Summers Over - Winter Storage

Hi All...apologies for lack of form activity on the forum as I have been enjoying the summer with the Spitty/ Summer holidays/etc...

As summer is more or less over so I was wondering what I should do over the winter until the spring with my Mark IV Spitty...

The car is stored in the garage and I was thinking that over the Winter I should start the car up every 2 weeks, let it warm up a bit, move it a few time up and down the driveway and then repeat 2 to 3 weeks later...I have a battery charger to keep the battery charged and while the car is stored, keep it in neutral, leave handbrake off and roll the car from time to time to prevent tyre flat spotting.

I will only drive her around when dry as I do not want to drive her around with all the salt/wetness on the roads that come with Winter.

Of course, I will check oil water & dashpots before I start her.

In the meantime I will attempt to upholster the seats as I now have all the foams etc from Park Lane Classics so have some little projects to keep me busy over the dark Winter months...

Is this correct in terms of what you guys do over the Winter months? This is my first Winter since the car was recommissioned and I want to ensure she will be ready for fun in the Spring next year without any undue starting issues.

Many thanks

Nautam

in storeage i would blow the tyres up and extra 10psi , its a common thing to and helps any flats set in

do, put them down to normal   before driving again .

some might fancy a good squirt of engine oil in the plug hole , crank it over without starting to spread it around 

its a all down to what ever you feel is peace of mind 

pete

My covertible lives outside in winter under a suitable car cover. I leave it in neutral with handbrake off.

Every couple of weeks I at least start it and run it until warms up a bit and move it back and forth to rotate wheels. The battery gets a charge up from time to time. Windows are left slightly open to allow air to circulate and now that the heater works I will leave it in the on position.

As I live in a rural village I now have a "gizmo" that gives out an ultrasonic beep at random times to keep little creatures away who might like a meal of electric cables etc. I have no idea if it does any good but I feel better for it. I bought it last year after a visit to my local mechanic for a chat and he was working on a modern that had been left unused for a few winter months and a good part of the wiring under the bonnet had been eaten.

Thanks guys...I get the general gist...I like the Robert Dyas gizmo idea of keeping mice away...I thought if I started it and give her a little drive round the block, that should be OK plus the smell of a used car (oil/petrol/exhaust fumes) may keep little critters away...

When the car was sitting for 17 years in the garage, I'm sure some mice lived in the seats as the rotten seat foam was all over the place...this will change as I have new foams so will update and redo the seats this winter ready for next year.

Regards

Nautam

Modern fuel goes off with time, quickly.     Add some 'fuel stabiliser' to the tank, and run it (see below) to flush it through the engine.

Mice?  Get a cat.     We have two, and recently had to move a stray onto our Local Animal Rescue for rehoming when it tried to adopt us - your local organisation will have several lovely cats for you!

Nothing ages a car like not being used, except using it briefly so that it doesn't heat the engine through or use the systems.     Rather than that, choose your day, and take it out for a proper drive, 50 miles or more!

JOhn

25 minutes ago, JohnD said:

Modern fuel goes off with time, quickly.     Add some 'fuel stabiliser' to the tank, and run it (see below) to flush it through the engine.

Mice?  Get a cat.     We have two, and recently had to move a stray onto our Local Animal Rescue for rehoming when it tried to adopt us - your local organisation will have several lovely cats for you!

Nothing ages a car like not being used, except using it briefly so that it doesn't heat the engine through or use the systems.     Rather than that, choose your day, and take it out for a proper drive, 50 miles or more!

JOhn

Modern fuel going off, this is mentioned every now and then. Personally I have not had any problems with the car not being used much over winter, there are also 2 schools of thought about having the tank empty(ish) or full(ish). I don't do either I leave it as is.

Cats & mice? We have 4 cats and the only problems we have with mice is because a cat brings a live one home, puts it down while it eats some biscuits and then looks surprised the mouse has wandered off. After that it is "hunt the mouse" time for all . . . .

My race car is high compression, 10.8.  Runs fine on Shell V-Power 98 octane, but knocked when run on tank of over-winter fuel, stopped with a fill-up.    Loss of components by evaporation in modern fuel  may not be noticed by engines with lower compression but is a real effect.   It is recognised by the manufacturers, such as BP: https://www.bp.com/content/dam/bp-country/en_au/media/fuel-news/petrol-life-vehicle-tanks.pdf who pont out that the octane number of stored fuel may increase, but "this octane is not available".

Our (ex)male cat brings in RATS!     But it doesn't like the taste of rats and won't eat them, so leaves them under the kitchen table.     Dead bodies slightly better than the gory remnants  of a mouse-meal.   They are usually dead, only once has one been still alive, but the cat has a special call to announce his hunting prowess that I can can recognise and get the kitchen door closed.  He can then be persuaded to take it outside and finish it off.     This summer, neighbours were complaining of rats in their gardens, but they seem to have been controlled by our Lionel, so "Cats Rule".    Get a cat!

Take her and daughter to your local animal rescue centre - I can see several online.      A needy cat can melt any heart!

Rehoming isn't just taking the animal home.   The centre may want to inspect your home, and you!    And expect you to pay a significant fee, not just for their hard work, but for vet fees as they will not 'foist' on you an unhealthy cat  or one that hasn't been neutered or chipped.  The last is useful, even if the cat doesn't get lost, as modern cat flaps can recognise the chip of a resident cat and keep others out.   Often centres have adult cats available, which will be house trained, but ask the centre about their history.  Some will be known to be 'house cats' that never go out, and you need a mouser!

I like ginger cats - they seem to have more personality and overt friendliness, but that's bias!

John

21 hours ago, Nautam Mistry said:

Will need to get the thermals our then!

Nautam

1. Fix your heater - a Spitfire shoudn't be cold (once up to temperature).

2. As Gully said, just drive it.  I use my Spitfire all year around.  You DO need to keep washing it and giving it a good spray underneath to not give tin worm a chance to get its claws out.  Washing the car in winter is about the only time you would need your thermals.

3. If you must park it up, in addition to what's already been said use a length of wood to hold the clutch pedal pressed down.  Saves having to fight a stuck clutch come the spring.

48 minutes ago, Nautam Mistry said:

My daughter has been banging on at me to get a cat...I'd like one as I had one when I was a wee nipper...need to somehow get wifey to agree...she's never had a pet so lets test and see how good my powers of persuasion are...wish me luck!

Nautam 

I did'nt know triumphs had cat's...... :) 

• Haha 1

Hi All

My heater does work...suppose I'm being a 'weed' and should muscle up to my Spitfire responsibilities!!

Will start her up every 2 weeks and give her a run until warm...In that way the hassle factor come Spring will be severely reduced...Will check out the cat factor aspect too and let you know what happens...only problem is that I am allergic to cat fur!!...Great!

Nautam

we tried to get a rescue cat to join our 'poppy'  so you look at blue cross and rspca  both fill in a form to get approved , you cant make a visit 

without approval , you fill in the pages of form and send, you get a reply that just says if you dont hear from us in 48 hours your are unsuccessful

we didnt hear so they dont want to rehome anything...job for life looking after hundreds of moggies wantinga new homw , there is no clues as to whether the cat has been rehomed , your hairs the wrong colour or any clues it just says please try again...for what ,so  visit to our cats protection 

league solved the hassle , now have a jet black  ' Barley' to sit on the keyboard   as for the other two centres ....give up  dont bother 

Did a little search on the internet and found that Bounce is quite good at keeping mice at bay from your cherished classic...plus it keeps the car smelling fresh...just lay some of the sheets on the seats, under the bonnet, in the boot and wrap a sheet round the exhaust pipe and tie up with an elastic band....will see if this works or not before the cat option...

Nautam

16 minutes ago, Nautam Mistry said:

Did a little search on the internet and found that Bounce .... wrap a sheet round the exhaust pipe and tie up with an elastic band....

Nautam

Don't forget to remove it before running the car ?

• Haha 1

I used to have cats as a kid - but after I moved away to go to poly whenever I came home I would end up sneezing and wheezing. Not had a pet since - and when my parents bought a new cat used to have to keep visits to a very short duration. 

Shame as I do like them.  

Not a fan of laying our cars up but its your choice.I use my Herald and Vitesse (Vitesse owned since 1985) all year in any weather,went to Goodwood from Surrey a couple of years ago in November with the roof off at -2 degrees,lovely.

I think these cars need to be used,less use = more issues imho.Now off to get the clutch working...

Steve

Good reply’s. I was going to put mine into heated storage as I have no garage. However I need a few jobs doing on the car and tbh the cast of storage will pay for these. One job that does need doing is the rear diff seals which have leaked all year. Is it safe to get these done in the winter or will the lack of use dry these out and put me back to square one?  Should I wait to spring ?  

Grant