Leaf Spring Refurbishment

My car is 50 this year, so I am looking at her suspension, I am about to replace the  shock absorbers and front springs, should I be replacing the rear leaf spring or refurbishing it by repacing the rubber thrust buttons, is it the kind of thing that needs replacing due to losing it's 'spring' or am I just making work for myself and just leave it alone?

1 minute ago, Pete Lewis said:

it doesnt hurt to strip the leaves and fit new pads .

but left alone it will probably be ok anyway

that doesnt help much   sorry 

Pete

Pete

I have a slight lean to one side (drivers side), is wear on the rear leaf spring likely to be contributing to this issue?

I know I have to jack up the car to look at the front and the rear to see where the problem is but was in the process of replacing the front shocks and springs and rear shocks in any case so was waiting to see if that has a positive affect.

KB

leans can come from anywhere , yes jack the front  then the rear  as  centrally as possible so you now which end has the lean 

can be anything from a anti roll bar , to dropped diff mounts , and all parts in between .

theres no simple answer other than its a classic  when you find the fault it never cures the problem ...its built in defeat.

Pete

• Like 1

Had a day off yesterday and started to jack my car up from the front to see where the possible lean was, I got the front jacked up and there is a definate lean to the back back drivers side so think the starting point has to be the shocks and play with the rear spring. At that point I got a call from someone who needed my services urgently so had to close the garage door (again!) taking the wheels off tomorrow to go in for powdercoating so will have a look at what the front is doing.:-)

Hi   what car is this ???

Theres no gas in the rear shockers they sit static  , no reason why they would make a lean or affect ride heights

Do check the drive shaft thats visible is same length both sides

Then is siezed trunnions or back to a saggy spring

Dont forget the diff mounts control the body/spring relationships

Pete

7 minutes ago, Pete Lewis said:

Hi   what car is this ???

Theres no gas in the rear shockers they sit static  , no reason why they would make a lean or affect ride heights

Do check the drive shaft thats visible is same length both sides

Then is siezed trunnions or back to a saggy spring

Dont forget the diff mounts control the body/spring relationships

Pete

Thanks for the advice Pete

The car is Spitfire MK3, I will take a look tomorrow at your other pointers tomorrow.

KB

A shocker thats seized up wil affect heights , you may just be able to pop the lower eye off the mount to eliminate them 

There are two drive shafts the later were 1/2" longer , a quick tape measure of the shaft when under will show up any mis match

Not uncommon for these to get mixed and not matched can show as wierd camber on one side 

Pete

I've had the same problem with my late Mk3. I replaced the rear shocks (twice) and the rear spring for what I thought was a decent one and I still have the same issue.

I may either refurb the spring I took off or send it to someone who actually knows what they're doing 😂 and then swap it back in and see how that works.

I heard someone say that you can put a Mk4 spring in, is that correct?

SP

Pete may correct me on this but I don't think the spring is directional, so if you have a driver's side sag due to a tired (non-swing) spring it should be possible to turn it round and get a passenger-side sag instead. If you mostly drive one-up then your weight will tend to level the car out 😛

19 minutes ago, NonMember said:

Pete may correct me on this but I don't think the spring is directional 😛

I bought a brand new Herald Estate rear spring many moons ago and it said 'front' on the top. This would have been an indication of directional fitting except that the lettering was stamped along one edge, so I've no idea if the lettering was to go to the front - in which case it read backwards when viewed from the rear of the car - or if it was fitted so that the lettering read correctly from the rear, in which case it was at the back. I fitted it with the word at the front, even if it was then upside down, and have no idea if it ever made any difference.

I usually fit them so that the nuts on the brackets are at the back, to reduce corrosion.

The NOS GT6 swing spring I bought didn't say anything at all, so again I fitted it with the bolt heads at the front. 

For component parts other than leaves (no idea if they do the nylon buttons, though) try this lot:

https://www.gbsprings.co.uk/heritage-car-springs/

32 minutes ago, NonMember said:

so if you have a driver's side sag due to a tired (non-swing) spring it should be possible to turn it round and get a passenger-side sag instead.

... or even swap alternate leaves to try and even out any bias!

Cheers, Richard

If the sag is potentially due to the spring would it be best to get the spring refurbished by GB springs? Out of interest I have sent them an enquiry to see the price difference between buying a new spring and having the old one refurbished?

If the spring has had a lifetime of weight primarily on one side it would surely not be unreasponable to assume that the leaves may have a memory to that side? The next poll is do I stick with a standard spring or change to a swing spring, heard so many arguments for an against? I have ordered new shocks all round and front springs so whilst everything is apart I am tempted to do it all in one hit and hope that it comes down looking good!:unsure:.

1 hour ago, Pete Lewis said:

yes a swing  spring  +  box and associated fittings +  brake pipe routes need to clear the large and mobile spring eye 

pete

Pete

If you buy a Mk3 spring kit from Rimmers do you still have to re route the brake pipes?

On 23/05/2019 at 13:29, s99sdp said:

Let us know the outcome of the enquiry you sent to GB springs please.

SP

GB Springs no longer refurbish springs as they states it makes them brittle?

New spring from them is £100 inc delivered.

• 4 weeks later...
On 31/05/2019 at 06:23, rolyberkin said:

GB Springs no longer refurbish springs as they states it makes them brittle?

New spring from them is £100 inc delivered.

Have you installed your new spring yet? If so, how does it look now?

SP

• 4 months later...

After 3 months of many attempts to get a reply from GB Springs they've finally got back to me!! Yay!!! 

I'll get the spring delivered in the next week or so and maybe have it down as a Christmas project to replace that and all the rear end bushes.

I clearly don't like having money in my pocket.

SP