Oil filter

iana

Colin the K&N HP3001 is 145mm high & 3/4in 16unf 28 thread,

the HP1010 is 95mm high & M20 1.5mm 

For mine i'm looking for 50mm high and 20mm 1.5 thread,                                                                                         I'd like 45mm high then the filter would sit dead upright,

Ive been emailing K&N  for my 50mm high and 20 mm thread still waiting for a reply, they keep telling me that they do not have the search ' by size' for oil filters, only for air filters, Iv'e had a moan

I knew they looked very long, but had no idea of the thread. I'll end up plaguing the local autofactors next week, with a sample filter for size and a thread gauge for thread.There's a Polish guy works in my local and he'll move Heaven and Earth to find what you want.

Hi,

From memory, the oil flow at 2000 RPM is around 3 GPM. Could a small volume filter, ie, 50mm long handle 20W oil without the bypass valve opening? I guess picking one with no bypass might be a good choice especially when mounted vertically with the inlet at the top?

I can see the point of not mounting the filter upside-down as in my install. My HOF200 is mounted vertically with the bottom at the top. I cannot move it from this angle as I have a tap-off point feeding the front bearings.

I have no pressure gauge fitted & I have no noise on start-up. I do have an unknown noise sometimes, I assume its something to do with the starter motor pinion?

Would be interesting if somebody could measure the DP across the filter at start-up. I believe there are pick-up points to facilitate this. Could be a way to judge if the filter needs changing before an oil change? No idea of numbers.

Additionally, from what I am told; FRAM oil filters are crap.

Cheers,

Iain.

• Like 1

On 09/03/2019 at 19:48, Guppy916 said:

Colin the K&N HP3001 is 145mm high & 3/4in 16unf 28 thread,

the HP1010 is 95mm high & M20 1.5mm 

For mine i'm looking for 50mm high and 20mm 1.5 thread,                                                                                         I'd like 45mm high then the filter would sit dead upright,

Ive been emailing K&N  for my 50mm high and 20 mm thread still waiting for a reply, they keep telling me that they do not have the search ' by size' for oil filters, only for air filters, Iv'e had a moan

Are you saying the M20 thread is identical to the 3/4unf? I know it will fit, but not convinced it is wise. I have heard people using Renault 5 filters with M20 threads on unf equipped cars and the filter blowing off. 

M20 is a commonly used thread on Japanese cars.