Dual circuit master cylinder

Clive

Has anybody got one fitted on a spitfire? 

I would like to know the max width as assume it is symmetrical. Not including the connections..

If anybody could measure one I would be grateful (not sure if late gt6 are the same size?)

Hi Clive. Mine is 79mm wide. I don't think they were fitted to UK GT6's, only very late Spits. Don't forget the tub had a little "well" welded in to allow for the extra length, similar to what's behind the battery (which was for LHD USA cars). Also, the bracket is different so the MC sits at a different angle, slightly lower than the clutch.

Cheers, Richard

We have a local spit 1500 with dual  circuit and pdwa valve its split fronts back  not diagonal

And there are two  versions of pdwa the seal,0,rings are very different diameters.

And some stupid costs for 0 rings and  a washer easy to strip and re build but search costs  the kit is only worth pennies.

Pete

10 hours ago, rlubikey said:

Hi Clive. Mine is 79mm wide. I don't think they were fitted to UK GT6's, only very late Spits. Don't forget the tub had a little "well" welded in to allow for the extra length, similar to what's behind the battery (which was for LHD USA cars). Also, the bracket is different so the MC sits at a different angle, slightly lower than the clutch.

Cheers, Richard

Thank you Richard

79mm is wider than I hoped.think it is a non starter. 

I may need to use a small reservoir cylinder, and the extension to get extra fluid capacity.

Who thought a change to a concentric slave cylinder would be such a faff? (Ok, if I had my crystal ball out when I did the engine conversion it would have been easier, but hindsight doesn't help much)

1 hour ago, Pete Lewis said:

its split fronts back  not diagonal

I thought it was you told me diagonal? I must have read it somewhere, maybe a USA site, they do things differently there? Also the PDWA is more trouble than it's worth, or is that another figment of my imagination? I had a molar out yesterday, still full of drugs. :wacko:

Some slight research reveals SEATs have dual diagonal braking systems. They say it's safer. 

"If one of the circuits fails, the second ensures residual braking. This stabilises the car and prevents spinning by means of a negative scrub radius." Whatever that means! :blink:

Doug

Modern cars are all diagonal split. The theory is that, whichever circuit fails, you still have one front wheel doing some braking. It needs the suspension geometry to be pessimised for normal use, so that braking with a failed system is still safe, but as all modern cars have power steering anyway, that's considered acceptable.

I didn't think Triumph used diagonal split on any model, with the possible exception of the Acclaim, or maybe TR7. Certainly it wouldn't play well with a remote servo on one circuit only!

Doug  Me,,,  reckon  we might have been on modern mode not historic mode   Ha!

Spllt line in the 70s wasnt that clever   

The car I reworked had pedal to the floor , he thought that was normal, both rear cyls pouring out,  no harness on the pdwa

No fluid in reservoir, master cyl seals leaked between the 2 sections   

So front back, diag xidnt matter ...just no brakes and no warning and no idea !!!!

Pete

• 1 month later...

Hi, 

Thought to append my question to this post. Hope OP does not mind.

My GT6/Spit1500 has a single master cylinder 0.625/5/8". I am looking for a company that sells a good quality Tandem cylinder that I can buy.

I don.t want to end up buying a poor quality copy or a non-standard small caped reservoir type.

Any places I should buy from to get the part I am looking for? OEM part would help if what I buy is OEM part. A lot of kak out there.

Thanks & Cheers,

Iain

Hi Iain. I believe the original part was made by TRW. Unfortunately the TRW brand has been bought out and, looking in the TR-Register forum, quality has gone down and back up two or three times since then. Mine was TRW branded when I bought it new about 10 years ago, shortly after the TRW name had been bought. The quality was not good and the as new part was sent off to be reconditioned. It's been fine since. That's not a reassuring story, I know.

Don't forget you'll need to let a "bowl" recess into the bulkhead (like behind the battery) and also the lower master cylinder bracket, so it misses the bonnet!

Cheers, Richard

• Thanks 1

Hi,

I have been looking at this model: GMC226. One example below.

"This item is manufactured in the UK by TRW (formerly Girling) and is supplied NEW and boxed. For reference, the Part No. is GMC226."

Outputs seem to me to be on the wrong side but can not find another with different o/p side.

The bulkhead bulge is taken care off but unsure if the mounting bracket needs changing?

Is Merlin or CBSonline mentioned as the GMC226 available today not suitable?

Cheers,

Iain.

Hi,

I guess LHD cars got it first.

I don't feel the need for a PDWA & instead, I will fit a float switch as my existing single cylinder. I guess I should wire it up this time.

Am I going to need a new bulkhead bracket??

Cheers,

Iain.

Edited by Spitfire6
  • Like 2

You "may" need a new bracket, there are 3 (I believe) variants, all slightly different angles. And you will need the "bowl" behind the resevoir. You may well have that on the nearside ready for LHD applications....

The idea of a warning light appeals to me. A universal one??

• Thanks 1

Iain, here are some pictures of the brake and clutch MCs in my car. The brake MC bracket is out of a 1979 Spit, my old blue one. Not that the clutch MC is much closer to the brake than a normal car so as to make room for the PI inlet plenum. The clutch pedal has a double bend (jog) lower down so the pedal is in the normal position.

From the side you can see that the top of the dual MC is horizontal. Sorry about the throttle cable obscuring the bracket. There's about 1/2"  difference in the height of the brake & clutch brackets.

Photo0549.jpg

From the front the MC cap  is a bit higher but still misses the bonnet. Parallax has made the two brackets look the same height.

Photo0551.jpg

The brake pipes come out of the off-side - much easier to access if some fool has moved the clutch that much closer than normal! I don't remember clearly, but I think the bracing between the bulkhead and shelf may also be lower than on a pre-79 Spit. If so, we would have transferred these from my old blue Spit as well as the "well" in the bulkhead.

Photo0552.jpg

Hope this is of some help.

Cheers, Richard

• Thanks 1