Summers Over - Winter Storage

Hi,

idling the car to warm it up is bad for the engine. If you start the engine take the car for a long drive to heat the oil up properly and to guard against damaging condensation.

Don't use the car engine to charge/maintain the battery. Buy a battery conditioner if you don't have one.

Dehumidifiers, electric if you can afford the running costs or chemical ones are a good idea.

If I had a garage & money I would put it in a CarCoon or whatever its called. I have neither and my car is my daily. 

Cheers,

Iain.

• Like 1

My car is kept in a garage where I have a tumble dryer...this pumps out warm air when drying the clothes during winter and keeps the garage reasonably warm...Car was stored here for the past 17 years before recommissioning and its fair to say this saved the car...if it was kept outside, I doubt is she would be in the condition she is in now...I think I will keep starting her up and go for a 15 to 20 minute run when it is dry...In that way I think I should have all my bases covered...

Nautam

Doug,   A flat battery is a damaged battery, even if it will charge up again.  Far better to invest in a battery conditioner/charger.

Nautam,   A tumble drier pumps out warm air, that is loaded with moisture.  That will condense on cold metal and promote corrosion.    Far better (!) to vent that warm air outside.      A cold garage isn't a problem - a cold damp garage is!

JOhn

condition chargers .........keep an eye on Lidl   they are about £12  and mines out lasted the Ctek which gave up the ghost after a few years and its totally sealed you cant get inside to see why .

much cheaper but you have to reset its mode if powered off they are not fully automated but does a good job for a few quid

Pete

John,  AA says a battery should last 5/6 years, half that if you don't look after it. My battery cost £40 and since it's "damaged" will only last 3 years.  if I'd bought a trickle charger I could have extend battery life to 6 years. This saves me £40, but the trickle charger cost £65 plus the small, but constant, electricity charge.  I would have to wait till I bought the second replacement battery in 12 years time before I've saved money. Add to that that my current (:lol:) abused battery, (flattened at least three times) is now 4 years old and still working fine. Batteries are a disposable item, I get a new one when the old one acts up. If anybody's worried, disconnect your battery in October and charge up in March.

John/Tony, you may not be familiar with modern laundry techniques, I have a condensing tumble dryer, no external vent. Once or twice a month I empty the accumulated water, once ideal for car batteries, but not these days. I do hope Nautam's is a condenser!

Doug

Doug, yes mine dryer is a condenser tumble dryer...have to keep emptying out the plastic tank...Its probably why the car has no rust on it even though its been stored in the same place and condition for so long...

On cold days, I would assume there would be condensation forming on the garage windows if there was a lot of moisture but there isn't any so I think I should be OK...There is enough ventilation going through the garage I think which may also explain why there is no condensation at all.

I have a little back room which I use as a gym and on cold days when I'm rowing/cross training, condensation forms on the window but I don't empty out my 'tank'...I suspect I don't have a built in condenser! :P

I have a battery charger and keep the battery on permanent float...Recommissioned the car this year which included a new battery so battery should last a few more years I hope...

Nautam

• 5 weeks later...

Has anyone tried the solar-powered vents for car dehumidifying? If you have a garage with a window, and park the car so that the vent gets what light comes in, would they work sufficiently to keep air circulating through the car?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2x-Car-Ventilator-Fan-Solar-Powered-Auto-Vehicle-Window-Air-Vent-Radiator-Fans/263927095084?hash=item3d7347df2c:g:EoUAAOSwk6hba-fM

I had the same problem as Pete with the CTEK, it lasted a year then refused to play. CTEK's Customer Service reply was along the lines of: Sorry, we can't help, buy another one.