Seized rear, trunnions, (or not yet).

Hi. I don't think mine are seized as such, though this seems to be a common problem (Vitesse, etc) and difficult to take apart, due to corrosion?.  Worth looking at next time I the rear up (no jokes),  for preventative maintenance, as in, seeing if bolts can be freed and then copper lube. Or anything else to look for please?.

Thanks, Dave  

Hello Dave,

You are along the correct lines and partial disassembly to check such is a good idea, along with lubricating with Copperease.

There is another thread going where another contributor checks his rear trunnion bolts every year to ensure free movement - I have also added to that.

If the bolt can turn in situ then all is good, if it can move with persuasion all is good; but if it appears "dead with no movement" then not so good and you really do need to take action to free it up or else the situation will worsen and may worse case scenario require drilling out which Mike on the other thread may be looking at.

Regards.

Richard. 

yes you must be able to move the bolt along its length not just rotate it to prove that its not rusted into the trunnion sleeve (I believe they now come in SS to prevent this). I dont think I would take the bolt out completely as it'll be hassle to reassemble so instead just tap it through a bit and try to get some lube in.

While your there, if not done recently, you could grease the wheel bearings but best done with the drums off to check that excess grease isnt making its way into the brakes....

The way around to remove the trunnion bolt in full and to ease reassembly without disturbance to the set-up, is to tap it out using a bolt of similar length and diameter - that keeps the integrity of all the parts in situ.

Then Copperease the removed bolt and tap the temporary bolt out as the original goes in.

With the old nut removed, I would replace that with a NyLoc.

As johny says, any amount of lube going in has to help keep the bolt free moving.

Regards.

Richard.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Thanks. Is that a problem as far as using the car, or is it like front wishbone bushes, that still work ok with siezed bolts, as the the bush tube is clamped tight anyway?.

Would rather wait until I have remove drive shafts anyway, for some reason if I can.

Cheers, Dave

No, not if you've got a good hacksaw. You might have to slide the blade through the link then reattach the handle, as I remember doing before. I spent ages sawing this one out recently, in order to make up a good sized job lot for sandblasting, only to find that for some reason the entire housing was distorted and bent beyond use.

DSCF6566.jpg.dd727e15ed8dc132343403ac73042a50.jpg

• 5 months later...

Dave did you have to unseize the bolt through the rear trunnion - Ive just done the drivers side and it was really easy and have started the passenger side and its proving to be a nightmare - the bolts all seem in very poor condition and badly chewed, Ive managed to free the shock absorber and remove, the spring bolt is now free, however the tie bars bolts and the rear trunnion are another matter so any tips gratefully received. Im busy dousing the bolts and nuts with penetrating oil but Im not hopeful.

its generally cut through between the trunion and the upright  you can cut the head and nut off but will then have to spread the upright to get the remaining stud out of its hole   if you go down this idea make a spreader from studding and two nuts through the eye bolt holes to open the legs  ( !!)

pete

I will give it another good dose of penetrating oil and then think about cutting the bolt out, I need to go and buy a new hacksaw and some blades as my current one has had its day - can anyone recommend a quality blade as the ones I have are carp and blunt too quickly

1 hour ago, iana said:

I will give it another good dose of penetrating oil and then think about cutting the bolt out, I need to go and buy a new hacksaw and some blades as my current one has had its day - can anyone recommend a quality blade as the ones I have are carp and blunt too quickly

Avoid carbon steel or even HSS. Best bet are the Bimetal blades.

Irwin (now owned by Stanley) sandvik or eclipse are all decent brands. And the bimetal is worth the high price, they last!

1 hour ago, clive said:

Rotoflex trunnion bolt seized in the upright is a horrendous issue if seized. Often means a trip to an engineering company to drill it out, hopefully straight!

I can vouch for that Clive !!

Regards.

Richard.