Hello from Lee on The Solent

Hi All. My Name is Nick Tucker. I,ve had my Vitesse Convertible for over 3 years now and it still makes me smile everyday?. I drive her to work everyday and wouldnt have it any other way, bit breezy and chilly in winter ,but i love it.

Anyway since i,ve had her she,s had a lot done underneath. New brakes,fuel pipes, driveshafts, bearings the list goes on. Had to do as and when needed. she,s now soon to be getting some new bodywork, a new hood and a respray to make her even better. My wife is starting to call her Triggers broom!. She,s a dark red which i think is Damsan, she,s staying that colour but i,m going for the white stripe and headlights look.

Sorry for rambling.

Cheers Nick

Nick,

"Trigger's broom" very apt, my car has 4 new wings, two new door skins and two new sills. The only original bits are the roof, the bonnet and the rear door hatch. :lol:

I've recently taken delivery of new wool carpets from Coverdale carpets, very, very good quality. My brother has a Spitfire and has also bought from them. A different perspective, pointed out by Coverdale, do you want wool, or part wool carpets in an open top car? It's going, sooner or later, to get wet. Wool doesn't like that. My brother went for man made. 

The other thing is do you want fitted or loose carpets? Fitted are easy to fit, loose are cheaper.

Doug

Hello Nick and welcome to the forum. If you had a totally original 50 year old car many of the parts would need replacing anyway due to normal ageing. All you are doing is the normal running maintenance.

Just for info if you are interested in originality the stripe on the Vitesse was only a feature of the Vitesse 6 (1600). Of course it's your choice and many 2 Litres have been give a stripe by their owners.

Dave  

Hi All.

Thanks for all the welcomes and feedback guys.

I,m Stubbington born and bread too Gully. First ever year at Crofton Sec.

Pete. yeah thats the look i,m after. Not too worried about originality. She was only original once anyway eh!.

Dick. When are the meets at the Seven Stars?

Thanks for info on carpets i,ll let you know how i get on.

On 8/25/2018 at 10:07 AM, dougbgt6 said:

Pete,

who did your seats? I would like something like that, in chestnut of course.

Doug

Doug, MGF are dead comfy, but sadly won't go in  a GT6/spit. Alternative seats are nigh on impossible.MX5 (dare I mention them!) will go but sit you a tad higher.

• Thanks 1

Clive,

Thanks for that, I have no aversion to MX5s, I like them, in fact I may get one when I no longer have to scuttle up and down to Scotland in the mobile armchair.

My head is a fraction from the GT6 roof since I re-did my seat foams, so MX5 seats may be a non starter. Alternatively I like Park Lane leather covers but he only does black. 

Doug

Doug, I am "correctly sized" at 5'8 (as opposed to Full Sized) and when I had MX5 seats in my spitfire it felt like my head was touching the roof. This is despite me chopping the bottom of the seat foams and mounting the seats as low as possible. Probably my seating position, but I had to revert to proper spitfire seats.

Re Owen, it may be worth speaking to him. I wouldn't be surprised if he would get some coloured hide in....no idea how much it would cost though?

(I think you may like the MX5. A lot. But a Triumph will always give you the "glad to have made it" sense of adventure)

Nick,

Look forward to seeing you at the 7 Stars. You might like to make a note that 2nd Thursday of month Locks Heath Classic Cars meet at Locks Heath Centre at 19.00. We have had 100 cars turn up recently of all denominations, but some from TSSC.

NeilF

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All.

Well i went to the southern meet at The 7 stars on Tuesday. I just want to say thank to all who made me feel very welcome. I was really impressed with the turn out and variety of Triumphs. I was only sorry i couldn't stay later.

Unfortunately i wont be able to attend the next meet as am on holiday. Corfu here we come.?

Anyway hope to see you all soon.

Cheers again Nick.