Hello from Paula and her Vitesse

23 minutes ago, Pete Lewis said:

if the cover is ok and the disc it can all be reused , this is obviouslt the best outcome 

as a clue   a  new  coil clutch disc is 0.33" thick (new) when the facings  are nipped in a vice .

(this just puts some compression on the wavy sprung hub disc )     

whilst you can fit a diaphragm disc in a coil cover you  MUST NOT  as a coil disc is thicker than a diaphragm disc and this would really upset pedal and clamp loads 

yes its a look see when the time comes and the car is in bits all over the road  ha !!

Pete

What diameter, Pete? I know the Herald coil version is 6 1/4 inches so presume the Vitesse one is beefier?

14 hours ago, Graham C said:

Move up north and you can have a garbage and garden. Leave the south. You know it makes sense.

I also have to do roadside repairs and dream of a nice double garage. Would move back up North, though family situation means I probably never can. Ah well.

The house is literally rammed with building and mechanicing tools etc, especially as I never throw anything away. 

5 hours ago, daverclasper said:

I also have to do roadside repairs and dream of a nice double garage. Would move back up North, though family situation means I probably never can. Ah well.

The house is literally rammed with building and mechanicing tools etc, especially as I never throw anything away. 

I’ve managed to squeeze a workshop into my little garden. 

93568337-97AB-4147-AD35-7FFAB6D3A254.jpeg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, yorkshire_spam said:

Don't tell people that! It'll drive up the prices! 

Never!, well maybe, who can tel.  With global warming it might be bit warmer oop there now, though more flooding?, with all those hills with slate etc, and dales that used to power all those mills?. 

9 minutes ago, daverclasper said:

Never!, well maybe, who can tel.  With global warming it might be bit warmer oop there now, though more flooding?, with all those hills with slate etc, and dales that used to power all those mills?. 

OOOOH thread drift alert! At about 210m above sea level and with no water courses/rivers anywhere nearby I think my garage might be ok for a while. 🙂

You get a plenty of garage for your money in this area!

DSC_1066.thumb.JPG.3420dc1762dd2181becfb4a5e09f55db.JPG

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, yorkshire_spam said:

OOOOH thread drift alert! At about 210m above sea level and with no water courses/rivers anywhere nearby I think my garage might be ok for a while.

I'm just trying to drive the prices down even further😅

Edited by daverclasper
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, yorkshire_spam said:

OOOOH thread drift alert! At about 210m above sea level and with no water courses/rivers anywhere nearby I think my garage might be ok for a while. 🙂

The village I live in is built along a canal - it used to be quite an important trading hub at one time - but there are a lot of new estates along the waterway, maybe six feet above it at most and backing onto the water.

I'm on the hill overlooking it but as the Insurance Company go by postcodes, I'm designated a flood risk with a correspondingly higher premium. By the time flood water reaches me the entire valley will be under water. Maybe I should move back to my last house which was on top of the highest hill...

I'm lucky, I have a two-car garage.   One side has a pit, about the size of the above, but in my use it's not an advantage, except possibly for oil changes, as spills go down the pit, not all over the floor!

The rest of the time the pit is a problem.    I have two heavy wood covers for it, that lie flush with the floor.  They are quite safe for people to walk over and stand on, but I would neither raise the car with a jack on the cover, nor put an axle stand on them.   Point loading the wood like that invites collapse.   So I work on my car on the other side of the garage.    Anyone with space for only one car should ask themselves how they will raise the car, and how will they support it safely while they work underneath, if they have a pit.

I'd suggest that instead of the great expence of a pit, a set of four good axle stands, and a good trolley jack will be a better investment!

John

PS you also need to consider how you will get down into the pit!   Some modern GRP shells have steps, mine is in brick with vertical sides, so I made myself a ladder from 1" steel tubing, bolted to the side.

Garage pit ladder.jpg