Quality gearbox bearings

Chris59

I know, because I've rebuilt dozens of these gearboxes, that Dolomite Sprint/Stag/2000/2500/TR2 to 6 use the same main bearings, ie 58391 (I own no less, sometime more, than one example of each of these cars....)

Unfortunatly, I can't compare the Spitfire/Herald bearings before Friday, when I'll be back in my garage.

On ‎16‎/‎05‎/‎2018 at 8:52 AM, Pete Lewis said:

Surprisingly   Both boxes  use the same bearing    Cw  uses different part no reference 

But  all  all 2000/25000  have the same    stag Tr may be different input shafts are thicker.

Pete

Well, sorry to say that you are wrong, Pete : the "small chassis" gearbox bearings are far smaller than the ones in the Dolomite Sprint/Stag/2000/2500/TR2 to 6' gearbox.

To be honest, it's not really surprising.

So, we are here : apparently, no one here know where can be found good quality gearbox bearings for our small Triumphs :(

I can source branded (RHP last time I asked)  rms8n/MJ1NR/MS10K/Bmc 104433 for single rail boxes, but last time I bought 2 it worked out at around £80+vat for the pair!

Eye watering money for 2 bearings!

(I managed to source a complete set of diff bearings branded SKF for the same amount... 6 for the price of 2 as it were!)

As you say, eye watering, but if the quality is right, why not ?

I'll ask to a friend of mine, who's a lathe' Master, how much it could cost to cut the groove in a set of skf (or equivalent) bearings, + cleaning them properly : it couldn't be far less than your price !

1 hour ago, Chris59 said:

As you say, eye watering, but if the quality is right, why not ?

I'll ask to a friend of mine, who's a lathe' Master, how much it could cost to cut the groove in a set of skf (or equivalent) bearings, + cleaning them properly : it couldn't be far less than your price !

Exactly.... if you think of the man hours etc involved in pulling the gearbox out and rebuilding it I think not paying for decent bearings is false economy.

I bought a pair of un-grooved bearings with the same intention, but they were "only" about half the price of the grooved ones, by the time you add the machining etc.... it didn't look much better.

Hello All

My brand new SKF pair are now locked in the safe for the kids inheritance! 

I bought a grear box about 4 years ago and 2!!!!! new sets came with it!

Roger

Ps  makes me think what all the spares I have are worth?

There is a saying amongst most Land Rover owners i know - and that is to make sure the wife doesn't sell the bits when you have died for what you told her you bought them for! :)

I also find parts I want to sell are worth significantly less than what you need to spend if you need them!