Ex America semper aliquid novi!

JohnD

Or,  Always something new from America!     Why is it that Americans seem to find out new things about Triumphs that no one has noticed before?    Over on the Triumph Experience, a GT6 owner has a Mk2 with a Mk1 engine, he says.      And the block has the word "Special" cast into it!   No one on that site can explain it.

See: https://www.triumphexp.com/forum/spitfire-and-gt6-forum.8/

F918F793-4A8B-4FFF-96F6-81D5C4E5DD0A.jpeg

I've asked the OP about the block number - let you know.      Can anyone say what this casting mark means?

John

John, 

Just been and looked at the (original from build) engine in my Mk1 and there is definitely no 'bulge' on the casting where 'Special' is.  The is also no bulge on the other two spares, both stepped head 2ltrs.  Probably does not help the colonial,  although his 'KD' prefix matches the lower compression/anti-smog engine.

Dick

4 hours ago, dave.vitesse said:

It may have been a special block produced for K Kastner the US Triumph Competition Manager. The factory did produce special part for him.

Dave 

Good thought, Dave, but I'm told that KK's 'special'  race engines were numbered  KD70x and KD79x.     A block that was left over and put on the assembly line?

John

• Like 1

I saw that too & am interested as to why/what the "SPECIAL" relates to?

He states it's a Mk1 engine in a Mk2 GT6, I have a very early August 68 Vitesse Mk2, Eng No. HC502xxHE which is flat sided ie no bulges that I can see & feels flat with no strengthening rib at the bottom (my photo isn't too good), I also have a spare Mk2 Saloon 2000 engine MF58xxxHEP which has the bulges, see photos, presumably this was a common block with the bigger throw crank 2500 Mk2 engine.

So why would a Mk1 GT6 (pre 68) engine have the bulges from the later Mk2 Saloon engine. & when did the Mk2 Vitesse and GT6 Mk2/3 get the later block.

Peter T

Vitesse Aug 68 Mk2 Eng Block - HC502xxHE.jpg

Saloon Mk2 Auto 2000 Engine - MF58xxxHEP.JPG

Peter, your pic shows a very late block with the bulges and strengthening rib.  Earlier versions also exist with bulges but without strengthening rib, and before that, the flat sided ones.

I'm not sure of the dates the various changes appeared but I don't think any Vitesse or Mk2 GT6 would have had blocks with bulges from the factory.

I'd also say (on the shaky basis of only one pic) that the OPs "special" block has bigger bulges than any of the later standard factory ones. So it's definitely an odd one.

Nick