gt6 mk3 back brakes

Ian Faulds

quick question, would a full back brake system ie. drums,shoes, backplates adjusters be able to fit to a late gt6 to replace the gt6 system of auto adjust?

I had thought to change it to manual adjust but you cant seem to get the parts to do this either, so I wondered if I could use tr7 bits. anyone tried it?

Half shafts won't fit though tr7 are a full axle. Hence wondering if tr7 back plates would be anywhere near a fit. I read before on here of changing to manual adjusters but  I've searched and dolomite parts are rare too. I'll have to get a back plate and try. I believe 4speed and 5 are different.  I'll cost up back plates. 

Ian,

I fancied doing this, the self adjusters get bent, stop working and can't be re-shaped. Not one of Triumphs best designs! :angry: So I thought retro fit earlier mk3 adjustables.  

The late mk3 has wider drums and shoes plus bigger brake cylinders, which are getting hard to find as this configuration only ran for 9 months. So it might be a good idea, as you say, to change the whole lot?

But then there's the servo. They were fitted as standard when the rear brakes were changed and only work on the front wheels. Previously the servo was  an option and worked on all four wheels. I think when they beefed up the brakes they found the servo was too much for the rear end so relegated it to the front only. I've actually tried the servo on all four wheels and it does make the braking unbalanced with the late rear brakes. 

So maybe it'll be easier not to change the drums and shoes, I thought drill the existing back plate and fettle an earlier manual adjuster.

Doug

Mine is a 72 (L) with self adjust brakes but no servo. Well it didn't come with one. I don't think you can drill the backplate to fit the manual adjuster as it won't go opposite the wheel cylinder and you need to have that. The way written on here in a previous post is correct but parts hard to get. Just have to figure out a way round it. 

TR7 brakes are Lockheed, while GT6 are Girling. Whether one can adapt a TR7 backing plate to a late GT6 Mk3 hub, I don't know. To revert a late Mk3 to the earlier GT6 brakes, one would need to go back to a "Mk1" GT6 for the backing plates, etc., as the Rotoflex suspension backing plates won't bolt up to the swing-axle hub.

In short, I don't think there's anything inherently "bad" about the late Mk3 brakes other than the occasional difficulty in finding certain bits.

You both might well be correct. I am thinking in advance. The current set up is OK but spares are difficult. As a maintenance engineer I am always thinking of spares etc and wondering what will fit. Thanks poppy man for your offer of help. I am not at that stage just thinking ahead. The car is a late gt6 non rotoflex. There will be loads of questions to ask you chaps on here. Great advice. 

hi doug mine is a 72 and  chassis numbers and engine numbers match, don't know if its been converted but I have a load of receipts and nothing there. I bought the car 7 years ago, an old guy in middlesbro had bought a job lot from a collector and he was selling the gt6, a mk3 spit and a vitesse. it wasn't running when I bought it.  According to the heritage cert

it was built October 72, of course it might be a different chasis from a later car but again nothing in the receipts.

'72 would have be born with rotoflex, so something (quite a lot!) has changed. Anyway, to loose the self adjusters you need the back plates, drums etc from a Mk1 GT6 or Mk1 2LVitesse. These need to be swapped onto the longer GT6 Mk3 driveshafts or you could use a pair of 1500 spit long shafts as a base. This will give you the same braking system as the rotoflex cars and Mk1s have.

Quite a lot of effort and expense - you must really hate the self-non-adjusters!

Nick

it didn't come with a windscreen but the rest is sundym, the seats are cloth, but the needles pointed down, but for me its like a little orphan its here and that's what matters.

guess ill never know the wheres and why, but theres a reef of receipts, and ive got what ive got. ill live ok with the self adjusters, it was just a question as to what could fit if I couldn't get spares. 

On 9/22/2018 at 1:13 PM, Ben Caswell said:

could you possibly drill a hole in the back plate adjacent to the ratchet on the wheel cylinder and use a

screw driver to adjust the brakes.( thinking about it probably not???) Just a thought

Then put a grommet in the hole.

I have seen holes drilled in the drum a few times.... Similar to the moggy brakes.

Tony.

8 hours ago, Nick Jones said:

Pretty sure that the rear brakes are the same as Dolomite (except Sprint) and Toledo.  Possibly also TR7 (early 4 speed only), even Marina.

Nick

Certainly Toledo and I think 1300 have manual adjusters. I have a toledo..... and use the same brake shoes as  Gt6 and Vitesses (except the very last non roto GT6)

the 1850's had the self adjusters and used the same shoes as the non roto GT6.

The murky bit is the 1500, I am unsure what they were fitted with.

Sprints have the self adjusters and huge rear brakes (they had a sensing valve t reduce rear braking). I have a sprint axle on my Toledo, and drilled the drum. Just in case access is required.... (the sprint axle can be converted to manual adjusters, just pick up some TR4 rear brakes. Cheap as chips I expect)