earth straps on 13/60 Herald..

mpbarrett

Just fitting my rebuilt engine to my Herald. Its a 1500 unit. But I have ended up with a spare earth strap. Have one fitted between the engine and the crossmember where the steering rack is, but cant remember where the other one should go (maybe there was only one on the original engine).

Looked thru the Herald parts list but cant find any sign of the earth straps.... 

cheers mike

The https://www.canleyclassics.com/triumph-herald-13/60-stop-light-switch-control-box-battery-main-harness-engine-leads  lists but not avail

The strap to the rack ensures the earth for the horn stillmneed the block earthing  , cant rely on this to earth the starter current must have direct earth to the block Generally on the clutch hsg,  better on a a starter bolt , also a link  from battery to the body  

Amd while re building its worth adding    run a dedicated earth bonds between the rear tub and the baulkhed and the chassis ,and bonnet  this helps  all the  lamps etc  

If you have a missing or poor engine earth its easy to set fire to  choke and speedo cables when youre cranking

Part numbers are listed but most show as unavaiable somits make one upmfrom cable and terminal

Eg   

Pete

My battery is on the passenger side, starter motor on the driver's side. If this is your configuration don't be tempted to run a long cable just to get the earth on the starter. I've seen this done!The owner found his earthing problem by attaching jump leads from battery to starter and then thought "OK that's the way to fix it!"  The earth strap should be as short and as chunky as possible with a good connector to the block. His earth strap looked fine until removed and discovered to be hanging together by a few threads.

Doug

24 minutes ago, dougbgt6 said:

My battery is on the passenger side, starter motor on the driver's side. If this is your configuration don't be tempted to run a long cable just to get the earth on the starter. I've seen this done!The owner found his earthing problem by attaching jump leads from battery to starter and then thought "OK that's the way to fix it!"  The earth strap should be as short and as chunky as possible with a good connector to the block. His earth strap looked fine until removed and discovered to be hanging together by a few threads.

Doug

Apart from earthing straps on my Vitesse Mk2 Ive added an additional  earth lead direct from negative side of the battery  to the starter - I take it this is ok ?

Paul 

The 6-cyl starter is on the driver's side (UK cars) but the 4-cyl is on the passenger side. Yes, it's best to keep the earth cable to a reasonable length but on a Herald, the bolt nearest the starter is not noticeably longer than any other. Steel doesn't conduct as well as copper but the engine back-plate is a substantial enough piece that it's not an issue, really.

Paul - your extra cable won't do any harm but probably doesn't achieve much.

As to availability, the parts to make a (better than the original) earth strap are so readily available, and the process so simple (for a man of Mike's calibre), that it's a non-issue.