Kangaroo Juice.

Paul H

Hi went to Sheringham for a day trip in the Vitesse . Outward trip was fine , return was fine until 40 miles in,  then suddenly jerking kicking out of overdrive. Pulled over and couldn’t find anything obvious . Carrying on kangaroo actions in second , cured by foot to the floor , Happened in 3rd but not so vicious and in 4th but less again like a seesaw effect . To get home left overdrive alone and kept the revs high 3k plus and got home safely . I tested overdrive on the last mile and all ok. Total miles today 140 miles . We recently went to Ireland 1400 miles with no engine issues . 

My diagnosis is that it’s fuel related , all pipes are new, R9 where required , inline filters , hopefully will find a gremlin in the needle valve . 

The Irish trip was traditional points , last 300 miles converted to Accuspark electronic . Dizzy is Lucas , fuel pump has new diaphragm though will check 

Am I on the right track or missing something

Paul

3 minutes ago, Pete Lewis said:

Does sound a bit like  rubber  slivers   blocked needle valve , 

Cant be condenser  now youre on accuspark 

Carb diaphragms ??

Loose fuel line on the tank outlet sucking air ???

Does it start ok but misfire when demand

Pete

No misfire issues, starts on 1st or 2nd tug even after a couple of weeks . The rest of the day starts on first tug. Will check on tank outlet and diaphragms 

Paul

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE  just started stripping down the forward CDSE carb - diaphragm is fine though found these 2 pieces of crud in the float bowl. They look too large to have got through the needle valve. The float bowl was full but not leaking suggesting the needle valve is not sticking 

Could this be the cause of the Kangeroo bucking ? 

Next I need to check the needle valves 

carb1.thumb.JPG.21171db910baa01a87cb6de33c880501.JPG 

Paul 

3 hours ago, Pete Lewis said:

looks like the dreaded rubber slivers  cut off the inside when fitting  the fuel hoses 

i would have a look behind/remove the float valve

Pete

3 hours ago, Pete Lewis said:

looks like the dreaded rubber slivers  cut off the inside when fitting  the fuel hoses 

i would have a look behind/remove the float valve

Pete

Hi Pete nothing behind the float valves so the slivers got through the float valve !!!! No wonder the car performance was similar to a bucking bronco whilest  the slivers were forced through . I did check the offending items in the float bowl and one at least was a sliver of R9

Paul 

I think Ive found the source of the contamination - see pic - I used a cotton bud to wipe the interior of a short connecting section by the carbs . The R9 is going soft and is most likely to be fake - Purchased from Fleabay and lesson learnt - I feel a trip to TSSC Open Day on December 2nd  to buy some of the good stuff 

R9.thumb.JPG.ae456c5f62999966be0c03d3633f817b.JPG

Paul 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Colin Lindsay said:

A timely warning for the rest of us - thanks Paul.

Can I ask - who was the seller, and what sort of description was on it?

The seller doesn’t list R9 anymore. The key is not buy any Fuel line marked with  SAE J30 R9 . The genuine fuel line TSSC sells has no markings at all 

Paul 

Hello All

I had some hose like that on Spitty and after 1 year I could smell petrol and the outer was cracking and it had gone soft(its gone rock hard now its dried out!

I used Gates Barricade the fuel injection type(Spitty has fuel injection)

It is marked with name and type and multi fuel and bio fuel compatible etc 

You get what you pay for? but we all try to save the pennies! so it cost me more in the end and I could have lost the car if it burst(this is marked 225psi !!!)

Roger

2 hours ago, Paul H said:

The seller doesn’t list R9 anymore. The key is not buy any Fuel line marked with  SAE J30 R9 . The genuine fuel line TSSC sells has no markings at all 

Paul 

Did some more checking and found the EBay Seller https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/R9-Fuel-INJECTION-Rubber-Hose-Pipe-SAE-High-Pressure-Line-3-16-1-4-5-16-3-8-8mm-/161108103645?var=&hash=item2582ca91dd 

Paul