Oil filter

iana

I need to order an oil filter for the vitesse, its got a spin on conversion with a QFL0099 oil filter fitted, when I had a GT6 the filters for the spin off conversions was GFE166 , GFE173 or GFE 180, Coopers 19 or a Delphi 19. I had seen an offer with rimmers - are these any use or am I better buying a QFL0099 or one of the other filters?.

https://rimmerbros.com/Item--i-RR1243K

If memory severve me reet,

then the filter t,use was one fora reliant,

thee,s filters wer about 2 inch high, so it could be fitted  vertically doonwards,

no on a jaunty angle as most others are, cos the chassis is int road of it.

there quite a few diff filters ont market, but wid a different bolt size for filters

so ye may be better of change,n the bolt   t,the moer modern filters that are lower, if ye cant find  one.

this type only 74 mm deep, but need an adapter as its an M 20 thread.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FILTRON-Oil-Filter-For-MAZDA-6-OP617/192710577308?epid=656455986&hash=item2cde720c9c:g:MBsAAOSwj-Rb3KML:rk:2:pf:1&frcectupt=true

this,n only 58 mm deep, agen, M20 thread.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PURFLUX-Oil-Filter-For-SMART-FORTWO-LS948/292800736801?epid=24006999607&hash=item442c48ae21:g:-mEAAOSwsptb3ORa:rk:8:pf:0

its really best t,git yer oil filter hanging doonwards., so it dont drain oot as much.

M

Yes club shop may ev thee,s,, an others filters fit, but they are the wrong type,

its not the filter required

the filter required on a GT /Vitt is the small one, that will fit vertically

thee,s others dont, they sit at 45 or so degs

then folk wonder why the oil light teks so long t,go oot.

its cos yer loosing all yer oil oot the filter.

the Original adaptor for the GT / Vit was angled oot wards frae the engine, which meant a bigger filter could be used,

as the longer filter, wid the angled adaptor ..missed.. the chassis rail

but some where along the line, it was done away wid, and just the type for the saloon / TR 5/6 was left.

which is all wrong for a  GT / Vit

thee,s cars ev plenty of room fora bigg filter  sitt,n vertically.

M

M

Mann filters have a great site for looking up different filters and using the required thread the best I can find is a W77. This seems to have all the same characteristics as the normal spin on item (including non return and bypass valves) but is only 59mm in length. Its also used on a couple of Maserati car models (as well as the Fiat Cinquecento before you get too excited).....

https://catalog.mann-filter.com/EU/eng/catalog/MANN-FILTER Katalog Europa/Oil Filter/W 77

• 2 weeks later...

on my MK3 GT6, I use Crosland oil filter FD264, or a Motoquip VFL 344,

and Fram P/No 1174 fits as well

all with Rimmer's spin on adapter 

I use these because they are short in height and I can keep them as upright as possible 

IMG_3637.jpg

I got my convertor and filter from the club shop. Later I bought 4 filters as 4 have the same postage as one. The installation sits at an angle of around 45 degrees and it doesn't drain back, even after a winter lay off.  A lot of worry about drain back, but the engines were designed with it and the only thing really wrong is the dreadful clatter. I wonder if a short filter is as efficient/effective as a longer one?

Doug

I think mine is less than 45 deg, I to was worried about drain back, so I have kept it as upright as possible which is why I went with the shallow filters only 50 mm high, and change it more often, I use Classic light 20/60 oil, 5L for £30 inc

2 hours ago, dougbgt6 said:

only thing really wrong is the dreadful clatter.

The sound of your bearings banging themselves to death against the crank journals...... only? 

On 19/02/2019 at 19:26, johny said:

the best I can find is a W77

Nice compact filter with anti-drain valve.  Our only concern was it's low internal bypass pressure of just 0.8 Bar which we felt could result in the element was being bypassed when the oil is cold?

Hello Nick 

Do you really think cold oil would lift a 12psi valve?

I use the W916/1 which is 0.9 or 13.5psi

I this another reason for using modern synthetic oils?

But surely the manufacturer allows for cold oil?

I thought it was just there for if the filter got very dirty?

Roger

33 minutes ago, dougbgt6 said:

As I said, the engine was designed to cope with it. 

Doug

Really? An engine designed to run with no oil pressure/flow though the crank bearings? Nobody would choose to do that to an engine. And there are no "features" to help matters. 

I do wonder if the orientation of many spin-on conversions makes matters worse than the original setup. 

If you look at the MGB 1800 engines, certainly the later engines (possibly early too, but I have no hands-on experience with those) had the spin-on filter pointing straight up. To help they had the centre oil return pipe extended deep into the filter. And the anti-drain valve "stops" or reduces oil drain from the filter. Sadly if the oil filter is pointing up, all the normal oil filters supplied will drain back, even if they have an anti-drain valve. However, fitting a double valved filter will help.

18 minutes ago, clive said:

Really? An engine designed to run with no oil pressure/flow though the crank bearings? Nobody would choose to do that to an engine.

Clive, Triumph did exactly that!

19 minutes ago, clive said:

And there are no "features" to help

Which says you know they did. :lol:

Doug

only engines  that,l run wid nee oil on shells are roller bearing type.

Doug, if it dont drain back, then   wots this  awfull  clatter that yer hearing,

its yer engine slowly wearing its sel   away,!!

Its  quite easy  t, change threads,so moer filters available

Gupps on the right track,

Butt, its no just the oil in filter an its housing, its the oil in the gallery,

that half roond bit, sit,n  just above filter an running all way along engine,

It drains out, an also teks time t fill up,

thats why a rattle can still be heared  AFTER the oil light is just gone oot,

as oil has just put the OPS out, but oil aint got t,the bearings yet.

A verticle filter helps here, as the oil pump is just fill,n half the adaptor, and not the filter

angled filter empty owa time,  

Not only that, but them adaptors wid oil teks offs, are an engines executioner if fitted wid the 3/8th  10mm tails,

oil pump is 15 mm t,filter, so yer just strangling the oil flow

a couple of threads here for them no up onit

https://club.triumph.org.uk/menu/7909/item/43830/view?messagepage=1

https://club.triumph.org.uk/menu/6023/item/460493/view

12 hours ago, rogerguzzi said:

Hello Nick 

Do you really think cold oil would lift a 12psi valve?

I use the W916/1 which is 0.9 or 13.5psi

I this another reason for using modern synthetic oils?

But surely the manufacturer allows for cold oil?

I thought it was just there for if the filter got very dirty?

Roger

The W916 is a bit longer but the W77 has another version which is the same small size but with a 2.2bar bypass pressure for really cold oil.....

10 hours ago, GT6M said:

Doug, if it dont drain back, then   wots this  awfull  clatter that yer hearing,

M,

suggest you re-read the thread. I used to have rattle until I got a spin on, now noise eliminated.

11 hours ago, GT6M said:

A verticle filter helps here, as the oil pump is just fill,n half the adaptor, and not the filter

angled filter empty owa time,  

Really?!!. Surely the pump is pumping into the adaptor, not drip feeding. The filter is certainly full when I change it

Mine's on at 45 degrees and works fine. 

Doug

Can anyone explain how the anti-drain function in filters works (probably been covered before many times).

Many vehicles seem to have the filter mounted to the side of the block (filter horizontal) and also vertically (base of filter upwards, including my wife's Skoda Yeti, I think) so if we use an anti drain filter does it matter.

Nick has achieved a reasonable down angle in his Vitesse with the long Mann filter, but only because the engine has been sneaked back an 1" or so. 

I have a spin on kit and long Mann filter to fit, but have yet to get round to it. Filter sticking upright would be a very neat install if it works.

Ian

Ian,

On our cars it's just a crude flap in the oilway inside the filter. One guy on the old forum used to go to the motor factors, line up the relevant stock and blow and suck the filters with a tube until he found the one with the most resistance. That was when we had motor factors. It may be that the Skoda flap is not in the filter but in the block. Would one mounted vertically work on our cars? I have seen them almost horizontal.

Doug