Triumph Herald Horn

andyjwill

Have you got a multi-meter? If so measure the resistance across the horn terminals - no idea what it should be - but it should be something I would guess around a few ohms to a couple of KOhms  - but definitely not nothing and not >MOhms

You may be able to save them, there is an adjuster in the middle, with a locknut. If you can fiddle with that it may help.

Never done it, but I think you can drill teh rivets out and take them apart. But in all honesty about £10 buys a new pair or repro horns that seem to work well. Or if you want a decenthooter, try a stebel Nautilas. They are a serious bit of kit, about £25 but flippin loud! (always scares the MoT man)

Hi

Before you do anything, check the EARTH. A poor Earth connection will degrade any Voltage / current. Radio aerials too where replaced often when they only needed the earthing remaking and a light coat of "Vaseline" to reduce the chance of it happening again!.

Pete

Edited by PeteH
Grammar!

I had the (air) ones, nearly 2ft long on the roof of an American Motorhome they played "Dixie". Not legal on the road though! (switchable). Had Air horns on the BMW Bike too. Often Needed them, to wake up sleeping drivers!. (Sorry mate, didn't see you!).

Pete

When my brother owned my Spitfire, it had air horns fitted. One evening, as he was driving along Oxfordshire country lanes towards mum's house, there was a loud BANG! followed by a constant death rattle. He pulled over, stopped the engine and popped the bonnet but, as it was night time and pitch black in the middle of nowhere, he couldn't see a thing. He walked the remaining two miles to mum's, borrowed mum's car, drove back and towed the Spitfire in. But in the time it took him to do that, some scumbag had smashed the driver's window with a block of wood that had been in the unlocked boot.

The next day, we had a look under the bonnet and the cause of the bang and the death rattle became obvious. The compressor for the air horns had fallen off its mount, swung across on the plumbing, and smacked into the fan.

I did an article in the Aug 2015 Courier re the horns that may be of use.

I have also attached a rough sketch of the wiring layout. This is for the Vitesse. Please note the Herald and very early Vitesse, 1962/3, does not have a fuse but otherwise is the same.

Dave

Picture 11.jpg