AA Book of the Car

Paul H

13 hours ago, Vanadium23 said:

The title brought back memories of an advert that used to be placed by a small engineering firm every few months in the local paper

“ Wanted - women for cleaning”

That Reminds ME of the one where the old man walks into a newspaper office and asks to place an advert, which he is told costs £1.

"I've only got 30p" he replies.

The receptionist relents due to his advanced age and hands him an insertion form, whereupon he thinks for a bit then writes: "Marge is Dead."

The receptionist thinks this is terrible, the poor man can't afford to write a proper death notice, so she tells him he can have three more words free.

He thinks for a time then writes: "Herald for sale."

Ha ! like it.

Brevity in Newspaper headlines also used to be the thing of ? the Sun or the News of the World, I forget which.

The  story goes of a report of a psychotic patient  breaking  free  from a secure unit pausing en route to  sexually assault  one of the  female domestic staff working in the  laundry before  escaping from the hospital.

Next morning the   Sun’s headlines  were   “ Nut Screws Washer and Bolts”.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 12/08/2018 at 07:16, Anglefire said:

I’m pretty sure my dad had this book. No idea where it is now. But if it’s worth £108 I need to find it ????

Dad gave me the book yesterday to give to my daughter who has just passed her test. 

Just looked inside and it is first edition from 1970! ?

I'm told Pete has no problem keeping it up. :lol:  With 40+ members per meeting there's a pretty good return on the raffle.

When our beloved leader Mark handed over the reins of power to me, he gave me the ceremonial Tesco bag. Within were the signing book, some documents and two brown envelopes containing £240 cash that he'd been carting around in the bag for 10 years. Old tenners, old fivers and old twenties, all ex currency this was from when we used to have 40 members and raffles. Fortunately the bank were OK with it and East Berks has funds! Maybe a good raffle at the Christmas dinner?

Doug

5 hours ago, Pete Lewis said:

Thats a matter of opinion I cant comment on

However at the last postrate check the doc used two fingers  I asked why 

He thought I wanted a second opinion !!!!!!

Pete

Think yourself lucky Pete, you have been like this bloke.

After my recent prostate exam, which, I must say, was the most thorough I've ever had, the doctor left and the nurse came in. As she shut the door, she asked me a question I didn't want to hear. She said... "Who was that guy who just left?"

• 9 months later...