enquiry to see if he is aware.

Hi Pete 

I never considered this as an option but the many comments on this engine are none the less useful. If I manage to buy the one I have found I will add some photos of it on here and will look for ideas on the best routes for reconditioning 

Aidan 

Well missed out on one I was looking for but I'm sure there  will be others. Can I ask you all a question. What price range should I be really looking at ?

Aidan

Suppose I should put a parts wanted request in!