fuel tank sender position

p7rider

After having trouble with after market sender units I finally got what I think is an original . It looks the right design came in a box and has Wipec marked on it.

However when I fitted it ,in I hope the only position it will go, an empty tank still reads 1/3 full.

I realise I can bend the arm slightly to set this or it might be catching somewhere.

But I can fit it with the arm and float either behind or in front of the petrol feed pipe going to the outlet of the tank .

Any advice on which side it should be would be welcome.

thanks Anglefire, I was thinking in front of the tube as the original design doesn't  project so far into the tank as pattern ones. I wish I had kept the original for a pattern (which stopped working) Just didn't imagine it would be such a pain.

• Like 1

Ive been fighting a poor fuel reading in my Vitesse for years and got an improvement by straightening the sender float rod so that zero really is zero now. However I still cant get more than 3/4 full and although Ive checked internally it must be snagging somewhere because once removed I can get a 100% reading. To check this Im going to fashion a wire hook to put through the filler and engage with the float rod so that I can lift it up in situ and verify its range of movement......

OK I've got it fitted and happy that I get a full reading range. Looking forward from the boot I've got it going myside of the fuel feed pipe. 

Then a slight bend inwards to stop it rubbing , and another one up to obtain a zero reading.

• 1 month later...

If you have the clip in plastic float make sure you clip it on the right side, when I got the Dolly Sprint I took it on a long club run (350klm) all OK from full to just below half, then I thought I was getting great fuel consumption UNTIL I spluttered to a stop whilst doing 110kph. I removed the sender from the tank & the tank was empty not a drop in there, fortunately club members to the rescue eventually worked out the float was fitted incorrectly 180 degrees out! a year later tank went empty by the gauge, checking the plastic float it had holed where the wire clip holds it at the end.

Fortunately I had a lot of spares of the plastic floats easy fix and the Dolly sender is mounted in the tank top surface so no draining reqd, a rare easy access job on a Dolly Sprint.

Peter T

• 4 weeks later...
On 20/03/2019 at 21:36, Anglefire said:

I fitted a new one - and it reads 3/4 full at best. But does seem to read empty. Which is the important bit! 

I bent it so it was in front of the tube. - behind it seemed to catch on the lower half of the tank. 

Went out in mine today for the first time in a long time - and it was showing empty on the gauge - so pulled in for some fuel and got 21ltrs in - which seems my gauge is not as good at showing empty as I thought :( 

1 hour ago, Anglefire said:

Went out in mine today for the first time in a long time - and it was showing empty on the gauge - so pulled in for some fuel and got 21ltrs in - which seems my gauge is not as good at showing empty as I thought :( 

At least it is more economical than you thought Mark :)  Wished i could say that about my 2500 :( 

Tony.

My recent experience of fitting a new sender unit was similar - bending the wire arm to get the best result.

The other issue I had was that although a brand new aftermarket part, the rubber ring fitted around the float to cushion the float against the tank (when nearly empty) was obviously not ethanol friendly. It swelled in size and came off the float. It then sank to the bottom and would periodically block the end of the suction tube causing fuel starvation. 

It took ages to get to the bottom of that problem. Many strip downs of the carbs and fuel pump before I figured out what was happening. As soon as the engine stopped, the suction dissipated and the rubber ring would float away - curing the problem - until next time....

So.. if you use ethanol fuel (cheap supermarket) then test the rubber ring in a jar of that fuel to see if it reacts.

Good luck

David