oil feed

Guppy916

On the drive home last night oil pressure at 2000rpm was around 45psi, so I think I'm ok. Will keep an eye on it though. Thanks for the advice chaps. I'll also be shortening a drill bit this evening now in addition to doing the tappets, as I wasn't imagining the increased valve noise.

I'm firmly a metric baby, so I have a lot of learning to do now I've bought a GT6. I always hated fractions at school.

As we showed on the september twiddle day use an old feeler in the tappet to identify a odd noise one which seems at the correct gap but clatters due to worn pads

Use the rule of 13 or  bet the opposite   compression rocking and do  both inlet and exhaust together   (saves turning the engine much)

Retorque first   mk2  7/16"stud   65 -70lbft,   back off 1/2  turn then  re torque  in the planned order  do one at a time 

Pete

So I did the tappets last night, didn't see the bit about re-torquing the head down in time. All of them had no or almost no clearance with feelers. I set the clearances and now there is still a lot of valve noise. I'll have to have a look tonight for rocker wear etc. I may have to invest in one of these click-adjust things to account for the rocker indentation.

Pete, I don't suppose there is any info available on the technique shown at the September twiddle day?

Thanks for all the advice.

A bit of valve noise is not uncommon, and a LOT easier to live with than the consequences of not having enough clearance. That said, if you had valve noise when there was no clearance it suggests something else is up.

You could try the stethoscope method. Run the engine (at idle only) with the rocker cover off. Poke a bit of rubber tube in your ear and point the other end at the top of each valve in turn. You should be able to identify which valves are noisy. Those are the ones to re-check and look at the condition of the rockers.

we should cover tap-petty   tap on twiddle day

its a free house you can ask what you like on the day.  if we can  we will

its easier to answer questions than pre empt what you all like to know 

Pete

another old idea for noises is a nice big wooden handled screwdriver placed against zones of noise  amazing what you hear

not good on rockers or things like fans or you end up in AE  to retrieve the driver   ha !

and all 4 and 6cly rocker's  ' have a tappet clearance  spec.  of 0.010"  COLD   + 0.25mm

I used a 0.010" (0.254mm) feeler. I have used a screwdriver as a stethoscope before without hurting myself (yet), but never heard of the hose pipe one, i'll have to give it a whirl this evening. I think it'd be best if I just take off and inspect the rocker assembly, that way I can see what I'm dealing with and check that the whole lot is sound and was torqued down properly.

be careful  the hose idea,    you might be on the wrong forum   

its easy enough to reface  the rockers they are not overly hard, you can leave the wear face intack but reduce any step so feelers get a better shot at measuring

you can use a stone or whatever to follow the pad contour,  if the shaft is worn you will soon see

take a picture or sketch of the assembled shaft so you know where the left and right rockers and the springs all go 

Pete