GK/GE ancillaries

sami 13/60

Hi Guys 'n' Gals,

Just a quick Q........do the GE and GK code Herald engines share all the same ancillaries without a problem please?.....got one of each engine, but only got the ancillaries currently attached to the GE code motor, and thinking of doing an engine change to rectify the oil burning issue with the GE block and possibly keep the car on the road whilst sorting it, but using the GK block......not a problem if this won't work as I'll just get a litre of midnight oil and do a few late nights, .........but would be nice to do it at a leisurely pace! 

Thanks in advance,

Samantha.

The GK is the potential temp motor........I want to sort the GE motor, which is the original, I believe, and possibly recently rebuilt.........had some possible overheating issues, and needs sorting before too much damage done I think......was pondering on doing some tuning too :) 

Water pump pulleys are different sizes.  Bigger on GK to match the bigger crank pulley.  Probably doesn't matter much but might mess up your fan belt lengths.

Healthy GK is better than a shagged GE...... but a good GE is lovely - even better with a mk 3 Spit cam.

Nick

• Like 2

Hi

Just noted something. My VIN starts GE*********. BUT the Engine is GK*********.?  (Herald 13/60 1971)

Would that indicate the Engine has been "swapped" at some point. I know it has an unleaded Head, as I have the Invoice, but was just curious.

Could be the original engine.  All 13/60 Herald VIN nos start GE but the very late ones (71 would qualify) had the large journal GK engines, presumably because Triumph had "rationalised" their engine production at that point.  In standard Herald form I don't think the crank size makes much difference.  Start tuning them and the small crank shows advantage.

Nick

http://www.heraldrestoration.co.uk/specifications.asp

27 minutes ago, PeteH said:

Would that indicate the Engine has been "swapped" at some point. 

No, commission numbers and engine numbers don't necessarily follow each other or keep the same prefixes - it's what's in the V5 or production trace that will confirm the proper engine.

Thanks for the input guys, sorry for delay, been away over the weekend.............so, just to clarify;

The car arrived to me as "being a bit smoky" and I was told it had overheated on the motorway.  This I believe as there was an AA recovery/fix invoice.  I replaced the rad and flushed through and she runs beautifully, apart from definitely burning oil.  The engine (and gearbox) are very clean (and with new paint) and both I'm sure are recon units, but probably fitted a long time ago, and the car left standing.......there is physical evidence and paperwork that suggest this.  As we haven't had the engine apart, I can't say what is causing the oil burning as yet, so the plan was to see if I can get my spare GK engine sorted and fit it temporarily whilst pulling apart the GE unit, just so I have transport...... I also have a GD code unit that could go straight in, but not sure if the dizzy etc will swap over on that......any thoughts on that folks?

I'm torn between taking the car off the road for a month or so and sorting it all in one go at the expense of other non-car jobs and leaving me without transport during the good weather, or keeping her running on a spare engine and taking my time sorting the "good" engine and doing the other stuff that I'm supposed to be doing........but I'm too old and achy to be doing this sort of thing in the depths of winter, so need to make a decision soon! :unsure:

Samantha.

GK engine will go straight in using the existing manifolds/carb/linkages/ exhaust etc.  The GD is a 1200 and uses different manifolds etc and swapping will be much more involved.

If the GK is a runner - it's a no-brainer - use it!  

Unless the GE has an external rocker feed pipe fitted, the oil burning pretty much has to be a ring problem.  As standard they don't get enough to the top end to loose much that way.  Overheating can certainly cause ring/piston damage but it much have been quite severe.

Nick

The GK/DG/DH was neither a revy or a torquy engine. The later 1300 Toledo's, DH, had a head re-work and cam change, Oct 1972, to reduce emissions and were even more Gutless.

Though I did have a DH last for 125,000 miles from new. Was that good or bad!

Orrible!

Go with the GE, when it runs out of steam in top you just change down and it goes.

Dave